Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 4:31:09 AM EDT
What are the advantages and disadvatages of the various slings via connection. I was asked this question and I couldn't come up with an answer. I don't have a specific mission or use. Just curious as to what you all prefer and why or why not.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll give you the best answer...
Get one sling and get all three.  Go with the Blue Force Gear SOC-C Sling.  It is a convertable sling that can be converted from single to double to triple.  I have one and also got the contractor pak.  It works with every weapon I own and I love it.
Don
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a few different ones.. A Wilderness(sp?) 3 Point and A Troy One Point... Love them both.. It all depends on your uses for them are  ???
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
They all serve their purpose. Personally I like the 3pt CQB slings due to their different carry options.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What are the advantages and disadvatages of the various slings ...

That's a good question.  As often as people ask "what's the best sling?" on here you'd think there'd be an FAQ thread or something.   I'm looking to replace the carry strap that came with mine with something nicer, but haven't decided what.  Here's what I've found out in my research though:

single-point
Pro:
- simple
- not too much material or too many buckles = cheaper
- easy to switch shoulders
- no material next to receiver to block controls  (but see disadvantages)
- sling adjustment is "weapon-independent" so you can use same sling on more than one gun and if the attachment is QD switch between them or put the gun down without unslinging
Con:
- doesn't control the rifle well when slung, leaving it free to sweep your legs/feet, bang you in the nuts, stick the muzzle in the dirt, or uppercut your chin when kneeling
- sling plates require taking stock off, which some users aren't allowed to do (though there are mounts that don't)
- sling plate can get in the way of operating the charging handle
- doesn't support the rifle in any sort of "ready" position

3-point
Pro:
- allows for "patrol carry" with gun level, can fire from that position or mount it quickly, won't stick muzzle in ground when kneeling
- controls muzzle better in "offside drop" position
- can be slung around back or in other carry positions
Con:
- complicated
- longer straps, more buckles = more expensive
- adjusted for strong side support doesn't allow using weak side shoulder (though some have QD buckles to allow that
- is adjusted for a single gun, barrel length, stock length, so need one per gun
- strap alongside receiver can block controls

2-point
Depends on what you mean by "2-point".  A simple carry strap (Army "silent sling") is cheap and can be used as a "hasty sling" for support.  When carrying hands-off for me it usually slips down so the rifle is horizontal under my arm like a purse.  Slower to get into action and slower to re-sling.
A "loop sling" can provide shooting support in firing positions, as well as be used as a "hasty sling" and a carry strap.
A top-mounted two-point seems to have most of the advantages of the 3-point like the patrol carry, better control, and no sling plate needed, but without the strap next to the gun.  Not having that strap limits some of the other carry options like the "backpack" carry though.

Since this is a CavArms lower I can't do the single-point.  I've tried to rig up a top-mounted 2-point using the GI silent sling and some velcro straps I found in a junk pile at work, but it's a little too short.  I'll probably end up getting something similar from Boonie Packer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Blue Force Contractor pack...I started off with it in 3 paint mode, Then i did a tactical carbine and tactical shotgun class and it's been single point ever since.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top