Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 11:44:25 AM EDT
About all the ones I see mount the rear attachment point at the back of the buttstock but some mount it at the back of the receiver like a single point sling.   What are the advantages and disadvantages of mounting at the buttstock vs the receiver/buffer tube junction?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If the rear mounting point is on the buttstock the rifle will hold tighter to your body and feel more secure with less movement.

If the rear mounting point is at the junction of the lower receiver and extension tube, then the rifle will be "looser." But, you may find that you can transition from one shoulder to the other without choking yourself. With the sling in the rear postition, shoulder transitions are difficult if not impossible.

If you're NOT doing lots of shoulder transitions, then either place will do. And of course if you're doing lots of building clearing or transitions, then a single point may work better.

Actually in the setup shown above, I can move the QD swivel forward and back without needing to adjust the sling length. I have a second sling setup in single point mode.

Personal preference and available hardware make the difference here. Use what works best for you and your needs.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for explaining and showing the pics.  One question though, how do you get by without adjusting the sling's length when moving the rear attch point from the buttstock to the receiver?  Wouldn't that add about twice the length of the stock (approx 24") to the length of the sling?  Wouldn't it hang way lower without re-adjustment?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for explaining and showing the pics.  One question though, how do you get by without adjusting the sling's length when moving the rear attch point from the buttstock to the receiver?  Wouldn't that add about twice the length of the stock (approx 24") to the length of the sling?  Wouldn't it hang way lower without re-adjustment?

Keep in mind on a three point sling that the sling slides through the rear loop the same way regardless of where the loop is placed. All you're doing is sliding the QD swivel forward on the sling, or rearward on the sling.

The front swivel is really what determines where (or how low) the gun hangs, since the sling is one long piece with a loop in it. So the length from the front swivel to your shoulder remains constant.

Try this, or try to visualize this.

Tie a string on your rifle at the muzzle end. (assuming a right handed shooter)
Take the string up over your right shoulder, then down your back and back around to the muzzle. Adjust it so the muzzle hangs where you want it, and tie it off. The string is now connected to your rifle at the muzzle and no where else. (Basically a single point sling with the single point at the muzzle)

Grab the string and hold it to the rifle at the lower receiver point. Then let go of the rifle and slide your hand back along the string to the buttstock swivel.

All that to say you really have to try it to see how it works. I'll try to post pictures later if I get time.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Lancelot, I'm newbie to the hardware mounts of the sling. What are installed on your unit?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lancelot, I'm newbie to the hardware mounts of the sling. What are installed on your unit?

Sorry I missed this.

The front sight tower mount is a QD (quick disconnect) by KAC
The rear mount is built into the Vltor stock.
The middle one is the PR4 mount by Tango Down.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top