Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2005 1:41:47 AM EDT
There's only one military surplus store in my town, and all the ammo cans  he has these days tend to be borderline-serviceable. Many of them almost rusted out, beat up badly or with bad seals.

I know that since true surplus was pretty much put to an end a few years ago they're getting hard to find, but is there somewhere online I can order ammo cans that don't look like they've already seen a world war ?

I've found lots of sites selling them, I just need to know if anyone has had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Hit up some gun shows.
I always find them at shows, ordering them online most likely will kill you in shipping fees.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
www. sportsmans guide .com
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#4]
if you can find ones with good steel and bad seals, it's pretty easy to roll your own gaskets with some RTV goop.

FWIW- you can always contract Garand-itis and then get all the cans you need from the CMP full of M2 30-06
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hit up some gun shows.
I always find them at shows, ordering them online most likely will kill you in shipping fees.

I was at one last weekend with no luck, not one ammo can for sale.

I don't understand it either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www. sportsmans guide .com

Thanks, that looks like the place, but I'll have to order ammo to get the type of cans I want.

Oh The Horror™ .
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
All the ammo cans you'll see on the market are effectively "scrap."  That's how DRMO classes them, no matter how servicable they are when they're turned in.  Then the wonderful guys at DRMO stack them on a pallet and band them on.  Sometimes they band them so tightly that they destroy the top layer of cans.  I actually wrote to DRMO a while back to complain about this (when you're on active duty, you get a bit more attention from DRMO), and they said that they were trying to get the local folks to treat the stuff as usable "surplus" instead of scrap.  It may have gotten better since then.

At every gun show I go to I see cans from the basic .30 cal style all the way through both .50 cal sizes to the huge 20mm cans (they're about 18" tall and two feet deep) and the occasional 25mm chain gun structural foam boxes.  Gun shows are your friend!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I get them at gun shows or when ordering ammo online. shipping on them isn't bad from places like sportsmansguide or cheaper than dirt. and if you order stuff that will fit in them they fill the ammo can with the smaller products so a smaller shipping box can be used
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#9]
you can find decent deals on eBay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm around more then i'd ever know what to do with in a lifetime...

too bad they're not "mine"  

lol

-Roth
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top