Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:43:43 PM EDT
What is the best way to get a nice, clean cut when cutting the foam in Pelican cases?

I have heard freezing helps make it easier to cut.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Electric knife. around $20 at CVS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
We're talking about an Electric Knife like you would use on your turkey at Thanksgiving.

The trick is to go slow, and make sure the knife stays at a 90 degree angle to the foam at alll times. This is especially critical when you do cutting on tight turns like around the inside of the grip etc. Don't try and make round cuts that are too tight. Better to make short, straight line cuts.

Also, don't stop cutiing until you are at the end of a line, or you will "Goober" it up.

Use blackboard chalk to make your outline, and remember to cut on the inside of the line so gun is snug in the foam. Then take a damp rag to remove chalk line.

Use "Spray Contact Cement" on both the bottom of the "Cut Piece" of Foam, and the layer of foam that the gun will lay on. Read the directions. Be careful not to put adhesive on the foam that will touch the gun.

Hope this helps!
Tack
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you cut the bottom so you still have padding for your gun to sit on, and not cut all the way through?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The case will have 3 layers of foam.
You will cut the middle layer.
This will hold your parts in place as the outer 2 sandwich the middle.

p.s. if you don't have an electric knife, this style cuts very well:

most kitchen sets have a blade with this type of seration...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Electric knife. around $20 at CVS.

+1  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't tried it yet but, I have heard that throwing the foam in the freezer for while makes it much easier to cut well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I haven't tried it yet but, I have heard that throwing the foam in the freezer for while makes it much easier to cut well.

+1 on the freezer trick!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Annother thought is how are you placing your rifle in the case?  Too far forward or back and it will not "balance" to the carry handle... will you include mags, loaded ? binox ? Etc.  put it all into the case and arrange for balance before cutting  AND put the rifle in so with your dominant hand you can pick up and fire, not turn it around to go into usable firing condition.  AND how will the case be stored, will your rifle spend its time in the case resting upside down on the scope?

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent points, Borg! I'll keep it in mind
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like the freezer idea, always have but I never was able to and still haven't seen a freezer big enough to freeze the foam from my starlight double rifle case...

you don't have a winter coming up and can't throw it outside in the garage, but I suppose you might have a large freezer handy since you hunt deer, huh?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I really like the freezer idea, always have but I never was able to and still haven't seen a freezer big enough to freeze the foam from my starlight double rifle case...

you don't have a winter coming up and can't throw it outside in the garage, but I suppose you might have a large freezer handy since you hunt deer, huh?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know of a Pelican-style case (heavy duty...) that will fit a broken down CAR-15?  The upper will be the longest part at approx 25" in length.  Seems you could break the gun down, placing the upper along the top of the foam padding with the lower along the bottom with mag still inserted in lower.  The a couple extra mags along the side somewhere.

Im looking for a travel case like described above.  Would prefer small as possible.  The only ones I've found that would fit the length & height size are like 10" or 12" thick!  Was hoping to stay around 5-6" thickness like the normal giant Pelican case used for scoped rifles...but those are waaaaay to big in length!

Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Annother thought is how are you placing your rifle in the case?  Too far forward or back and it will not "balance" to the carry handle... will you include mags, loaded ? binox ? Etc.  put it all into the case and arrange for balance before cutting  AND put the rifle in so with your dominant hand you can pick up and fire, not turn it around to go into usable firing condition.  AND how will the case be stored, will your rifle spend its time in the case resting upside down on the scope?

Hope this helps.

All good points except the "resting upside down on the scope" concern.

If you cut the foam correctly, the scope is not getting any weight on it. The weigth would be distributed totally fore and aft across the entire weapon. Not just on the scope. Any quality scope mount will stand up to this.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
See how much a replacement foam set costs before you cut. The price of an extra set of foam should convince you an electric knife and carefully planning the (slightly undersized) cut is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#16]
And too if the case will stand on end, do you want the buttstock down or the barrel resting down?  I agree with Tac the scope should not have any problem with it resting down as the rest of the stock will take up the weight, but it is a refinement in that you may want the scope resting up if possible.

You certainly would not want the barrel down if stood on end for any length of time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anyone know of a Pelican-style case (heavy duty...) that will fit a broken down CAR-15?  The upper will be the longest part at approx 25" in length.  Seems you could break the gun down, placing the upper along the top of the foam padding with the lower along the bottom with mag still inserted in lower.  The a couple extra mags along the side somewhere.

Im looking for a travel case like described above.  Would prefer small as possible.  The only ones I've found that would fit the length & height size are like 10" or 12" thick!  Was hoping to stay around 5-6" thickness like the normal giant Pelican case used for scoped rifles...but those are waaaaay to big in length!

Thanks for any info.

This is exactly what I am looking for also.  I too am running into the same problems with finding a case that is to deep.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top