Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2004 5:33:26 AM EDT
thinking about changing from ear muffs to custom molded ear plugs...do you think this is a good idea? several manufacturers indicate +-5 year life span on these..is this accurate or BS? are any specific brands better than the others? please advise
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never used a pair but I am kind of curious also
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a pair at Perry last year, have worked with out any major problems.  I've used them for shooting, mowing the lawn, and for construction.  I sometimes have to play with them a bit to get a good seal, but once they are in they won't knock loose or get in my way when shooting.

I have been very happy with them over the past year and would get another pair when these ones wear out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they are great.  I got em at a gunshow a little while back.  Around 35-40 dollars if I remember correctly.

They fit perfectly, and are very good at noise reduction.  I'd guess around 30dB if not more.

Nice because you don't have those big honking muffs around your ears messing up the cheek weld.

If you need even more noise reduction, say an AR50 or Y-comp next to ya at the range, you can wear muffs over them.

dpmmn,  I've got them,  a friend that occasionally goes shooting with me has em (he uses em in his band too) and death451 has em.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I make those plugs.  They work very well and are quite comfortable.  I like them because when I wear hearing protection, I am usually wearing it for quite a long time.  Ear muffs make my ears sweat and are a PITA when shooting long guns.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What's a good source for these?  I found a company that manufactured them online, but they didn't seem to be selling them to individuals, and never replied to my email.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#6]
i've found stores that sell hearing aids normally sell custom molded earplugs also..they range in price from about $65 - $110 depending on features such as being able to hear low range speech..once molds are made, they send them to manufactures..quoted delivery time is +-2 weeks or so..one manufacturer is westone.com with a list of local molding stores..probably many other manufacturers available and i haven't tried westone yet
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine at a local Glock (GSSF) match about 4 years ago.

Best $60 I've ever spent!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Properly fitted (both when made and when you wear them), they work as well as a good pair of earmuffs, but they don't get between you and the gun or make you extra hot in the summer. A great investment!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had mine a coupe of years and they work great.  They are comfortable and don't give me a headach during extended wear like the universal type did.  I paid 30.00 and it only took about 45 min.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one made by a local ear doctor (the proper term for one escapes me). He took the molds one day, sent them off to a lab, and a few days later, I had my ear plugs. They cost me a bit under $70 with tax. Honestly, I'd much rather have him or any other doctor do it rather than some random person at a gun show.
I like them for shotgun sports but since your ear still amplifies some of the sound due to the way it's shaped, I wouldn't recommend them for indoor ranges.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top