Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2004 11:18:59 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy a gun safe and would like to hear from others with some experience.  Currently, I have 7 long guns and 3 pistols but need something that will allow for growth and storage of other valuables also.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Slidestop,  good advice...thanks.  Any opinions on brand, options, or places to buy?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That old saying bigger is better comes to mind . Buy the biggest safe you can afford , because your going to full it . Not only with gun related things but personal things too.

exactly correct!  buy as big as you can afford and or fit.  I wish I had.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Fort Knox, Liberty, and Browning, are the companies I would recommend.
I settled on a Browning because there was a dealer in my area, Shipping on a safe is a killer.
I settled on a Browning Bridger "Mid Body" because it was only 1 inch narrower than the FN Widebody model, and they only had the FN in black.
Even though the cost was quite a bit less, for the Bridger I would have preferred the FN.
Just a nicer looking box. But the Bridger serves my purpose and the immediate need that I had.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Five years ago I bought a 72"H x 60"W x 27"D safe for the guns I had at the time. When I had all my firearms in it it still echoed like an empy auditorium.

Now it is full and I am starting to look for another safe. I was told at the time to buy twice the size you think you will need. Twice is the miniumum, try three or four times the size you think.

Be aware safes at these sizes are approaching 2000lbs fast. I will be building a vault room in my next house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I to am looking to purchase a 2nd safe and will also be doing the vault room on the next house.  I figured my safe was great for my 2 AR15 and 3 shotguns and a 10/22.  Now 2 more AR's, 10/22, 4 more shotties and 2 uppers. I have no room for anymore long arms.  I still have room for pistols.  

John
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I would say is if you are a do it yourselfer , get a UHALL DOLLY the kind that you strap it down to the dolly itself you know the one with wheels and rollers up the back of it and lots of pizza and friends !   Move all rugs and take off the doors at the hinges and it WILL have to be leveled with wood shims . I got the biggest  I could fit through my smallest door .  It weighs in at 800 lbs ................I am satisfied .
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
This morning I purchased another 50 long gun Champion safe.

Here is one thing to consider, if you go much beyong 73"X40"X28 you will be better off buying two because to move a safe that large is far more trouble than two smaller units equalling the size of the big one. After speaking to most of the safe manufacturers(Most of them are in Utah) I have come to understand that not only are extremely large safes expensive to move but also more to make. The safe I purchased weighs 1100 lbs and measures 73'X41"X28", the nexy size up(from another manuf.) would have cost two and a half times more to move and would have been 50% more expensive.

Just something to consider.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a Zonatti Armor safe if you're going to be moving around in your life.  They are shipped in pieces and you assemble them yourself on site.  Their fire rating isn't as good as a regular safe though, and they are more expensive.

Don't buy from the company in that link, they are a reseller and add about $400 to the price.  Call the factory in Iowa directly.

Zanotti Armor, Inc.
123 W. Lone Tree Rd.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
(319) 232-9650
Fax (319) 232-9650

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys,

I'm in a slightly similar situation to CavJim (too many guns for the space I got).

I took a look at an Cannon American Eagle.  Cost on the unit is about $600 on sale.

Any feedback or thoughts?

-FMD
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
One thing I would say is if you are a do it yourselfer , get a UHALL DOLLY the kind that you strap it down to the dolly itself you know the one with wheels and rollers up the back of it and lots of pizza and friends !   Move all rugs and take off the doors at the hinges and it WILL have to be leveled with wood shims . I got the biggest  I could fit through my smallest door .  It weighs in at 800 lbs ................I am satisfied .

Excellent advice!

I got a Liberty, and I love it...If only it were bigger
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two Champion safes a 18(20Cu) gun and a 26gun(25Cu). I am happy with them. Nice shelf layout  and their fire rating is 1350 for 60 mins. Going much below that rating and you are getting into theft protection vrs. fire protection. They are in the mid size but they were still pretty heavy and hard to move. Lone Star gun safes in Houston can give you more details. They are a little pricey, but I think the "you get what you pay for" addage applies to safes. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with these other fellows, bigger is better. Bought the big Sportman's Steel 10 years ago, now need another. Bought it without the fireproofing. Then it was the biggest for the leastest. Decent quality, strong, good S&G lock; not one of the pretty Brownings, but it got stuffed into a walk-in closet, so who cares.
Stumbled across a thread somewhere on fireproofing safes and it basically said two layers of thick sheetrock would pretty much do it. Good advice if building a vault in the home or do it yourself with the safe. Listening to some firefighters, they said usually closets were the least effected by fire; usually a few outer layers of clothing charred, but clothing inside the pile/stack virtually left untouched.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top