Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2006 5:38:38 AM EDT
A man I've been doing freelance work for is moving from the Dallas area to LA in a few months.  His family has been trying to sell off most of what they own to make the trip lighter.

Yesterday, he told me he would GIVE me his American Security fire-rated gun safe for FREE.  His only condition was that I find a way to move it myself.

So, it looks like I'm getting an American Security gun safe.  It's about 3 years old, looks 95% new inside and out, and is about 3 years old.  He said he paid 800-900 for it.

Is there anything I should know or consider when it comes to this brand of safe?  And how the crap do I get it up a flight of stairs?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Call a moving company. Safe moving usually isnt that expensive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Call a moving company. Safe moving usually isnt that expensive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for more insight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
get an appliance dolly, pump up the tires a bit too much and a few buddies.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Call Liberty Safes of Texas, Inc, 972-272-9788

I do EVERYTHING myself.  I WONT move a safe.  Trust me.

Libert moved my CH-50 (huge) for a VERY, VERY fair price, and did an OUTSTANDING job.  They came out, removed the doors in the home, laid down plywood, removed the lock and handle, moved the safe, wrapped it in foam and cardboard, strapped it on a specially made trailer, moved it 20 miles, and did the same thing in the new house.  Bolted it to the floor even.

They were on time, professional, and I cannot recommend them more.  I almost never pay for services when I can do them myself.... but after I saw what was involved, I tipped them more than 20% over their quoted price.  Well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Why in this forum?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Must be nice, I just paid $3000 for my Liberty.

FYI, that included $250 for delivery and setup.  For a safe that weighs 1210 pounds, I consider it money well spent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've hired a professional "safe mover" to do the work.   I can't wait till Saturday afternoon!  Then I'll have to fill it up with more stuff!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I literally aomost killed myself trying to move a safe down a flight of stairs.  Call the Pro's
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
A FREE FRIGGIN' SAFE?!!!

Butthole!  Fart-knocker!  Bunghole!  Bung-hug!  Dill-hole!  Butt-knocker!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I know, I know.

I can't believe it, myself.  It's a real blessing to us.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, FALARAK!

I DID call Liberty Safes.  Billy was VERY helpful and professional.  They did a great job for me, and he even changed the combination to a new code for me.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks, FALARAK!

I DID call Liberty Safes.  Billy was VERY helpful and professional.  They did a great job for me, and he even changed the combination to a new code for me.

I tell ya what.... I am rearely impressed with any service.... but Billy was the shit.  On time, responsive, professional.... he was moving a used safe I bought from a fellow member, nothing to do with a new purchase, and he still took the time to adjust the door correctly, and show me all the features, and how to reprogram my combo etc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
When we moved a few years ago (about 30 miles) it was $600 bucks.
$450 for the move, and $150 for the locker
Hire someone and save your back.

eta
Is this in a house or an apartment? and is the 2nd floor your only option?  
Do you plan on bolting it to the floor?
The floor joists should be able to handle the new load but you may want to consider putting down a layer of plywood to spread some of the load if its in an apartment complex (i.e. wood construction).  In the case of an apartment, I think I'd err on the side of caution rather than dump a safe thru the floor onto downstairs neighbors  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I dont know if they always charge this - but my move was one THIRD that price.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
STOP!  You may not need to hire a moving company just yet.  American Security(AMSEC) makes the smallest fire-rated safe on the market: Model 5517.  This safe weighs only 275lbs and can be moved by only one person with a hand truck.  The door to this safe comes off by lifting it sharply upward.  The next size up, Model 5924, in only 100 pounds heavier, and can be moved by two small men.  Again, the door comes off this model as well.  I worked at a shop that sold AMSEC products and we did delivery and installation weekly.  The 5517 is a breeze, so if that's the one he gave you, do it yourself.  Sometimes I would go up and down stairs with the 5517 by myself, with the door off.  BTW, the door on these models is half the weight of the safe.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know if they always charge this - but my move was one THIRD that price.

For the move or just the locker?
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top