Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2005 10:35:06 PM EDT
I saw a well respected guy in an article in Surefires rag mentioning he liked the V-tac sling and thought it better than everything else.

I went to the site and it had a really crappy advertisement not showing any of the features.  

The sling is somehow supposed to allow shooting from both shoulders-- how?  I would like to know rather than buy first and waste the money.  

I wish MM had a review.  They should pay him to make a new web page ad for it.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I should have posted this in another forum...  

I rarely come here I just figured it was the place to go for a sling question.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
GreenO, there is no "demo video" that I've ever seen. I have one of these slings and it works very well. Read the following description of "how to use", it should help you out some.

The Viking Tactics Sling is designed for muzzle down carrying.

Place the sling over your right shoulder, across your back, and under your left arm (opposite if you are left handed).

The rear of the sling should be long enough to allow you to easily reach the free running end of the adjustable front portion of the sling under your left arm.

With the sling quick adjustment buckle fully released hang the sling only around your neck. You are able to switch to your opposite shoulder without having the sling tighten on your body.

With the weapon slung muzzle down, (sling over right shoulder and under left arm) you are now ready to make any quick adjustment necessary.

If you decide to shoot from the prone position you will be able to get to the adjustment buckle as you go prone or once you are in the position.

After firing you can simply return the sling to its previous length by pulling up on the quick adjust buckle lanyard.

You are also able to sling the weapon across your back for free use of your hands, once the weapon is slung across your back, the quick adjust buckle will be on your chest, simply grab the free end and tighten to the desired tension, this will keep the weapon from bouncing around on your back

more installation/usage tips can be found here
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't you have to completely re-sling the rifle to put it on your back as pictured?

If not the rifle should end up slung muzzle up on the users back.  Those pictures make it look like the best of both worlds (Infantry sling and CQB sling) when in fact they are two different sling carries.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
GreenO, you would have to resling to get the rifle mounted on the back as shown.  Simply rotating the rifle around the torso while slung from a shooting position would put it muzzle-up over the right shoulder.

I've been working with a VT sling for a few weeks and like it.  It's smooth and doesn't hang on the clothing.  Grabbing that quick-release gadget isn't easy or intuitive, but that could be me.  Overall, I'd suggest anyone buy it and run with it.  Good piece of kit that is far simpler than any of the 3-point slings I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
So do you find loosening it for a quick change of shoulders works well?

My whole point for buying this product would be solely this feature.  

I want to be able to quickly switch shoulders in a MOUT environment for corners.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely, Green0.  I, admittedly, haven't trained much with the carbine, but I can switch shoulders for cornering just by loosening the sling to provide enough slack.  It's a bit of a challenge for me because you can't preset the sling to stop at the right point.  What I do is just run it all the way out and that gives me plenty of room to work with.

Were I to make any changes, I would add some kind of emergency escape buckle that detached the sling from the rifle so I could get out of a binding situation.  Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

Note:  I have the front of the sling held to my railed forend with 550 cord.  This gives me a bit more room to work with in the sling.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Viking sling on my Colt 9mm carbine. At first, it was strange getting used to it b/c I'm so used to the HK tactical slings. But now I like it more than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one on my Rock River.  It is the best sling I have ever used.   The way I carry mine, I can sling it to the back, guitar style, and then tighten up the sling to hold it in place.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently went to a rifle school taught by federal HRT members.  They both use the v-tac sling.  I was using a wilderness giles 3 point sling.  It wasn't until we started transition drills where you shift the weapon to your offhand (weak) side that I learned how much a 3 point sling did not work well for me.  I wound up carrying the rifle around my neck for most of the training.  By the end of the day, I was sore. I just went to a v-tac sling and transition was way easier than using the 3 point sling.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I want one of the VTAC slings myself. Does anyone have a pic showing how it attaches? My set up is a RRA Entry w/ collapsible stock. I have both a side and bottom swivel attachment on the front of my AR(thats how it came). How does it attach to the rear? It attaches at the rear on the collapsible stock at the top? The pics on the VTAC website suck. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]
awsome! Guess I will order one. I have had a HELL of a time finding a decent sling for my AR.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought a Specter MOUT sling the single point and transitions are really fast and it can be slung on my back.  I'm pretty happy with that.  I guess I would like to see the MOUT in action before I bought it.  The MOUT made sense and works better than I thought it would. Beats my two point as I can't shoot left handed with that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my VT sling last week and love it!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#17]
any suggestions on a place to buy vtac on line with quick delivery?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]
JP rifles carries V-Tac.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Rock River Arms also carries it..................

http://www.rockriverarms.com/
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top