Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 3:42:42 PM EDT
Ever see the foam in a FN FiveSeven box?

Like styrofoam, only black and very dense, yet lightweight..... Where does one find this wonder foam?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about that specific kind of foam.. but there is a product on the market that will form itself to your weapon (or anything that you care to put in it). It is a crack sealant for housebuilders. When you spray it from the can, it will swell up 20-30 times its original size, and form a fairly hard (not rock-hard) mold of whatever you've put it in. Of course, if you want to put a gun in it, you'll have to wrap it in plastic or the foam will stick to the gun...
Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
AZ-K9 is talking about closed cell foam.  

Check out pelican or starlight cases.  They can be ordered with closed cell foam.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
AZ-K9 is talking about closed cell foam.  

Check out pelican or starlight cases.  They can be ordered with closed cell foam.

Nope, that foam is NOWHERE close to this foam. This is neat stuff. I have two Starlights and the foam is nothing compared to this (density wise).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I think its a type of pour foam, two parts.  You can get it at boating stores in jugs or cans.  Its used to fill boat hulls or make flotation devices.  very light weight stuff.  Dont know the technical term, i think its pour foam.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
oh yeah, i see now.  i didn't see the picture before.  it does look like white polystyrene...

i suppose you could make a mold of whatever you want to fit in the case out of wood, coat it in silicone, suspend it in the bottom half of the case and fill 'er up for a nice custom job...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
www.foamonline.com
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered my replacement from:

HERE
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go buy a bunch of Five Seven's.

I've toyed with one, and I may be in the minority here, but the foam was the most impressive thing about it. I was not impressed with the shitty trigger, plasticky overall feel, roughy cycling and grip contour. I guess novelty will sell a lot of pistolas.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the closed cell foam you are talking about anything like what computer equipment is packed in?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.lpsind.com/Instapak.htm

Tag for this
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag for this

I changed my post for that... although cool to make custom molded case fitments... I just saw that the warmer for the packs is megabucks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tag for this

I changed my post for that... although cool to make custom molded case fitments... I just saw that the warmer for the packs is megabucks!

Yup I saw that.  But depending upon it's application and what you're using it for I find it could be very handy.  I have some gear I ship back and forth to my self when I go on trips.  This will come in handy for that very reason.  The start up is going to be a bitch but I hope it will pay off later on.  I already lost one very nice scope to the buttery fingers of a shipper that decided to test gravety.  This just might work better than the other foam and peanuts.

It's a good idea all around.  even though its pricey.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably is a great investment and you can always do packages for friends and family.

All the better if work does shipping and you can convince them to invest in the system.

I remembered getting a few things shipped to me packed in the foam and thought it was very effective.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top