Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 12:19:50 AM EDT
Does anybody have any feedback about the military's bipod for the M16 rifle?  I think it is called either the M3 or M6 bipod.  I'm curious about how it attaches to the rifle.   Would I have any trouble mounting it on my 20" BM gov't profile barrel with A2 f/s?  Or was this bipod used only for M16A1 rifles.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The one I have is just a metal bipod that is spring loaded. It works kind of like a pair of scissors. It does not atatch to the gun permanently. (wish I could spell) Even though I have one, I was never in a unit that issued them.

The thing snaps shut grabbing the barrel in its jaws. You squeeze the legs together to remove it. It will move some on the barrel and will scratch it up. Normally it goes under the front sight tower but I suppose you could clamp it on anywhere.

It should fit any GI type barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Lancelot.  I think I will buy one and check it out.  There is one at an army surplus store for $12.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
NO NO NO!!!!

Do not buy that bi-pod! It is made for A1 barreled weapons. Your A2 (heavy diameter under the front sight tower) will be too thick for this. I bought one a LONG time ago and they don't fit. Save your cash and get a harris bi-pod if you really want one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Mo4040.  You just saved me from wasting $12.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
They work great on A1 barrels though. I have been thinking about opening one up to fit the larger barrel.

Rats
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
COLT did make one for the heavier A2 barrel.  I have only seen them in their catalogs, I have never seen a real one.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top