Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2005 12:50:34 PM EDT
I'm new to the whole AR scene, so forgive me if this is a redundant thread.

I'm looking to get a sling for my new AR. I haven't had any experience any thing other than the standard deer rifle sling. These tactical slings look nice and functional. I've been eyeballing Specter Gear's (formerly CQB) slings. Particularly the SOP sling.

What type of Sling do you prefer?
What do you like about your choice of sling?
What sling manufacturer do you like the best?

On a side note, I'd like to get a buttstock cartridge holder for my Rem 700. I haven't found much selection out there, I don't think I've looked in the right places. I'm looking for something that has a flap to cover the cartidges as well as provide a more comfortable cheek weld on the stock.

Thanks for humoring a Newb.h.gif
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the mout and sop sling.... both serve different functions.
mout is nice cause it doesn't get hung up on your gear like the sop sling does.
i asked a similar question to one of our mods, hoplite who is in the box at the moment. he prefers the viking tac sling.check out the armory forum under i beleive 1st line gear or 2nd line gear posted by hoplite.

meat
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a MOUT sling off the EE, and I like it.  It's my first experience with a single point sling, after trying just about everything else out there.

IMHO single point slings go best with shorter, lighter weapons like a 16" AR.  They're handy and really easy to use in the off-shoulder, but just don't seem to distribute the weight of a heavier rifle as well as a 3-point.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I like single-points except n carbine classes. The 3 pointshe rifle  allow the rifle to hang w/o hitting the ground while doing other things like loading mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Single point/Wilderness
Three point/CQB 137

Rifle buttstock ammo pouch for 700/Eagle Ind
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used the following slings, ranked in my preference order:

1. Viking Tactics
2. Specter MOUT
3. Spec-Ops Wolf Hook
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#6]
blue force gear single point.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Most 3 point slings have to be taken off in MOUT, they don't allow a rapid transition  to weak side shooting.

The single points are the first slings that allow weeks and strong side shooting without any issues.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the 137-SOP with TRB and ERB.   It was comfortable for situations where you would have to wear the rifle for several hours, but was a impossible to wrap the sling around your front wrist for distance shots (the TRB and ERB buckles were in the way).   When transitioning to the weak side with, the TRB broke (cheap plastic).

I prefer single point slings on carbines, and 2 or 3-point slings on longer rifles.   You need to try them out and see what works for you, as we all have different uses for our weapons and what we will be doing with them.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone. You've helped a ton. I'm going to get the mout sling. It seems to be the simplest.

Also, thanks for the tip on the Eagle Ind tip, it will also fit my needs.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top