Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2005 10:55:32 PM EDT
Well fellas out of the three handguards I was thinking of getting (MI, Bushmasters), I decided on the Surefire M73. What do you think of my choice?

My question is where is the best prices for this hanguard ? Also, as I said before (Remember, I'm just a newbie.) this is going on a Bushmaste CA. legal AR-15. Can I put a longer, or to be more specific, a mid size handguard (Surefire M81) on this rifle. Again thanks gentlemen for all the help. Much appreciated.

Marcusg
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of the M73.  It is a great rail for the money, and by that I mean the going price is around $160.00 from a few dealers here on the EE.

If you have already installed yours, you know it secures by applying lateral pressure between the back of the front sight base and the barrel nut.  That said, the M81 won't fit your rifle because it is physically longer than the space between these two contact points.

To use the M81, you'll need a midlength barrel such as an RRA or Armalite.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks glock24. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good choice. I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Happy with mine.  Prefer the plastic factory one - but the M73 gives me somewhere to put my light.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you want something that doesn't have a flush top rail?  There are products available of equal quality that will give you a rail that is even with your upper receiver rail....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The M73 is a great quad rail for the money. I've been very happy with mine. If you order it make sure you get the 3 rubber ladder inserts (look just like the Magpul ladder) that come with the rail. These make handling the quad much more comfortable unless you use a vertical fore grip full time. I currently have mine set-up with a Tango Down VFG and and my Surefire mounted at 3 o'clock with an ARMS mount. GREAT RAIL!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why would you want something that doesn't have a flush top rail?  There are products available of equal quality that will give you a rail that is even with your upper receiver rail....

To me it's no biggie unless you plan on mounting something that would require the flattop and foreend rail together. Actually I like that the Surefire sits about 1/8" lower than the flattop, that way if you mount the larger rail covers it doesn't stick up past the flattop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]
They're great for an A2 upper when you don't have to worry about being flush.  I've got one on my Bushy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the M73 mounted onto my RRA M4 Entry Tac.

It is very solid and built very well.

Look on the EE boards. I bought mine used for $75.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a SF dealer and stock the M73's. They are a good rail, but I like the MI #17's better. They are cheaper, level with the receiver and they always follow the M1913 spec.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

Surefire rails don't always follow the M1913 specs ? I know this should be self explaining, but could you elaborate please ?

I know they are not even with the flatop rail, just wondering if you know about any other specific problems them since I have an M73 rail that was given to me. I haven't found any problems yet, but any info would be useful.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my M73, it's rock solid.  I had a TD VFG on it, and it fit tightly but firmly, so there's no doubt in my mind that it was milspec.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My Surefire M82 (rifle length) (and which I purchased through Grant, excellent service!) must be out of spec;  my TD grip wobbles just a hair.

I've found that the vertgrip just doesn't work well for me with a 20" upper so it's just collecting dust in the safe waiting for an M4 upper to come along...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My Surefire M82 (rifle length) must be out of spec;  my TD grip wobbles just a hair.

+1  I have the M81 but I thought it was the grip that was out of spec... it's not a problem for me though...

I don't like the way the TD attaches anyways, as I don't always like a vertical grip, and it's hard to get off for me.  I chose the surefire because i though i could take it off and install regular handguards at a moments notice, but that's not the case for the midlength.  i had to change the handguard cap on my middy and now the standard handguards won't fit.  Luckily, i have 2 midlength AR's, so it's not a problem anymore...

ETA:  I just checked and your right, my rail is out of spec.  Can't be by much, but it is nonetheless.  I mounted my grip on my flattop upper and it was tight as can be.  I still don't like the way the TD mounts, but I sure like the way it looks.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the M-73 and my GGG VFG went on so tight I wonder if I will be able to get it off.

Other than that the rail is great.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a fan of the M-73.... I could not mount anything on mine without the help of three men and a boy, and then the accessory I mounted was loose..??? Also, I did not like the big gap between the rails and the front sight.

Just my opinion.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top