Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2003 6:32:16 AM EDT
I was planning on cutting some areas out of the foam in a rifle case, but it struck me that other projects which necessitated cutting foam lining have ended up rather sloppy.

I plan on putting a slot for cleaning rod, jags, maybe even a torque wrench slot.

Whats the best way to cut foam lining cleanly. On the Maryland AR15 site, in the intructions tothe infamous 26" toolbox rifle case, our friend tells us that an electric knife works well. Don't know that I've ever seen one, much less know how to use it or what to use one for.

Any help appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The electric knife they are referring to is a carving knife for turkey etc.  I just press the rifle-END Of Object Attempt-
into the foam and outline it with a pointed tip sharpie.  Then use a BRAND NEW razor blade.  I just pull straight through, don't try to saw it then it will look messy.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the electric knife.
Usually I go to the local upholstrey shop and get 1" or 1 1/2" foam big enough to make 2 layers.
One gets cut to form a base.
The other one gets the sharpie trace of the gun
Cut it out and there you go.

By using the 2 layers of foam I can take the cutout out of the case and put in another cutout if I'm taking another gun.
I have 2 double rifle cases with 4-5 cutouts including one for 6 handguns so I don't have to take 6 rugs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
you can get electric knives at your local Sporting goods stores.  they are usually in the fishing dept with the fillet knives.

[url=http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=15929&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults]i found one at basspro[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Walmart has the household model for about $15.00.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam in my new Pelican about four months ago.  Actually, my wife did it.  It came out OK.  

One thing is to remember to cut it smoothly, try not to stop/start when cutting, FWIW....

Monty
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Freeze the foam in any event, it makes it easier to cut when it gets colder, the foam becomes more firm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I used my jig saw with a blade that was filed to a razor profile... cuts nice and clean and straight.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a retractable razor blade type knife at work alot cutting ceiling tiles for fixtures.  It's not a "utility knife."  Get the one with the thin blade; it's more flexible for cutting around corners, etc.  Gotta go to the post office, but I'll be back shortly with a link.

EDIT:

Here ya go.  As I said, I've found the ones with thinner blades to be easier to use.  Good luck.

[url]http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=SNAP%2DOFF+BLADE[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
When cutting something like Styrofoam (and in this case the gray gun case foam), the arts and crafts stores sell a wire foam cutter - a couple of batteries heat up a wire held like a coping saw, which is used to cut a smooth edge.

You would mark your outline, hog out an open area in the center to allow the saw bow pass through the foam layer, and use the hot wire to make the smooth edge cut.  A good idea to practice before risking the gun case, otherwise you have to get successively larger guns and scopes to mask any mistakes.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top