Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:54:38 PM EDT
What do you guys think of the blue force gear contractor sling package? It is a bit pricey but how well is the fit/function of it. I am looking for something I can use with either a m4 stock or an A2...also a shotgun for future use.

If the sling I got for my A2 setup is good enough (got it for 10$ on EE) I may just get a single point.

Hows is the daniel defense single point? I like it because it does have the h&k hook. ~50$ for that setup once I got the adapter.

Or do you guys have other favorites?

Right now I am looking for a good 3 point because I will be packing my AR15 through the woods a lot this deer season. I need something I can comfortably carry on my pack if I am climbing hills.

Thanks In advance.

::edit::

Only 3 point sling I have experience with is an Uncle Mike's 3 point. Which I do not like. It uses O-rings for attachments..I have since modified it with paracord but now it is hard to take off/reconfigure. So I am looking for something I can swap around and remove easily.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
JTrusty, recommended this sling to me in my post about the CQD sling:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=248014

It looks like a very good 3 point, but has options down the road to become a 2 or 1 point solution.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah..I need a 3 point for sure. The contractors pack does look sweet. Gives you a ton of options.

Ok...what is your favorite 3 point sling. I will be doing some 2 or more mile hikes in the snow this winter. (May not be much to a lot of guys but still it gets unpleasant). Reason I am having trouble deciding is because I switch between a A2 stock and a m4 6 position weekly. (depends on my mood).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah..I need a 3 point for sure. The contractors pack does look sweet. Gives you a ton of options.

Ok...what is your favorite 3 point sling. I will be doing some 2 or more mile hikes in the snow this winter. (May not be much to a lot of guys but still it gets unpleasant). Reason I am having trouble deciding is because I switch between a A2 stock and a m4 6 position weekly. (depends on my mood).

I currently don't own any rifles, so I can't comment/recommend any slings.

I'm still trying to decide where to mount my sling, either with a plate mount or on the rear of the stock with an adapter.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the SOC-C contracter's pack a long time ago from G&R, had to special order it then.

It's nice, it comes with all sorts of parts and pieces.  The only things I didn't like were placements of certain elements of the main sling.  There are some parts I would have liked to move or 'reverse' but the entire sling is sewn together so you can't remove any parts, translated to "lose them."

My sling is in a 3-point config right now.  I am using one of the neat little buckle attachments that consists of a small strip of velcro that has hooks on one side and loops on the other.  It wraps through a non-swivel mount on my FF forend just forward of an 11-rib KAC panel and then through the plastic female end.  It is held together by a 1/4" strip of velcro that is also included:

The rear is connected directly to the a$$ end of my buttstock using a female buckle that is attached to a 6" strip of webbing with two rings on it.  It is meant to be looped through a sling plate or attachment like I'm using on the front, but I chose to just rivet it into the rear of my buttstock and then cut a little rubber from the buttpad so it's somewhat neat looking:

Here are a few other pictures of it including the elasic keepers - both included and captivated.  This first one is doing absolutely nothing but keeping the looped webbing from opening up:

This one is keeping a separate male buckle from sliding around on it's own.  I found no use for this buckle and trimmed the forks off of it.  I had used the remaining part as a simple D-ring at one point but went with my rear stock "mod" instead.  You can see it's causing the snug to bulge and keeps the sling from sliding too far through the buckle:

here is the front end of the sling where it all comes together and some of the adjustments are made.  You can see how far I have adjusted the ring and how much is left if you wanted the "Y" of the sling to be further back:

There is still a about 10 pieces left in the pack.  

I've got 3 H&K snaphooks that came with it and there is another of the little velcro strip setups that was supposed to be used with the snaphooks.  There were two female buckles on the ends of ribbons, one long and one short, the longer being the one in this picture:

There was also a nice rugged setup for the front of a rifle with standard handguards like A2 or M4 handguards that has a very rugged strip of velcro that secures it to the front sling swivel:

and, last butt () not least, the A2 rear stock setup:
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pictures. Looks good.

Are the plastic snap ins nice and strong? Those things have always made me worry. I'd hate to have the weapon unbuckle and hit the pavement.

Does the sling easily transform from a 3 point to a 1 and 2 point?

Just wondering if it actually does everything its supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It does anything I could want it to do and I'm sure tons more.  All you have to do in order to make it a two point sling is NOT stick your body through the large loop.  Slide the D-ring out almost all the way to make the sling one long piece.  It just has a little more to it than a regular two point setup, that's all.

As far as a single point, all i would have to do is connect the buckle up front to the DD sling plate using the same part as I have on the rear (two included) and then also remove the male from the female at the rear.  I'd slide that male down to the rest of the goodies where it connects to the DD plate and cover it with one of the elastic snugs.  

It's very easy.  The hardest part is going back to a 3-point and figuring out where to adjust to get it back to where you liked it!

oh, the buckles are as good as anything out there.  Most single point slings use these type.  IIRC, they are fastex brand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
i have a troy 1 point sling its great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
congratulations.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I will definetly be ordering one ASAP. Hopefully I will have enough cash this friday. Can't wait to get out of school so I can get a real job. Then I could have even more toys

I like the idea of the contractors pack because I will be getting a shotgun sooner or later and I have a MAK90 so I will have a sling that can fit anything.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I even carefully removed the supertight sewing on one part so I could use the buckles for something else.  It might be where the rear piece is from, but I don't remember exactly.  

It took me an hour and a #11 type X-acto blade to get in under each loop and cut outwards so I didn't damage the webbing at all.  Only after EVERY SINGLE loop of thread was cut was I able to pull the different straps of webbing apart.  You won't be accidentally rubbing any portions of the stitching against anything enough to tear it up or wear it out, I can almost guarantee you that...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Thx for the reviews and pics, Giff and Joseph. Also a big thx to BFG for what looks and sounds to be a great product.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I assure you there were no shortcuts!  Had I thought of it ahead of time, I would have counted each one because I wasn't able to "cut" any corners and didn't try to slice through more than one at a time.  I didn't want to damage the webbing.  

I betcha I spent more time looking at the two I cut than she did.  I didn't find any mistakes.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I assure you there were no shortcuts!  Had I thought of it ahead of time, I would have counted each one because I wasn't able to "cut" any corners and didn't try to slice through more than one at a time.  I didn't want to damage the webbing.  

I betcha I spent more time looking at the two I cut than she did.  I didn't find any mistakes.  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top