BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2005 9:03:02 PM EDT
Well boys, here it is.  The texture is THE SHIT.

Link Posted: 7/3/2005 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
very cool. It's next on my list. Looks like the texture is made of  " little Magpul logos"..
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They are.

That's pretty badass!
I know us pre-prod folks can swap out for the new ones,
but I kind of like having the "limited edition" ones...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
where do we send 'em in?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Im not quite sold on them yet, but they look awesome!

i just dont know if i can give up the rubbery tackiness of my hogue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Are these on the market yet?  I'm thinking at least one is worth a try.  But I'm afraid I might like it, then I'll have to buy seven more.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
they are definitely fun if you like to constantly move shit around from gun to gun or parts bin to gun and back and forth- not that the grip ever comes off, it's fun to add and replace parts all day long.  

I was in the group buy last fall, sat through the whole "design committee" thing and waited and waited.  Got my set of parts in December.  Still fiddle a little bit here and there with frontstraps, backstraps and what I want to shove up inside the grip:)

Supposedly we can exchange our pre-buy textured versions in for this new finalized type.  mmm...

I might want to hold onto them until they become little collector's items or status symbols for the Gucci Gear Club!  Oh how I love to say "I was there first!!"
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If my memory serves me correctly.. I had heard something about a gap between the main body and the backstrap pinching some peoples hand.  Has that been fixed on this finalized version?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
those were babies.  you don't want to listen to babies, do you?

really though, it was the gucci gear gals getting too worked up over what they thought their idea of perfection should be.

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Now that's just f*cking SLICK!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The grip looks nice.  By the way who made the lower on the rifle, it has the pictogram markings.

Jason
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
What optic is that in front of your Eotech
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The lower is a RRA.  Not sure what the pictagrams are that you speak of.  Are you talking about the FIRE, SAFE and the RRA logo?  If so, just a little red and white crayon.

It's a PVS-14 night vision IFO the EOTech.

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice, I hope the texture is aggressive.  I'm almost ready to try to swap the pre-production textured set from the GB for a recessed.  Or maybe I'll just use some abrasive bedliner instead...

My first set of skater tape is ready for a redo after a Rogers class.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine does not have the tecture in the shape of the Magpul symbol.  I didn't think mine was that old, but maybe I am wrong.....Also, is it really worth switching out to get the "current" production?
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What happened?
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened?

3 days x umpteen hundred repetitions of mounting and transitioning the carbine = smooth, shiny skateboard tape

Funny, it lasted for months of low round count range use and static fondling
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened?

3 days x umpteen hundred repetitions of mounting and transitioning the carbine = smooth, shiny skateboard tape

Wassup wih dah??
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mine does not have the tecture in the shape of the Magpul symbol.  I didn't think mine was that old, but maybe I am wrong.....Also, is it really worth switching out to get the "current" production?

It appears that these just hit the market this week, and I can't wait to trade in my pre-production set for the new ones. The old ones felt "brittle" to me, with very little"tackiness". IMHO.

Just got an Email from Rich Fitzpatrick @ Magpul, and he said that I could swap out the pre-production for the new ones by dropping by the factory here in Colorado and they'll do the swap.

Tack
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
very cool. It's next on my list. Looks like the texture is made of  " little Magpul logos".. hr

x2
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The lower is a RRA.  Not sure what the pictagrams are that you speak of.  Are you talking about the FIRE, SAFE and the RRA logo?  If so, just a little red and white crayon.

It's a PVS-14 night vision IFO the EOTech.

img194.echo.cx/img194/6674/flarironpatrolriflecalwalkings.jpg

I so need to upgrade my working gun.........................

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Coyote brown my Norrell's tan MRE:

Closeup:

As you can see, the main body was a bit darker than the accessory panels.  The accessory panels were a near perfect match for the Norrell's I applied.  Not exactly sure what I think, as I've been shooting everything with SPR grips for over a year now, but I think I like the way it feels.

A sore spot side note:  The Crane clone toy Airsoft stock on this rifle is starting to wobble and oval out at the operating lever shaft after about 500 or so rounds of light to medium use.  This wasn't unexpected, so I'm going to mod it with the bushing I came up with to see if I can stop the degradation.  If I can't, then I guess I'll have to save up for another LMT.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Coyote brown my Norrell's tan MRE:

img344.imageshack.us/img344/5315/dsc021789db.jpg

Closeup:

img152.imageshack.us/img152/7510/dsc021829xi.jpg

As you can see, the main body was a bit darker than the accessory panels.  The accessory panels were a near perfect match for the Norrell's I applied.  Not exactly sure what I think, as I've been shooting everything with SPR grips for over a year now, but I think I like the way it feels.

A sore spot side note:  The Crane clone toy Airsoft stock on this rifle is starting to wobble and oval out at the operating lever shaft after about 500 or so rounds of light to medium use.  This wasn't unexpected, so I'm going to mod it with the bushing I came up with to see if I can stop the degradation.  If I can't, then I guess I'll have to save up for another LMT.

Nice Blaster!

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened?

Wassup wih dah??

