Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2004 6:36:05 PM EDT
Until I find the right barrel-mounted side swivel that will work with an HBAR profile, I'm going back to an old standby.  We used to tie these back about a million years ago (ok, only about 10-12yrs but it FEELS like a million).  You might have to re-tie every couple of weeks, or maybe a little more often if you're really humping it, but this little trick actually works pretty well.

Front takes a roughly 30" piece of 550.  Rear is a simple loop made from a ~8" piece.  Ends are burned hard, knots are all square.  Front has the added bonus of silencing the sling swivel.

Link Posted: 4/26/2004 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
works for me!!!![
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Wrap the ends with 100MPH tape and I bet you won't have to re-tie them very often.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, it isn't so much that it comes untied, it's more that everything stretches out and the sling swivel gets loose.  I might try it with something with a little less stretch, like spectra-cord.  Now, if I could only find some black or OD spectra-cord...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Hal9k,

Have you seen the GG&G "Sling thing" that mounts inside the front sight? That might be a good alternative to your field-expedient arrangement. Not cheap, but nothing from GG&G is.

Your solution is fine for general use, but that nylon para-cord will melt if you heat up that barrel enough (say, a few 30-rounders in a minute). Besides detaching the sling, that will make one fine mess to scrape off of your AR (I know, I've done it!).
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You're not kidding, man!  I forgot to take one off after a night-fire exercise once.  You know, when you burn up all the unused rounds so you don't have to turn them back into the ASP?  I can remember thinking, "what's that smell?" after about the fourth mag.  I realized what it was when I tried to sling my rifle later on...

Thanks for the tip on the GG&G part.  I found what I was looking for, though.  I'm going with the M203 mount that pins onto the barrel.  It should be here early next week.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top