Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 10:57:34 AM EDT
I want to get one of the after-market charging handle release lever extensions to replace the stock one that came on my Armalite .223 carbine because it is sort of difficult to get fingers on the charging handle after mounting my scope.  It is a flat top AR.  I have the scope mounted fairly low.

I see that the release lever is held in by a round brad pin, but in order to get this pin out, it looks like it is necessary to remove the charging handle from the gun in order to tap it out of the handle.

How is the charging handle remove from the gun ?  Can it be remove when the upper is remove from the lower or is there more disassembly that is required ?

Also, I notice that there is a good bit of up & down/vertical play in the charging handle on this gun.  Is this normal on this type of gun ?  I am new to this AR thing.  I have many firearms but this is the first AR that I have owned.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
pivot the upper (tip it foward...) or remove it from the lower.  pull charging handle to back, remove bolt carrier & bolt.  handle should drop down (or up, if you're holding the upper upside down)

I'd strongly suggest reading in the "information" section of the site -- I believe there is a link to the army's field manual which describes things like this.

ETA:  There's LOTS of good stuff there
the field manual
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
not to be an ass...........but do you ever clean your rifle and if so I suppose you never get the crud from above the CH....good luck to ya'
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF? Over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How is the charging handle remove from the gun ?  Can it be remove when the upper is remove from the lower or is there more disassembly that is required ?

Thanks.

You have got to be kidding.

Have you actually held one of these guns?  You sure don't sound like you own one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want to get one of the after-market charging handle release lever extensions to replace the stock one that came on my Armalite .223 carbine because it is sort of difficult to get fingers on the charging handle after mounting my scope.  It is a flat top AR.  I have the scope mounted fairly low.

I see that the release lever is held in by a round brad pin, but in order to get this pin out, it looks like it is necessary to remove the charging handle from the gun in order to tap it out of the handle.

Also, I notice that there is a good bit of up & down/vertical play in the charging handle on this gun.  Is this normal on this type of gun ?  I am new to this AR thing.  I have many firearms but this is the first AR that I have owned.

Thanks.

Guess nobody read the "I am new to this AR thing" part....

When you field strip the rifle, the bolt and bolt carrier slide out to the rear. You can then remove the charging handle from the upper receiver by giving it a little downward pressure and pulling it out to the rear also.

If you want to replace the charging handle latch with an extended one, you will need a hammer and a small pin punch. Be advised that the latch is held in place with the pin, and there is a spring in the charging handle as well that helps the latch "latch."

Drive out the pin with the hammer and pin punch. Be careful not to loose the pin, and or let the spring launch the latch across the room. Remove the original latch and replace it with the new extended latch. Getting it back in place takes three hands and a little patience. Once the latch is in place and the holes are lined up, replace the pin to hold it all together. It will require a little pushing with a hammer to get the pin reset.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top