Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 4:21:24 PM EDT
So I'm thinking of putting a magazine pouch on my M4 so when I grab my gun there is already a loaded mag on it. Who makes a good magazine pouch for the stock of the M4? I hope someone with some first hand experience can chime in here with the pros and cons of doing this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not being high-speed/low-drag, I don't know what my opinion is worth, but here it is.........

I have a Coyote/Tan/Sand Spectre Gear pouch mounted to my 6-pos stock.  Like you, I wanted a reload ready to go any time I grabbed the rifle, and not have to fumble with a chest rig or the like.  If I have to grab the carbine and run outside to shoot a dog or whatever, I have plenty of ammo on hand.  

Another benefit is that while the magazine in the well is a lightweight 45g JHP intended for in-home defensive shooting, the spare mag is loaded with heavier 55g FMJ.  It is my hope that this light round at the ready will minimize penetration through walls, and reduce the danger to family members.  The heavier round is there in case I need to take down a dog/zombie/et al., or anything requiring penetration of a barrier.

So far, I haven't been through any carbine classes or formal training with this set up.  I can say that the balance of the weapon is improved by placing a mag at the rear-most position possible, but drawing that mag is very slow and I haven't found a way to do it without dropping the muzzle down - losing cheekweld and sight picture.

Spectre Gear is some top-notch stuff and I'm thoroughly satisfied with the quality, design and construction.  I might even buy one of their slings after seeing how this pouch was done.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend not using said pouch.  For a home-defense situation, I don't think you can do better, unless you go with a Redi-mag...and that's open to debate, too.

I use one.  I think it's a workable solution, albeit one that requires you to train a bit differently from others if this is your sole reload.  For the money, it's a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Vaughn T, thanks very much for your input. My requirements somewhat mirror yours. I live in a rural area. I have children at home and all of my long guns reside in my safe. 99% of my handguns do too. There are times however where I would feel better with that AR of mine in hand than Mr. Glock. Dogs, meth heads, etc. sometimes wander up here.

If anyone has pictures of examples to post that would be great. It should be noted I did do a search for what I'm looking for on here before posting and drew goose eggs.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I could help, hoss.  I totally relate to rural living and all the wonders that come with it.  Found out a couple months back that I have three crack dens within ten miles of my fortress of solitude!

Another option for spare mags is something like the Diamondback Tactical shoulderbag panel.  Basically, it's a square of codura covered in PALS webbing.  You attach the pouches you want (GP, Smoke, Rifle Mags, Pistol Mags, whatever), and carry it over your shoulder like a purse.  Shorten the strap and you could hang it around your neck if it wasn't too heavy after loading.

Of course, something like this is separate from the rifle and adds seconds to the response time.  How many seconds would depend on your level of training, but I do like the idea.  The frontiersmen of yesteryear carried a "Possibles Bag" everywhere they went, and in that bag was everything they needed to run their rifles and live off the land (ball, powder, shot, patching, needle/thread, mould, flints, spare parts, knife, etc).  Not a bad idea with todays minutemen......
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The multi purpose bag is a thought. Although, I'm not really looking to tote that much stuff outside. I just wanted a loaded mag attached to the rifle when I grab it but not in the mag well.

Anyone have any specific brands they recommend?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
TAG makes a great stock pouch. I have one on mine. I'll post a shot of it when I get home later.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Pictures of the TAG Mag holder.
store.tacticalassaultgear.com/bustmapom4.html

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Gaz. I appreciate your input. Nice pics too.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top