Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2003 9:56:30 PM EDT
Topic says it all

thanx

jim
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It is more ergonomic.  Hold both arms out and walk around your place for a while.  If you hold your hands out as if you were holding 2 pistol grips, you'll notice that your wrists feel more comfortable.

The forward vertical grip also allows you to pull your rifle into your chest to help you control muzzle rise when going full auto, or in the case for most of us, a quick follow up shot.

Of course if you are a bench shooter, you may not feel the need to have one other than the C.D.I. factor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't get hot! [BD]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
ok cool thanx

whats CDI?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW a lot of the instructors at Gunsite claim it reduces muscle fatigue.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
humm ill deff have to check one out

what would be the least expensive way to mount one up

mind you i said least expensive not CHEEP i want it to last incase i like it haahh
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Try the AAC AR-15 accessory mounting rail, swiss vertical grip package.  This is a good and cheap way to see if you like the vertical grip.  If you like it you should save for a RAS2, FF RAS, SIR etc.
[url]http://www.advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html[/url]
Ray
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I also found this one from GG&G

http://www.gggaz.com/products/ar15ufir.php
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
C.D.I. = "Chicks Dig It"
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I also found this one from GG&G

http://www.gggaz.com/products/ar15ufir.php
View Quote

The GG&G rail and vertical grip are very well made, but they costs about $30 more than the AAC package.  Also the AAC rail is longer and will allow you to mount a vertical grip closer to the receiver.  IMHO, the GG&G grip is made better and it has a built in storage area, but again I don’t think it is worth the cost over the AAC.

Ray
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Controls muzzle rise in rapid fire.
Most M4 style guns have so much hanging off the front, you need it.  Those same tools on the forearm make the gun front heavy.  Having your weak hand in a verticle position places your bone structure in a better position to comfortably support that weight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
It makes it easier spray firing from the hip .
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Its an extra place to store batteries [:p]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the AAC kit.  It survived a three-day carbine class with Pat Rogers a couple of weekends ago.

It does have some lateral movement if you flex it side to side..

Like said above, I am saving for a RAS now.

Monty
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Bult4mud,

I'm sure you've noticed that the way longarms are used tends to be very different when shooting for accuracy or match style compared to the methods used when gunfighting.

Here, an HK trainer shows excellent form in the gunfighting stance.

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/umpshoot.jpg[/img]

Note the following:
1. Forward lean and squarer stance.
2. Shortened stock to allow proper cheek weld and eye relief from the sights.
3. Toe of stock placed higher up and closer to centerline, below dominant eye vs shoulder pocket.
4. Elbows down.
5. Off hand placed further back, around the magwell instead of the handguards.

This is kind of like the mod-iso stance for longarms. It allows fast movement in different directions and most importantly faster target aquisition and gunhandling during the fight.

Having the off hand around the mag well offers the same advantages of using the vertical grip.  It basically put your support arm and hand in a stronger biomechnical position.  It also uses more skeletal rather than muscular support so it cause less fatigue when used for long periods of time.  Using the magwell in this fashion also helps control the muzzle when firing strings of rapid shots or when using full-auto. So in essence a vertical grip is not necessary and a change in stance and grip is all that's needed to get the same effect.

The vertical grip comes more into play depending on how your rifle is configured. As more accessories, optics, etc.,get installed the way you rifle balances and handles change. The vertical grip allows you adjust the feel of your rifle to maintain the advantages of the gunfighting stance described above.

On my rifle that I have the vertical grip placed pretty far back about 3" from the delta ring. This location was the sweet spot for my rifle where the weight/speed/balance was just perfect for me and yet still allows me to maintain a comortable combat stance.

Everybody is built differently and everyones rifle is also configured differently, so much of configuring a AR type carbine or rifle boils down to user preference. You basically just have to try different things and use what works best for you and your setup.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It makes it easier spray firing from the hip .
View Quote

You forgot to mention:

It enables the criminal to shoot up to 10,000 cops per minute, with a spray of poison-tipped bullets
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
When I use the stance pictured above with an AR-15, the dust cover hits the fingernail on my left hand. Doesn't really hurt, but it bothers me. Vertical grip eliminates that problem and is more comfortable to me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#17]
With 20rnd mags it makes a great monopod. Especially when used over the hood of a vehicle or on the edge of a car door. The grip I have has a rubber bumper on the end which works even better for this.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#18]
John Masen Company sells a pretty decent kit for mounting a fairly sturdy plastic grip to your gun;

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1505N&Category_Code=AA

For $20, it's worth a shot; they even include the hex keys for assembly. Not spec ops quality, but if you just wanna try...
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the difference between the AAC accesory and min-accesory rail?  It doesn't seem to explain on their site.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the AAC accesory and min-accesory rail?  It doesn't seem to explain on their site.  Thanks!
View Quote

IIRC, the accessory rail is full length while the mini rail will be just long enough for the vertical grip or one item.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top