Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2003 12:02:35 AM EDT
Are there any sites that show the correct ways to use a 3 point tactical sling?  The paper instructions leave a lot to be desired.  I am looking for instructions w/ pictures on all the different ways it can be used.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's good one...

[url]http://www.cqbsolutions.com/carryoptions.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Any other sites?  So the real advantage of a tactical sling is being able to carry it in a patrol position and quickly shoulder mount it by pushing the rifle forward?  That and the quick release when you need to transition to a pistol?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
With a 3 pt. sling, there is basically two ways to wear it.  The first is to have the sling over the off-hand side shoulder and under the strong side shoulder.  This is usually referred to as patrol carry, it will allow you to carry the rifle in front of you in a somewhat more horizontal orientation, which at least for me, makes it more comfortable to carry while walking long distances.  Patrol carry also gives you more flexibility in positioning the rifle on your body by allowing you to carry the rifle in front, to the side, or to the rear.

The other way is to have the sling over your strong side shoulder and underneath the off-side shoulder.  This is referred to as drop carry.  Its advantage is that when the rifle is dropped it will hang in a more vertical orientation, somewhat away from your strong side so that you can switch to your handgun without the sling or rifle getting in the way.

Drop carry will require a smaller sling loop size so generally the sling will have to be adjusted for one type of carry.  However, for me I have my sling setup for patrol carry for warm weather and then switch to drop carry for really cold weather, which allows me to wear more clothing without having to loosen/readjust the sling.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top