Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/8/2003 8:18:59 PM EDT
y'all sick of sling posts yet? well here's another one - sorry.
we've all discussed the pros and cons of single point, 2-pt and 3-pt slings, and everyone has their own fave sling and setup. it seems that there isn't one 'perfect' setup, and i've been experimenting, trying to find something that addresses some of the issues that people (or me) have with each type.
i used a conventional 3-pt sling using the front sling attach point and single point sling attach point at the rear of the receiver as my two points, and also added a piece of shock cord - see pic (username and password are both 'mm' to see pic).
www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/mmsling.jpg
it handles very similar to a single point sling, as the buttstock is free to transition from shoulder to shoulder, but the 3-pt keeps it from becoming a pendulum, and closer to the body when you let go of it.
now, i've used the CQB solutions SOP sling with the transition release buckle (similar to the GRSC sling) and when the buckle is released to create the slack necessary to transition, the sling gets so long that it no longer functions as it did before, and is not quick to return to its original length.
instead of the TRB, i substituted a loop of shock cord, which keeps the sliding buckle near the front attach point during normal carry. for transitioning, it stretches and gives you the additional length necessary to move the butt to the weak shoulder. it then returns to its original length once you transition back, or let it hang - no buckles to unsnap, or resnap.
very simple, and i'm sure some of you might have made something very similar.
just thought i'd share my experiment - not trying to say it's any better than anyone else's. so far, just from playing around with it, it's working better than either a 3-pt or single pt for lil' old me and i'll try using it as my new setup. i'd like to hear feedback from anyone else who tries it - good or bad.  i'll dub this the 'MMSM' (MM shock mod) sling.
cheers and thanks,
MM
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are these the slings you are so enthralled with?

[img]pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/77165/200.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are these the slings you are so enthralled with?
View Quote

that's a 5-pt sling, dude. transitions are a bitch, but it sure looks helluva more interesting than mine! [:D]
cheers!
MM
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Does that 5point come in cammo or just leopard ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does that 5point come in cammo or just leopard ?
View Quote

the leopard does give it a cool, jungle look...
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
took better pics - username and password are both 'mm' to view pics.
[url=http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/mmsling.jpg]clearer pic[/url]
[url=http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/img/mmsmuse.jpg]sling in use[/url]

MM
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top