Oh hey, it's been cold and then hot and then the overtime...  My range options are short at the moment, but improving
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know if you can fit a cam pin with the spare bolt/fp core?  If so, does it rattle and is there a way to quiet it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I was just going to ask about the two tone mine came that way.  I will give you a call later in the week.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for the help Richard.  Any idea when the redesign will take place?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Any reason for the 2 tone on the grip?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Any reason for the 2 tone on the grip?

That's the way it came, as I posted above.  Also note that Magpul offered to send me matching pieces.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Is this or the Tango Down grip better for small handed shooters? I've got no way of testing either one out, unfortunently.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Is this or the Tango Down grip better for small handed shooters? I've got no way of testing either one out, unfortunently.

I like the MIAD cause I can tailor the fit to my liking.

Danny
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The Tango Down, at least in my hands, feels really small and I have average sized hands. I've found the MIAD with B2 backstrap and trigger guard frontstrap to be very comfortable for me.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I like the MIAD cause I can tailor the fit to my liking.

+1

I've tried several different grips for the AR-15, and this is the ONLY one that  even comes close to fitting my hand  .

A BIG thumbs up for Magpul!!!

Magpul

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Mongo-

Is your grip going to match the rifle or NOT match the rifle?  Is the correct color the color of the body or the front and back panels?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I have had great success with other Magpul products, and like the concept of the MIAD grip.  I have two and the texture is great.  

Now the bad part, seems that not all receivers are made the same.  Using backstrap #1, on my RRA lower, there is a 1mm horizontal gap from the top of the grip to the lower receiver.  And it's installed correctly.  I'm just anal and can't stand the gap.  I tried to put in the roll pin, and my trusty Craftsman punch snapped in two putting a gouge in the MIAD body.  Called Magpul and asked for price on replacement body.  They offered to send it for free for my bad luck.  No fault of theirs.  Like I said, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I have now switched to backstrap #2 and like it more.  Plus it hides the gap.  Received my second MIAD and tried to tighten it down last night and heard a crack from the grip.  Took it apart, there is a hair line crack that goes all the way through.  What luck.    
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Now the bad part, seems that not all receivers are made the same.

What it really comes down to is the manufacturer's tolerances. Some are more demanding than others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had some two tone version go out the door before we caught them. We are running a set of backstraps to match the bodies for the OD and Coyote this coming week so give me a call on Wensday or so and I will get matching panels to you (althought I think the two tone looks good).

We are going to have the material color mixed at the factory as soon as we can so we can avoid issues like this.

Thanks, Rich, I'll stick with the two tone.  It doesn't bother me at all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have had great success with other Magpul products, and like the concept of the MIAD grip.  I have two and the texture is great.  

Now the bad part, seems that not all receivers are made the same.  Using backstrap #1, on my RRA lower, there is a 1mm horizontal gap from the top of the grip to the lower receiver.  And it's installed correctly.  I'm just anal and can't stand the gap.  I tried to put in the roll pin, and my trusty Craftsman punch snapped in two putting a gouge in the MIAD body.  Called Magpul and asked for price on replacement body.  They offered to send it for free for my bad luck.  No fault of theirs.  Like I said, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I have now switched to backstrap #2 and like it more.  Plus it hides the gap.  Received my second MIAD and tried to tighten it down last night and heard a crack from the grip.  Took it apart, there is a hair line crack that goes all the way through.  What luck.    

I'd quit before I made an ass out of myself.  I tightened one grip too hard early on and cracked it.  Sent it in for a replacement after I was told the plastic wasn't up to their standards.  I didn't go on to break anymore, but it's America, so feel free.  

where is this 1mm that everyone is complaining about?  my grips have a separation in between every major piece as a modul "anything" should have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know where I could pick up a basic black kit? EE seems fresh out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I could pick up a basic black kit? EE seems fresh out.

Contact Magpul directly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Called Magpul, seems I'm not the only one with a cracked MIAD.  They said that some else also brought in one.  After examining it, a batch of them were pulled from the molds when they were still hot and didn't cool properly.  They'll send out a replacement.

Another thumbs up for Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I got my MIAD today. I like the grip a lot. Any way I can tell the difference between a production model and a pre-production?

There is a slight color difference between the body and the backstrap.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks Richard.

Funny you should say green. My first thought was it was an OD grip that didn't quite take the color.

On a similar note, what was part F3 designed to fit / do?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#48]
F3 is the part that makes the front of the grip solid with no slot, right?  It's  made to fit on an A.R.M.S. mount and to be used as a forward grip like the one on all of the ZM Weapons models...

Richard-

I've got a ton of grip inserts and front and rear backstraps.  Should I send them all in for new production versions?  All of them are from the pre-buy.  Is the polymer changed or is it just the textured parts I should swap??

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone know?

When you use the roll pin to fix the backstrap in place, what size punch do you need to push the pin out again? None of the punches in my toolbox fit.

And the one thing it needs (IMHO)
Smoothe frontstrap with integral trigger guard

This can be duplicated with the stand alone enhanced trigger guard, but the one piece option would be a more elegant solution.

And can we get a built in pencil sharpener?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top