Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 7:56:45 AM EDT
I am looking for a vertical grip to put on my Vltor CASV. I have a TangoDown from another rifle that I tried on the CASV and found it to be a bit loose. I'd prefer the weight savings of plastic, other wise I would be all over the CQD.

So I am looking for a secure plastic vertical grip. I'd prefer it to be slim and have storage, but I will really settle for anything that mounts securely and seems to have trackrecord of quality.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Matt
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a KAC vert grip sometimes, cheap, light and dependable enough. Though it does need a good tighten down once in awhile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I highly recommand GG&G vertical front grip, very solid & well made .  I bought one at SAR show early this month & it fits on my Troy & Arms Sir rails.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am looking for a vertical grip to put on my Vltor CASV. I have a TangoDown from another rifle that I tried on the CASV and found it to be a bit loose. I'd prefer the weight savings of plastic, other wise I would be all over the CQD.

So I am looking for a secure plastic vertical grip. I'd prefer it to be slim and have storage, but I will really settle for anything that mounts securely and seems to have trackrecord of quality.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Matt

As suggested either the KAC or GG&G VFG. I've used both, but now only use the CQD. Any additional weight of the CQD is not noticable. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. Where is the best place to purchace the KAC should I decide to go that route?

Does anyone have any experience witht the offerings from TDI?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
surefire m900
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've thought a lot about the M900 but I probably will not go that route on this rifle. I am trying to keep it light weight and I may not mount a light on this one. The M900 definitely feels great in the hand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
SOG armory vertical grip.  Very light weight and strong.  Easy to take off.  

I got it here: Brightflashlights about half way down the page.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't seen the SOG Armory grip before. I like my hand to be able to slip a little bit on the VFG, so I'd prefer not to have the rubber texture.

Has anyone used any of the TDI products? What about the Falcon Industries Broomhandle or Advanced Armament VFG (looks kind of like the KAC VFG)?

Thanks for all of the responses so far.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the CQD weight.  Once I wrapped that sucker in paracord - I'll never purchase another vertical grip - ever!

I found the weight negligible.  But if you're set on plastic - I'd stick with the KAC.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I haven't seen the SOG Armory grip before. I like my hand to be able to slip a little bit on the VFG, so I'd prefer not to have the rubber texture.

Has anyone used any of the TDI products? What about the Falcon Industries Broomhandle or Advanced Armament VFG (looks kind of like the KAC VFG)?

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I think TDI is cheap junk, that I would not even put on a AirSoft gun... My choice would be TangoDown, hands down.. Not only is is a great product, but these guys have great customer service and do it for the right reasons.... For that men and women down range that need them.. Not just to make a quick buck by coping other products !!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#11]
The TDI AVG and SVG grips are inexpensive and hold up. I like the SVG a bit more (classic MP5K broomhandle shape) but just put an AVG on my CASV. The funny thing is I've got a TangoDown on my TDI X6.. :)

http://www.blackrifles.com/guns.jpg
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an AVG on my SAR1 and it works great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think TDI is cheap junk, that I would not even put on a AirSoft gun... My choice would be TangoDown, hands down.. Not only is is a great product, but these guys have great customer service and do it for the right reasons.... For that men and women down range that need them.. Not just to make a quick buck by coping other products !!

Sir, while you are entitled to think what you want to, I believe you are confusing TDI with another company (perhaps ProMag), and probably also don't have any experience with the TDI vertical grips. TDI's vertical foregrip designs are quite original, with the notable exception of the BVG, which is an enhanced and enlarged version of the ubiquitous KAC design (much more closely knocked off by Beretta, ProMag, GG&G and numerous other companies).

TDI is a supplier to the IDF (and increasingly to non-Israeli agencies too) and their products are very durable. The new company (TDI in America is now represented by Command Arms Accessories) is very responsive to customer input and they stand behind their products 100%.

Tango Down makes a fine product, but they don't have a corner on quality in this very competitive market. There are some inherent flaws in any kind of QD design that make a more "bolted on" vertical grip a better choice for some.

If there's someone out there capable and willing to do a vertical foregrip torture test (and document the results  on ar15.com) I'd be happy to supply as many different ones as I can come up with. I'd do it myself if I had the time... :D

(disclaimer: I sell both TDI and TD products.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
TDI SVG.  That thing is great!

Jake
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay, I'll take a harder look at the TDI stuff.

I'd still like to hear about the Advanced Armament and Falcon Indust. Broomhandle VFGs.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for the TDI SVG.  The Short Vert Grip seems to look and feel better on my Short Barrel Rifle.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice MadDogDan!

Where is the best place to purchase TDI VFGs?

I think LittleGuy's idea for a VFG torture test is a great one. It would be great if there was a thread for VFGs similar to the BUIS thread. It could list dimensions and weight etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
The Falcon / Magpul grip is quite nice, solid with some storage space.  It allows you to remove it without removing any panels, if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Does the ace grip have storage?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Check out Tapco they have a VG that kinda looks like a VG from a Surefire M900(in my dreams)
- some of the guys here felt it was air-soft but Tapco is selling it ??  www.tapco.com
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#23]
LittleGuy or anyone,

Could you take a picture of the TDI SVG on your carbine with the Vltor CASV? If I go with the SVG I will probably mount it as close as I can to the mag well.

Also, how secure/watertight is the storage compartment?

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#24]
(added picture - i didnt have time to move the CASV rail back so the SVG is hanging off the back of the rail, but still surprisingly solid)

http://www.blackrifles.com/by-manufacturer/vltor/casvongun.jpg

The waterproof compartment is sealed with a rubber cap which is a friction fit - not the best design (i'd rather it was a plastic cap with an O ring for a tighter fit) but  i haven't lost one yet on either the SVG or AVG. I wouldn't dive with it :)

the grip that Tapco sells is made by leapers but is surprisingly a very good design. Dual pressure pad cutouts, a shock isolated battery compartment (accomplished by springs at each end) and very much the same feel as the M900 grip. the downsides are

1. made in china - the quality of the material seems quite solid but I have not had a chance to beat the crap out of one yet, and had one customer who bought one say it broke when the rifle fell over. (i'm actually surprised at this as the material seems too strong for that, i think it's time for the VFG torture test!)
2. REALLY big. sticks way out. i personally feel this is one of the real strong points of the SVG. i dont have big paws, and the SVG fits in my palm very well.
3. KAC style attachment method - post up the middle that screws in. I'm not a big fan of this design, although i understand its utility as a QD method.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Perfect! Just what I wanted to see. Thanks LittleGuy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
+1 on the CQD weight.  Once I wrapped that sucker in paracord - I'll never purchase another vertical grip - ever!

great idea Hokie, do you have a photo? I was going to wrap mine with camo cloth tape, but the para cord is the shits  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:44:55 AM EDT
[#27]
There are some good pics of cord wrapped CQD VFGs here..
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine from Tic01 (?exact name) in the EE.

Jake
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There are some good pics of cord wrapped CQD VFGs here..

major THANKS MD
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#30]
No problem V-Rod. I am really trying to resist buying a CQD. I really didn't want something that big or heavy, but it is such a great peice of kit.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top