Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:42:38 AM EDT
ok guys, since i have access to a wide variety of VFGs and i've got a few weeks off the gun show circuit, I'm going to go ahead and do a vertical foregrip torture test. What I need are suggestions as to just how you'd like to see the grips tested :) so far i'm thinking:

1. drop test - drop the grip by itself about 25 feet onto pavement
2. going prone test - mount to a rock solid RAS type system (I'll be using a TDI X6 and a YHM free float HG for the tests) and see if the grip holds up to repeated abuse while going prone. basically exerting leverage on the grip to see if it snaps or the mount breaks
3. waterproof compartment test - (if applicable) - store some stuff in them overnight in an aquarium, see what leaks :)

I'm also going to weigh and measure everything so we have a chart of data.

obviously we need more tests and criteria... suggestions?

these are the grips I've got so far for the test:

Promag KAC copy
TDI AVG
TDI SVG
TDI FFG2 and FFG4 (folding)
TDI (CAA) BVG
Tangodown Battlegrip
First Samco VG1
Leapers (m900 grip copy)
GG&G KAC copy
YHM A2 pistol grip VFG
YHM 9420 Forearm Pistol Grip Assembly
Mako (FAB) AG-44S
Mako FGG-S (folding)

anyone have an original KAC grip they can part with cheap (used is fine)? I got rid of all of mine so long ago :)

let me know what else you'd like to see tested
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#1]
This will be valuable even if just for the weights and measuresments! Thanks LittleGuy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#2]
How come no CQD VFG????
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How come no CQD VFG????

Well I don't have one right now because we haven't carried their products, but I'll call them on Monday and see about getting some in. I do have to say I think they're ugly... but some ugly things work really well :)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you using a YHM lightweight FF?
I thought the KAC relies on the removed portion of the rail to lock in place?
What about any of the others?

Sounds good so far...

(also, how much rail each mount takes up would be nice!)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you using a YHM lightweight FF?
I thought the KAC relies on the removed portion of the rail to lock in place?
What about any of the others?

Sounds good so far...

(also, how much rail each mount takes up would be nice!)

That's a great idea, thank you. No, the YHM FF I have is the solid (read: HEAVY :) model, full length on a 20" gun. I'll probably use a carbine with the X6 for most of the testing though as it's my real "beater" gun. Also have a stag/LMT carbine with a CASV.

Actually I guess I could test fit them to some different kinds of rail systems and comment on that, but the problem is that with many companies both the rails (Ie Surefire M73) and the grips (Ie different colors of TD grips) aren't always to spec (or it becomes a question of whose spec is it) and the fit can vary. After using and selling a variety of combinations of vert grips + rail systems, I've pretty much decided the diamond file and rubber mallet are my friends :-D
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Being somewhat of a torture test hobbist myself I just want to say don't test anything yer not willing to break. Torture testing is about finding the extreme limits of what something can take. Be willing to write it off as a total loss.

This is the result of part of an OPTICS torture test.(the optic survived just fine)

I was going prone on a dirt pile one day and as I was going down to the ground my Oly arms vert grip slammed into a big rock that just looked like a clump of dirt. Slammed into it pretty good at that. I'd like to see how some of the grips you have listed hold up to something like that hit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
muzzle strikes!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Being somewhat of a torture test hobbist myself I just want to say don't test anything yer not willing to break. Torture testing is about finding the extreme limits of what something can take. Be willing to write it off as a total loss.

This is the result of part of an OPTICS torture test.(the optic survived just fine)
images.snapfish.com/345429%3B923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B%3B5%3A3%3B%3A%3A8ot1lsi

I was going prone on a dirt pile one day and as I was going down to the ground my Oly arms vert grip slammed into a big rock that just looked like a clump of dirt. Slammed into it pretty good at that. I'd like to see how some of the grips you have listed hold up to something like that hit.

photoman, you are the man... your tests are the main inspiration for this (although I also want to get a good database of info (like weight and measurements) on them too).

Your situation is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. How did the Oly grip fare?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.snapfish.com/345429%3B923232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B%3B5%3A3%3B%3A%3A8ot1lsi

photoman, you are the man... your tests are the main inspiration for this (although I also want to get a good database of info (like weight and measurements) on them too).

Your situation is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. How did the Oly grip fare?

Very well actually it didn't shift at all, didn't  losen up on me at all. Thats good considering that I use lightweight YHM railed forends. It shows a little itty bitty spot on it where it made direct contact but nothing bad as I have it wrapped in hockey stick tape.

The one in the above pick is a cheap all composite grip I picked up from Bravo Company USA. It has been holding it's own as well through the optics abuse. That rifle was literaly thrown  down range about 10-15 times that day and a couple times it landed on the vert grip and it looks fine, no signs of cracks or anything like that.

I can get measurments and pics and such for the oly grip, for you. It  might take a little bit though. Same with the composite one as well though that one don't come off the gun. In order to get it to fit that rail right I had to do some dremel work on it. It's a C-more quad rail and it's not the most "in spec" rail so it's a bitch to get that thing off and on. If I had found this place before I bought that thing I'd have never gotten it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How come no CQD VFG????

I've seen/handled just about every grip you mentioned above and I'll put money on the CQD VG being the most durable in a torture test.  The entire unit is machined out of one single piece of 6061 alluminum, and so is the cap for the o-ring sealed waterproof compartment.  It's hard for me to imagine a more indestructible grip.  I really hope you get you include the CQD VG in your torture tests.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How come no CQD VFG????

because it would be the clear winner
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
So  I guess the CQD kicked all the other butts and is that's why this hasn't been updated?
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top