Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 4:06:08 AM EDT
I'd like to add a good quality railed forearm to my M4gery at some point.

I don't want to do the free-float thing at this time.

Is there a railed forearm that fits like the original, that's any good?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
who makes the best is a matter of opinion so I will give you mine.  I like the Surefire M73 but there are others who do not like it. The M73's top rail is a little lower and does not sit flush with the rail on the receiver and that seems to turn off some people. For me that one of the reasons I like it.   Next I would go with the MI #17 and then Yankee Hill.  There are a few others that range in price from around a $100 up to over $300.  The 3 that I listed are all under $200
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
KAC or Midwest Industries.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered one from Bravo Company:
www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html
Pick the right one or call/e-mail. Great service!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the GG&G free float but they recently released one that snaps right in place of the handguards.  

www.gggaz.com/products/mtf.php
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Surefire.  Their rails are solid and affordable.

Also, don't assume free-floated rails are more difficult or expensive.  I just bought an MI #20 from Bravo Company USA.  This rail is a two piece unit that installs as easily as the M73 rail.  And the best part is that it is a free floated design for about $160.00

It is tough to find a railed forearm fits like the original handguards and does not rattle.  This is a big problem if you plan on installing a vertical grip.  The Surefire and MI both use screws to secure them and ensure a rock solid fit and feel.

Good luck,
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just ordered one from Bravo Company:
www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html
Pick the right one or call/e-mail. Great service!

Just received it in the mail today.  Slipped right on and is rock solid.[
MI 18T Am abosultely pleased.  Fits my needs and not sure what the more expensive units offer over this one.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
MI

Mil-spec rails
Milled to accept the locking tabs so the KAC rail covers fit properly and lock in place.
Accepts the Tango Down FVG with no modifications.
Inexpensive, but well made.

Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be very tempted to recommend an MI free float.
Installation is likely no more difficult than their non-ff kit.
(i.e. no barrel dissasembly, except delta ring cutoff)

I would like to see some good bash tests on this rail...
Priced accordingly, the MI ff seems it could be the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I've got a few to choose from.
I've been looking at the MI stuff, but I had never heard of it. I'm glad to hear it's quality stuff.
I'll check on their two piece free-float also.

Decisions, decisions!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm with Monty and Grant
I love my KAC RAS and would never give it up........
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm with Monty and Grant
I love my KAC RAS and would never give it up........

Me too, except I just sold my M4 RAS as I have gone all free floating .

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the MI midlength and love it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I was looking at the MI17's and am kinda leaning toward them (from Bravo Company). I don't really want to deal with the cutting the delta ring off, or the disassembly to install the Free floating style. But I have a question. What exactly is the difference between the snap-in like the MI17 and the free floating guards. Are there any mechanical differences that make the free floaters better or more advantageous?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for MI. MI makes a great product. The handguards are machined very well and lock up tight. I have had an excellent experience with MI's customer service and they support this site. You really can't go wrong with them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MI

Mil-spec rails
Milled to accept the locking tabs so the KAC rail covers fit properly and lock in place.
Accepts the Tango Down FVG with no modifications.
Inexpensive, but well made.

Can't go wrong.

+1 for the MI rails.  I have a set and have been well pleased. Rock soilid and fully conform to everything stated above.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]
KAC RAS for sure. I have a tendancy to trust my equipment more when it is proven in combat.

That being said MI and Sampson seem to be the number 2 and 3 on my list.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My vote would be for the TDI Arms (now Command Arms) X6, followed by the MI.

The X6 system is close to a free float system though. IDF tested it vs the SIR and KAC FF RAS and supposedly found it to hold zero with mounted optics better than either of them. The only downside to me is that it requires the original front sight tower so no flip-up front sights.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top