Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:24:08 AM EDT
I just got a 6 position stock for my AR, it didn't come with any directions so being impatient I tore into it and messed things up (something so easy). I unscrewd my old regular stock and prceeded to screw my new stock in as far as I could, well it  jammed up against the buffer guide. I then looked to see how deep my old one went in and screwed my new one into about that depth. To make a long story short the pin and spring took off across the room and I lost the spring. So I ordered a new one from Bushmaster today. Does anyone have a good set of instructions or web site with some. I need to know how deep to go with the new stock and how close it should be to the buffer guide.

Jercat
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If you look at the buffer retaining detent, it is wide at the base and has a narrower pin that extends upward.  You should screw the receiver extension in far enough that it covers the wide portion of the detent so that it can't come out, but it should allow the narrow portion to come up high enough to keep the buffer from coming out.

If the threads on your receiver extension extend all the way to the end of the receiver extension then the pin won't be able to stick up far enough to hold the buffer in correctly.  If you look at the threads on your old receiver extension you'll see that the threads end about 1/8" from the end so that the detent can do it's job.  If the end of your new receiver extension doesn't look like the end of your old one then you should use a file to remove the threads at the bottom of the extension so that the detent can come out enough to work properly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the quick reply, not if I can find that darn spring.hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, I just noticed you're new to the boards so welcome and hello!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Donavon, don't feel bad. I not only lost the buffer detent and spring completely, I lost the rear takedown detent spring too. Sad part is I KNEW better than to be careless but was in too much of a hurry to replace my full stock with the fiberite one that I didn;t pay close enough attention to detail.

It happens.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
As a preventative measure, make sure you mind the takedown spring when you tighten down the castle nut - it is easy to kink it.

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
welcome donavon.

read thru ........THIS

hope it helps, and it will surely provide you a lot of insight on the mechanics of your rifle

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
RB Precision has some illustrated step-by-step instructions here
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for your help.  As impatient as I am with new toys I am sure I will post often :-)

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top