Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2006 7:56:51 PM EDT
Okay, so I looked at a lot of the slings you can get, and wanted a sling that puts the rifle in the muzzle down, vertical, front and center position, but I didnt have any capital to spend on such things (poor college student getting ready to ship to basic soon)...THEN:

My MSII instructor was giving us random advice about LDAC (he was a TAC last year and returns this year). One of the things he told us to do was dummy cord our rifles with 550 cord. I dont think its what he had in mind, but this is what I came up with combining the concept:

make a short dummy cord, total length about 12-14" long, requiring about a 25-30" length of cord, by tieing the ends together in a parallel knot

using the attatchment point on the shoulder of either the LBE or LBV (if LBV you must use a part that is sewn down on both sides, not the snap down part), thread the clean (unknotted) end of your cord UP through the point (whether it be metal ring or nylon slot).

thread that end DOWN through the loop until it comes all the way up and down. You now have a big loop hanging off your shoulder.

pull it nice and taught by the very end with one hand, grasp the middle with the other. let go of the end and allow the lower half to seperate back into a keyhole/loop shape. reach through the loop with the free hand and grab the taught upper half.

pull what you have reached through the loop to grab back where you reached from. this makes a loop that sinches tight the further down you pull it. push it all the way up to make it as big as possible. insert buttstock of rifle, sinch the loop tight against the stock where it is closest to the reciever and has the smallest diameter.

I will attemp to take demo pics of this if I can get a rubber ducky for a few minutes, or maybe next week at LAB if we do a STX.

This produces a very cost effective, very secure, comfortable single point sling that keeps your weapon ready to go, and pointed in a safe direction. I wouldnt recommend it for hands free use, but it will certainly keep you from losing you weapon, and keep out of trouble with people who are constantly looking to get on to you for your muzzle being pointed wrong or your weapon not being at a ready position.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
sinch the loop tight against the stock where it is closest to the reciever and has the smallest diameter.

Please do not wrap cords, webbing, zip-ties or hose clamps around the buttstock or receiver extension tube of the M16 series weapons.  Such wraps have the potential to rotate about the stock/tube and prevent you from charging your weapon or clearing a malfunction.  

Daniel Defense, Tango Down and several other mfg's make single point adapters which don't compromise your primary's reliability.

Best,

Southern
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sinch the loop tight against the stock where it is closest to the reciever and has the smallest diameter.

Please do not wrap cords, webbing, zip-ties or hose clamps around the buttstock or receiver extension tube of the M16 series weapons.  Such wraps have the potential to rotate about the stock/tube and prevent you from charging your weapon or clearing a malfunction.  

Daniel Defense, Tango Down and several other mfg's make single point adapters which don't compromise your primary's reliability.

Best,

Southern

oooooooh, good catch. I only tried it on the rubber ducky and my AK at home. Dont know why I assumed it wouldnt interfere with the charging handle...silly cadets...damned rubber duckies...stupid dummy cords...did I mention silly Cadets?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]
At least you are thinking about your kit and how to be more effective.  

I have seen guys with enough experience that they should have known better wrapping stuff around the same area.  Hopefully, they will figure out the flaw of this method on the training field and not the battlefield.

southern
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
As posted, what you propose will end up causing functional problems.  However, your idea is similar to what a lot of 11 series guys have done for years.  Just shorten your loop and run it through your lower sling swivel.  But a D ring through the other free end, and snap that onto your LBE/LBV.  However, I don't recommend this either as there are now a wide variety of single points currently available for not a lot of scratch.
In addition, it sounds like your MSI is pretty tolerant.  Don't expect that go-fast mod to get by the cadre at Advance Camp.  You must all be equally miserable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As posted, what you propose will end up causing functional problems.  However, your idea is similar to what a lot of 11 series guys have done for years.  Just shorten your loop and run it through your lower sling swivel.  But a D ring through the other free end, and snap that onto your LBE/LBV.  However, I don't recommend this either as there are now a wide variety of single points currently available for not a lot of scratch.
In addition, it sounds like your MSI is pretty tolerant.  Don't expect that go-fast mod to get by the cadre at Advance Camp.  You must all be equally miserable.

Im just going to get a three point, because I'll still need to be able to go Sling Arms sometimes. I wont get it until after AIT, and yes I know later when I return I wont be able to use it at LDAC.

I wont say anything about how good are bad we are. We are like any other program. We have guys who are  hooah and are always at PT and have been to airborne, air assualt, some prior service guys, guys who will get all Es at LDAC. We also have retards and fuckups who shouldnt be trusted with a cap gun (fortunately, I dont think any of them are contracted)
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wont say anything about how good are bad we are. We are like any other program. We have guys who are  hooah and are always at PT and have been to airborne, air assualt, some prior service guys, guys who will get all Es at LDAC. We also have retards and fuckups who shouldnt be trusted with a cap gun (fortunately, I dont think any of them are contracted)

My comment on being miserable had nothing to do with the quality of your bat:  I was referring to the habit of lifer-types to adhere to some reg beyond the influence of reality.  I meant that you must all be forced to endure arduous conditions and be equally uncomfortable, as opposed to somebody with initiative trying to make thier job a little easier through private purchase items.
As for quality of troops, I had one guy in my bat that started throwing rocks at the OPFOR saying they were grenades.  There is a reason to have the rubber gun squad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Got no problem with that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My comment on being miserable had nothing to do with the quality of your bat:  I was referring to the habit of lifer-types to adhere to some reg beyond the influence of reality.  I meant that you must all be forced to endure arduous conditions and be equally uncomfortable, as opposed to somebody with initiative trying to make thier job a little easier through private purchase items.
As for quality of troops, I had one guy in my bat that started throwing rocks at the OPFOR saying they were grenades.  There is a reason to have the rubber gun squad.

Roger that. I know at basic I will have to use such primitive technology as canteens, two point slings, BCGs,  cotton t-shirts, etc. Then later on when I do LDAC Ill be back to the same. But damn it, when I go to Iraq Im having my camelback, three point sling, oakleys and under armour.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top