Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:32:19 PM EDT
I am getting a quad rail from RRA and I need to get my some rail covers The ones I am looking to buy our Daniel defense covers. But what is the difference between the panel and ladder type. Pic's would help very much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The panels completely cover the rails while the ladder style fit down between the rails.  Basically the difference is that the ladder style are a lower profile so that the handguards are more comfortable for people with smaller hands while the panel style do a better job of protecting the rails, and protection your hands from potentially hot rail.

This one has rail panels on the side:

This one has ladder style covers on the side:
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer panels, by far.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, Panels it is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I prefer panels, by far.

+1. without a vert grip the ladder type will make you burn the hell out of yourself.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just something to think about:  on panels that slide on (like those from KAC and Tango Down), if you want to put one on the top rail, you'd have to remove any BUIS and optic from the upper receiver, slide the panel on, then replace the sights.  For this reason, I like using panels on the sides and bottom, but use the ladder type on top.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just something to think about:  on panels that slide on (like those from KAC and Tango Down), if you want to put one on the top rail, you'd have to remove any BUIS and optic from the upper receiver, slide the panel on, then replace the sights.  For this reason, I like using panels on the sides and bottom, but use the ladder type on top.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What about the MagPull ones?  Do they slide on from the end or "snap" on?

I really like the look of the ladder style, but it seems like they don't really provide much insulation.   Aside from running hotter, do they improve the general comfort at all?

If I have a regualr FSB and an A2 upper (fixed carry handle) will I not be able to install the slide on type on the upper rail without removing the FSB?

I'm having my 4-Rail tube put on right now, but relative to a standard, aluminum, fluted, free float tube do the ventilated 4 rail tubes get hotter?  Seems to me they'd run a little cooler since heat can escape out of the top.  Even after dumping a couple of magazines rapidly (Semi-Auto) my standard free float tube got warm, but never hot enough to burn me or anything (At the same time the barrel would take your skin off).
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What about the MagPull ones?  Do they slide on from the end or "snap" on?

Magpuls snap on
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Magpuls snap on

Is this a bad thing?  Are the type that slide on better for any particular reason?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally, I like the snap on type a little more, since the slide on have ripped enough nails off my thumbs in the last 4-5 years.  However since they go on easier they also come off easier.  

I use a combination with my rifles, with the slide on, on the sides and bottom and the snap on type on top and where my light goes when it's not mounted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I think that, by far, the best ladder style panels are the panels that come with the Surefire M73. They are somewhat "overmolded" and have a very grippy rubbery texture. I'm just not sure if they can be ordered by themselves. Very impressed by the design. May have to check with one of the dealers that carry the M73 to see if just the panels can be ordered.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Magpuls snap on

Is this a bad thing?  Are the type that slide on better for any particular reason?

Snap-On style panels are great for their ease of putting on the rail, the only negative I've heard is they also come off easy.  I have also seen ladder style covers partially come off during heavy use. Ladders are great for protecting the 12:00 rail but as stated above, offer no protection from heat.

Materials used on both TangoDown panels and Knights panels is more durable.

The negative with KAC panels is they need to have their clip engaged at either end of the rail whereas TD panels can engage anywhere along the 1913 rail.  This comes in handy when the panels are going on a longer rail platform, or have been trimmed.

good luck

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC,

Ladder type rail panels were for protecting the rails themselves from getting dinged-up (and rendering them unable to mount stuff on) and not for protection of the hands.

Something to consider......
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top