Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:45:52 AM EDT
I purchased a Wilderness 3-point sling, and found that the strap that lies along the rifle blocks the ejection port, so it went back in the box.  Then I purchased a single-point Specter sling, and while I liked it at the range and for tac-team work, I found that the rifle can't be carried on my back, and swings around too much, causing difficulty when transitioning to pistol, deploying on patrol, or going hands-on with the "not-so-nice ones".  I'm thinking that a 2-point sling might work, but maybe attaching it to the sling thing at the rear and somewhere just at the start of the forward handguard (maybe a QD sling thing on the M73 rail?).  My reason for attaching it at the proximal part of the forestock is to prevent the swinging that came with the single-point sling while still providing some of the freedom that it gave me over the 3-point sling, WITHOUT blocking the ejection port and causing misfeeds.

There's an awful lot of knowledge out there, and I am earger to pick your collective brains-- any thoughts/suggestions?  BTW- It's a Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 w/ M73 rails, TD VFG and SF G2 in a VT mount (sorry for the mess of abbreviations/acronyms, but I'm sure you'll figure it out- remember, you're the smart ones!)  Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT- no answers yet...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm left handed and use a Northeast Tactical Single Point Elastic Cord Sling.  It is quick, comfortable, and versatile.

http://northeasttactical.com/OnePt.html#elasticcord.

As far as the gun moving around when you move it to your back, the elastic cord helps to reduce the "swinging effect" but the gun will still move.  I'm not sure what your training is but when I transfer to my pistol, I just drop my rifle and let it hang.  

I do not like going hands on when I have my rifle slung.  It gives whoever you are dealing with possible access to your weapon-even when it is slung on your back.  Sometimes it can't be helped but, if you can be a cover unit, that would probably be the best position to take when you are carrying your rifle.  Hopefully this has helped
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Might want to look at the ASP from JTrusty with TAG.  Do a search and you'll find a couple of threads on this sling here.  I've used one for a while, and it's pretty much the only one I'm using now.  Its a single point, but the design might have some benefits for you.  I don't have a prob getting the rifle in the nards when dropped, and the design lets it hang to one side out of the way when not needed without any hassle.
The sling is truly ambidextrous by design, Stickman on here has used one and recommended it to me.  I'm surprised he hasn't come on here yet.  The guy who does the Military Moron site is a lefty and he's reviewed it favorably as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey- thanks for the feedback.  The sling I have now is very similar to the ASP, I'm guessing that the swinging issue won't change much if I went with this one.  I'm just not comfortable with how much movement the single point is providing, although I can see that some folks and scenarios might appreciate that.  

And as far as not going hands on with a rifle- that isn't necessarily a choice that I or my compadres might get to make- most of the time, there's too many of us with long guns or more bad guys than pistol-only-toting cops.  

I'm thinking that a 2-point sling might be a good choice, but I'm considering attaching the front part to the stock just in front of the magazine (perhaps with a sling thing on my M73).  This might provide a little more control than the single point, and avoid covering the ejection port with the strap like a 3-point.  Has anyone tried this particular idea (I sure hope so, my wife would be stunned at the possibility that I am capable of original thought)???
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey- thanks for the feedback.  The sling I have now is very similar to the ASP, I'm guessing that the swinging issue won't change much if I went with this one.  I'm just not comfortable with how much movement the single point is providing, although I can see that some folks and scenarios might appreciate that.  

And as far as not going hands on with a rifle- that isn't necessarily a choice that I or my compadres might get to make- most of the time, there's too many of us with long guns or more bad guys than pistol-only-toting cops.  

I'm thinking that a 2-point sling might be a good choice, but I'm considering attaching the front part to the stock just in front of the magazine (perhaps with a sling thing on my M73).  This might provide a little more control than the single point, and avoid covering the ejection port with the strap like a 3-point.  Has anyone tried this particular idea (I sure hope so, my wife would be stunned at the possibility that I am capable of original thought)???

I'm a lefty as well. I have seen what you're talking about and it seems like a good fix. I haven't tried it, the only thing is it looks like the barrel end would swinging around when slung on your back but the up side is that you could carry it on your side/back barrel down. Which would leave your pistol side freed up and still have the weapon accessible. I might try this style out. I currently have all home made (Nicely made) 2-point slings W/ "HK clips"on my shotgun/rifles. I have tried the single point sys and the three point systems but didn't like them due to the reasons you stated as well as in a LEO application.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot long guns left handed.  I use single point slings exclusively.  I like the combination of a Daniel Defense Burnsed Loop (ambidextrous) and  a Wilderness Tactical single point sling with SPQD attachment.  The Burnsed Loop is made in versions for both Remington 870 shotguns and AR style rifles.  

Note that I recently put an ACE SOPMOD stock on my  AR.  It has a built in single point sling mount,.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top