Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 12:22:41 PM EDT
Looking for opinions on these two single point slings,is one better than the other?If so why?Brand preference does not matter,just looking for best sling.Also does anyone make a quick detachment sling swivel to attach either of these to a CAR six positioned M4 stocked single point attachment position/plate. Enabling a user to move one sling from one AR to another quickly? Thanks for the replies Jeff
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both and the CQB seems to be a softer and more flexible nylon while the Winderness seems to be stiffer.  Both seem very durable and otherwise very similar.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Single point slings get a lot of wear at the point they loop through the adaptor.  The Giles slings from the Wilderness are by far the most likely to survive long term use.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
CQB Solutions make a great product.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the Daniel Defense Burnsed Loop.No fastex buckles to release unexpectedly and it was only $12.It's about the same width and stiffness of the Wilderness slings though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Single point slings get a lot of wear at the point they loop through the adaptor.
View Quote

i noticed that too with mine (using CQB sol slings). but the material is soft and very comfy and less abrasive on my delicate neck :-P
i made my own little quick-release attachment by using a short piece of webbing, a tri-glide, and male end of a fastex buckle, that goes thru the single point loop on the rifle.  the sling goes thru the female fastex buckle.  i can detach the rifle from my body while leaving the sling there, and just click in again.  the webbing that goes thru the loop on the rifle is double thickness and won't wear thru as quick.  plus it doesn't see the same amount of friction as the original sling did because now, the sling is sliding on the female fastex buckle, not the metal loop on the rifle.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Wilderness sling and it works well, but I find it a bit to clumsy when using for an 8 hour class or a long period of time.  Also, I found that it limited me to carrying the rifle one way.  For example, I can't use American carry or sling the rifle out of the way very easily.  I have since switched a plain jane sling with one modification.  I drilled a hole in the foregrip (on the side towards the rear and screwed in a swivel stud with a nut on the back.  This allows the rifle to sit just like the Wilderness holds the rifle without being so busy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My Giles/GG&G/Vltor stock combo is currently set up like this to give me stability when needed.  I can choose when to lock down the Knights QD swivel and make it a two-point instead of a single point.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=258&iImageUnq=13764[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Wilderness sling and it works well, but I find it a bit to clumsy when using for an 8 hour class or a long period of time.

View Quote
Also, I found that it limited me to carrying the rifle one way.  For example, I can't use American carry
View Quote

Sure you can.  No problem - at the PFDC class we had people with the Giles sling and had no problems.  I used the Tactical Taylor sling (similar design) and also had no problems with American or African carry.

or sling the rifle out of the way very easily.
View Quote

What method is easier than just 'dropping' the rifle? I found the simple 'carry strap' such a pain after the first day of class I switched to my Tactical Tayor (Giles clone) for the rest of the class and found it MUCH easier to use.  It was nice when taping up the targets to have use of both hands for example.

To those looking for a 'softer' material.  I say try out that 'soft' sling for a day's worth of carry & use (non stop) before declaring it 'comfy'.  My carry strap was a nice soft nylon - It was comfy for all of 15 minutes - after which the soft material started to bend in the middle - after an hour it felt like a rope and was very uncomfortable.  The stiff nylon used on the Tactical Taylor kept its flat profile was ended up being far more comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
When I mean getting the rifle out of the way, I mean just that.  A rifle laying across your chest is in the way in my book.  My setup allows the rifle to fall just like the Giles types, I just don't have as many straps to deal with.  We all have different experiences with gear.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a Z-M bungee (single point)sling attached to a DPMS adapter on my Bushmaster & I find it very comfortable. And the quick release buckle is very fast & easy to use. Very simple and uncomplicated setp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the Daniels Defense sling.  Very stiff.  works well.  I had another made by a board member out of soft tubular nylon and soft doesn't bear the load as well.  

With a single point you have to think ahead.  Looped around head and strong side it will drop out of the way easily ... out of the way of everything but a stong side pistol you may be attempting to transition to.  So either move the pistol, don't drop-sweep it around back, or draw the pistol with your strong side before releasing the rifle with your support hand.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use the Daniels Defense sling.  Very siff.  works well.  I had another made by a board member out of soft tubular nylon and soft doesn't bear the load as well.  

With a single point you have to think ahead.  Looped around head and strong side it will drop out of the way easily ... out of the way of everythinh but a stong side pistol you may be attempting to transition to.  So either maove the pistol, don't dro-sweep it around back, or draw the pistol with your strong side before releasing the rifle with your support hand.  

View Quote

I have my daniel defense sling over my head and weak side shoulder.This way I just drop the rifle if there is a malfunction and my handgun is completely cleared for drawing.It's also out of the way for using both hands for something else yet is out of the way of my pistol.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Head and weak side is extremely fast, and great if you are actively engaged in shooting.  But I find it very cumbersome when not actively engaged.  Like IdahOBound said, I don't consider that out of the way.  It presents a different set of issues that, like those presented the other way, need to be thought through.  If I knew ahead of time that I was definitely about to get into a shoot 'em up, I may switch over.  But you don't always know.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With a single point you have to think ahead.  Looped around head and strong side it will drop out of the way easily ... out of the way of everything but a stong side pistol you may be attempting to transition to.  So either move the pistol, don't drop-sweep it around back, or draw the pistol with your strong side before releasing the rifle with your support hand.  

View Quote

Unless you are like me, right handed but left-eye dominant.  Then it works out perfect.  Right hand releases from rifle handguard to go get the pistol, left hand is controlling the fall of the rifle, right hand grips pistol, right hand draws, left and right hands meet together in the middle, BANG!BANG!BANG!!!!!.

I can shoot a rifle from both sides but I need to work on the speed of the right shouldered shooting, accuracy is fine, probably %85 percent or better compared to the strong left side.  I haven't done much handgun shooting with the left hand.  It is weird, right trigger finger is good on both rifle and pistol, but the left trigger finger can only do a rifle.

Just had to add in there that it does work for some people.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Head and weak side is extremely fast, and great if you are actively engaged in shooting.  But I find it very cumbersome when not actively engaged.  Like IdahOBound said, I don't consider that out of the way.  It presents a different set of issues that, like those presented the other way, need to be thought through.  If I knew ahead of time that I was definitely about to get into a shoot 'em up, I may switch over.  But you don't always know.  
View Quote

Just sweep the rifle around to your weak side if you don't want it hanging on the centerline of your chest.  Now it is out of the way and allows walking, target pasting, etc.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top