Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2005 6:44:58 AM EDT
I read that you should not keep guns in foam lined cases because the foam attracts moisture, aiding the rusting process.

I have kept guns in foam cases for as long as I can remember and have never had any problems. I have also kept a light coat of oil on the guns in the cases and do check/shoot them regularly, meaning that the guns are regularly cleaned and relubricated,

What's your opinion on the foam lined case? Any problems? Does anyone store guns in foam for long term periods? Or am I just worrying about nothing?

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Some petroleum products react badly to some foam materials....., could lead to a mess if left for long periods of time.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep 2 trap guns in a foam lined case @ all times. The only time they are not in the case is when I am @ the trap range, and right after when I clean them both. Never had any problems here. But like you said in your post, I clean them regularly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I store my C3 stuff in Pelican cases with custom fitted high density foam, no problems
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
pelican case, but just got my AR, so cant say thing any long trem
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Open cell foam (the common stuff) is a no-no. The expensive as hell closed cell foam will not promote rust via LT storage.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone here have a good source for closed cell foam?  I would like to swap out the open cell foam in my Starlight case with closed cell.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone here have a good source for closed cell foam?  I would like to swap out the open cell foam in my Starlight case with closed cell.

Thanks,

Starlight sells replacement closed cell foam as an alternative to the open cell foam that comes standard.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, not a foam expert here. How can I tell the difference between open and closed?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok, not a foam expert here. How can I tell the difference between open and closed?

Open cell foam is soft and absorbant, like a sponge.

Closed cell foam is more firm and just beads water, like styrofoam.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotcha'...thanks!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top