Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2005 7:48:11 PM EDT
Hi... I just bought a RRA Entry Tactical and after seeing the pics of everyone's sweet AR's here. I got some ideas about what to do with mine.
I am looking at the Surefire M73 forend. I just wanted to make sure it will fit my AR and get some opinions on it as well. I just ordered the surefire m900a light, so I know I need a Picatinny forend to mount it. Do these heat up any hotter?

Thanks, IAC4
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The M73 should fit just fine, and it'll fit solid as hell, too. As far as heat goes, I haven't noticed a problem with it getting too hot, but then again I use a VFG, and the portions of rail that don't have anything on them are covered with Magpul rail panels (which I highly recommend).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the M73 and it is by far my favorite forearm.  It is rock solid, it dissipates heat pretty well but as Zardoz does I also use a VFG.  Some people say they don't like it because the top rail doesn't sit level with the reciever rail.  I personally prefer it that way because it makes the forearm a little smaller than all the others.  And with rail covers on it's a perfect fit to me as where the other brands seem to be a little to big.  Plus if you want to mount a laser on it it will be sitting a little lower which in my opinion is better.  The M73 is built extremely well and will hoils up to any kind of abuse.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an M73 on my duty carbine and it's just fine. I wouldn't mount an optic on it, but for my VFG and light, it's ideal. I use rail covers and limited strings of fire as well so heat is not an issue.

It does make the fore end smaller as previously stated which I prefer.

I dealt with Brightflashlight.com and had a perfect transaction.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks everyone. I'll check out the Magpul rail panels.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You will like it, and if you noticed, it is what RRA is using on their Govt. model.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Get it.  For a non-freefloat, it's the way to go.  It comes with three "ladder" type covers, which I put on the top and side rails.  On the bottom, less the part taken up by the VFG, I use a MagPul solid cover.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a new Bushmaster M4 type patrolmans carbine. I want to mount  my 552 EO Tech on it. So far I have been leaning toward the A.R.M.S #39 A2 plus carry handle mount ,  but the Surefire  M73 looks like it would  work out too.

Would the M73  be stable enough for my EO Tech?  Without any magnifier 100 yards is probably the limit for my tired eyes.  Also the surefire website lists them for $195 vs. $125-$135 for the A.R.M.S. mount.  Suggestions are welcome

Dick
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just got a new Bushmaster M4 type patrolmans carbine. I want to mount  my 552 EO Tech on it. So far I have been leaning toward the A.R.M.S #39 A2 plus carry handle mount ,  but the Surefire  M73 looks like it would  work out too.

Would the M73  be stable enough for my EO Tech?  Without any magnifier 100 yards is probably the limit for my tired eyes.  Also the surefire website lists them for $195 vs. $125-$135 for the A.R.M.S. mount.  Suggestions are welcome

Dick

The handgaurds are not the ideal place to mount an optic especially one that is'nt free floating as the M73 is not.  I have mounted an Aimpoint on my M73 and it worked out pretty well.  The one problem with the M73 is that the top rail sits a little lower than the rail on a flattop receiver so the EO Tech will sit a little lower as well.  Since the EO Tech has such a big window it really shouldn't be a problem.

I still don't recommend mounting it on the hanguards and I imagine just about everyone else will say the same but if you have to mount it that way it should work out satisfactory but not ideally.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My surefire m73 arrived yesterday, but I can't figure out how to get the old handguard off. Seems like it should be pretty simple. Could someone walk me through it?

Thanks, IAC4
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Pull the delta ring down and spread the handguards apart starting at the bottom (closer to the mag well).  Particularly with a new rifle it might be a little tight, and an extra person to do either task with both hands is helpful.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks man ! I got it off (new rifle, wasn't easy) and put my surefire on. IAC4
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this M73 the same as the military issued foreend with the removable bottom piece.  I just decided today I'd like one for my SEBR I ordered while on leave.  I  was toying with the notion of adding a 37mm 203clone.  Basically I'd like what the military uses, or something identical.

Tomorrow I'll start asking people around here that have one too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top