Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:23:28 PM EDT
What are generally considered the best...

J223...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Its mostly a matter of opinion, and don't laugh but.....Alta knee pads are great. You can find them at most any hardware store, like Home Depot, etc. Their attachment system is better then the velcro closure you usually see. And they are cheaper if they don't say "tactical" somewhere on the label.

All knee pads wear out. Some faster then others. So if you really use them, plan on replacing them sometime in the near future.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You might give these a look. There comfortable, durable and easy to put on and take off.

www.kpindustries.com/tactical.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
as dorky as it sounds, Rollerblade.  I used them to great effect at Thunder Ranch last summer, just tear off the reflective strips and you're good to go.  Mine have stood up to nearly ten years of extremely hard use, and were only 20 bucks or so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Lancelot, as to the issue of wearing out, you may want to check the local skate shop. There are caps that adhere to the plastic cap of the kneepad with 3M adhesive. Thus you'll be wearing out replacement caps as opposed to the ones that are part of the kneepad.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently had a USMC CWO loan me his KP's for a quick eval..they are sweet.
My Alta's just hit the trash-
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive been using Hatch centurions for years. You can beat them up pretty good, and they just stay on. The thing that I dont like about kneepads is they dont breath all that well, especially considering wearing them for days at a time. You can end up with a small rash. But Id rather have a little rash, than a busted kneecap. Definitly worth the $18 you lay down for a pair... The other option is buying thepants that have the pockets for the foam in them allready. That would seem the most comfortable to me. I think 5.11 makes them??
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
reminds me of star wars ... those dudes in the white plastic outfits.

how much are they????

got my alta's knee/elbo for $29.00 us. are they comparable in price???

looks interesting.

meat
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the breathing idea w/ knee pads.  
i havn't tried them out, but there are knee pads out there w/ 4 clips to hook onto your pants leg.  
i already have mine (black hawks-i ordered hatch but streicher's sent me the blackhawks.  since i have hatch at work i figured i'd try the bh product).  they seem pretty comparable.
i don't really care for how your pants leg bunches up either from the straps.  oh, well.  when the ones i just bought wear out, maybe i'll try them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... The other option is buying thepants that have the pockets for the foam in them allready. That would seem the most comfortable to me. I think 5.11 makes them??

The 5.11 pants have a pocket on the inside of the knees for pads. I have a couple of sets of the pads, and they are OK for qualification & light-duty on the range, but I find them to be too thin for rough duty. They are better than no pads, but if you kneel on a rock or piece of gravel, you definitely know it. Dropping to kneeling on concrete or blacktop, they just dont have enough padding for my old, aching knees. For heavy-duty use, I use the Alta pads, but the others may be just as good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
i havn't tried them out, but there are knee pads out there w/ 4 clips to hook onto your pants leg.

Those would be the dexter meadows. I have not glommed onto a pair yet, but I sure would like to. I think that tehy would be worlds ahead in comfort as they have no straps to bid and chaffe.

Quite some time ago (years) I saw in Pop Sic. or Pop Mechan. in the what's new section a pattented combined one piece shin and knee guard that attached around your boot cuff and cantilevered up to protect both shin and knee. I though that was pretty slick but I have never seen them or anyhting like them since.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Depending on what you are doing will dictate what kind to use.  If its only for some sort of schooling then any will do.  I've used Hatch kneepads and have had ok luck with them.

For actual call outs or work related I didn't usually wear them cause I hated running with them on.  

But situation dictates.

- Go
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Depending on what you are doing will dictate what kind to use.  If its only for some sort of schooling then any will do....
- Go

No matter what type/brand of knee pad one decides to buy, please bear in mind one important thing:

The pad should have a hard shell (interior or exterior). Why?

Imagine dropping down on one knee, with all of your weight, onto an upright shell casing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Try not to flame me guys --- I agree bigtime with the above post .  I tear up one pair of knee pads a year playing woodsball/senario paintball.  I've tripped several times onto tree stumps, rocks, crawling around on sharp objects ect... If the item you use can't handle the impact of you dropping to your knees onto hard / uneven objects, then they're not worth using.  So far, the Alta's are next in my sights, I've used Blackhawk, Hatch, and the clip-on's from Dexter.  So far, Hatch wins overall.

I feild test my SHTF gear while playing paintball.  So far, my little torture tests have exposed weaknesses in product designs that are hard to see doing the usual tactical classes.  

BTW -- EO Tech's take a shit load of abuse -- I've had many direct hits into the lens (300 ft/sec) and NO scratches.  The version WITHOUT  the roll bar ...

J223...

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the Altar for work and play...great stuff !
They are easy to go on and off.
They don´t disturb when running, don´t slip and the plastik-plate
has a "soft-tough" coating. It don´t makes so much noise when scrubbing along somewere...by accident of cource ;)

About Hatch...I went in a store to try them on. As they were strapped on I went down on one knee and..."ping" the plastic-plate broke off at two of the  hollow-screws. Just by trying them on !
No Hatch for me!!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the ones the 101st ABN uses. They are made by Bijans Protective Equipment. They never fall down and can be worn for days with no irriatation. They use a hard plastic plate (I coated them with a spray on rubber coating) that stays put when you move while the cloth around them flexes. They have a couple of cons though 1.Kind of hard to put on or take off due to the double elastic straps. 2. Hard to find outside of a surplus store, Bijans doesnt sell to the public.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I was issued the Hellstorm BHI pads, and cracked one down the middle.  A teammate also broke his in the same manner.

For an upgrade I am using the Arctery'x kneecaps.  I have the straight telemark / ice-climbing version, with  yellow foam core for the padding.  If anyone whines about the visible border on the foam, shoot them with krylon or alumahyde II and be done with it.  

Eventually I'll try the Alta pads, but I like to think outside the locker now and then...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Using them for Tactical Blowjobs? [j/k]

Quoted:
as dorky as it sounds, Rollerblade.  I used them to great effect at Thunder Ranch last summer, just tear off the reflective strips and you're good to go.  Mine have stood up to nearly ten years of extremely hard use, and were only 20 bucks or so.

That's what I used for a while. Then I got a set of the Blackhawk ones. They seemed to work well enough. Most of the time they were better ankle warmers though.

I liked the ones with a piece of plastic on the front. Better than the ones that are just padding if you expect to be using them on any surfaces that might rip through the padding material. Disadvantage, though, is they make more noise of hard top like concrete and since they aren't as "maleable"  they kind of turn your knees into rockers. That can tend to be annoying as well.

I'm pretty sure the padded ones are made pretty strong these days though and you probably wouldn't tear through them for a while unless you are going to be kneeling in broke glass or something.

ps This would have been more appropriately started in Tactical Gear
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#19]

I'm pretty sure the padded ones are made pretty strong these days though and you probably wouldn't tear through them for a while unless you are going to be kneeling in broke glass or something.

BTDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I just purchased some of the KP Industries Knee pads.  Hinged joint helps with movement, and they stay where they should.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Shouldn't this be posted over on the Women's Shooters forum?  

It's A JOKE, lighten up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a pair of the BHI/Hellstorm kneepads, and they've served well through three tac classes, occasional range/training work, and all sorts of stuff around the house that involved extended kneeling.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Shouldn't this be posted over on the Women's Shooters forum?  
It's A JOKE, lighten up.

Tactical Forum though. What do knee pads have to do with AR accessories. Someone's forum-fu is weak!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want heavy duty ones look at these. I've worn mine all day and are pretty comfy for how much leg they cover. I've taken some hard crashes and they work well. I use Alta's but your needs may differ. www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pads/product_122797.shtml
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top