Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2003 9:18:42 AM EDT
I CANNOT FIGURE OUT IN WHAT CONFIGURATION AND WHAT KIND OF SLINGS THE SPECIAL FORCES USE.  I WOULD ASSUME THEY USE A TWO POINT SLING, NO QD SWIVELS, TAPED FOR SILENCE.

I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND A TWO POINT SLING TO REPLACE MY CQB SOLUTIONS SPECIAL OPS PATROL SLING IN OD GREEN THAT I LIKE WELL ENOUGH.

I NEVER SEE ANY THREE POINT SLINGS ON OPERATORS, BUT SOME HOW THEY CONFIGURE THEIR SLINGS TO KEEP THE RIFLE AT THE READY SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE THREE POINT SLING DESIGN.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no "official" sling. It varies from unit to unit or even from person to person. Lots of noise to get Wilderness or CQBS slings to the regular grunts, but the SF use what they will.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The 75th Ranger Regiment uses a wide variety of slings largely based on shooter preference. I use an Eagle Industries 3 pt. from www.lightfighter.com. There are also Tactical Tailor slings and self-rigged 2 pt. or bungee slings made from one inch tubular nylon & 3/8 inch bungee. There's pretty much everything imaginable, including some QD swivels. We do tape all hardware. This is done to insure that nothing comes loose or unsnapped, etc. not to quieten anything. The sound of a dozen helicopters usually lets people know you're coming anyway.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
First Force Recon is using the Wilderness Singlepoint sling.

[url]www.thewilderness.com/Pages/slings_sp.html#Anchor-THE-49575[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that I want to go with a shock cord sling setup but I don't know where to begin.  Does anyone have any advice on how to set this up.  I would like it to stick close to the body, and then stretch out for shooting.  I have looked for OD Green shock cord, but all I can find is black.  I guess you would just loop it through AR sling attatchments and then tie off or tape off using 100 mph tape.  

If anyone has pix of a set up like this then lay'em on me please.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Taken from the Marine's After Action Report from Iraq:

[url]http://www.sftt.org/PDF/article05122003a.pdf[/url]

[b]Three-Point Slings ~ Marine unit funds and individual funds were used to purchase three-point slings for M16A2 service rifles. These were used or “fabricated” by numerous Marines and received much praise. Marines requested that each of these be issued with each M16A2. An example of one such sling is the “Giles Tactical Carbine Sling” made by “The Wilderness Tactical Products” (www.thewilderness.com). [/b]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
We (Special Forces) have used a variety of slings over the years however the current favorite is the Viking Tactics sling available from Blackhawk. This is a 2 point sling that allows the used to adjust length with one hand. this in turn provides an immense amount of flexibility to the use of the sling meaning that it can be lenghtened to allow weak hand shooting, shortened to control movement during climbing and roping. It is a 1" wide sling which we ling but I hear they are making a wider one (1.5" I think) for those who don't like the narrow one. Is short the VT sling is as simple to use as it is versatile.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The Viking Tactics sling is also available from

[url=]www.VikingTactics.com[/url] =

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#8]
My personal favorite is still a standard M60 sling.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
My guys wanted to research 3 point slings when we were sctivated this spring. After getting several samples, it was decided to leave it as an individual soldier choice rather than make a group purchase; I went with a Snap Sling, myself...
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
What is a snap sling?  Do you have any pictures of this set up?  
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.grsc.com/snapsling.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Several of the Marine MEU's involved in the recent conflict in SW Asia used the CQB Solutions  3 point sling with the Emergency Release Buckle.  These purchases were made in the 50 - 100 lot, so I assume that a a particular platoon / company decided to go with that product and it was not a MEU decision.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
As previously stated, operators at that level typically have a bit of leeway when it comes to personal gear selection.  Different setups work differently for each individual operator.  Try to get as much experience with each sling as you can, (easier said than done!)and go with what feels best while still being able to meet your mission requirements.  I'll cast my vote for the Duane Dieter Single Point CQB sling. YMMV.  Train with whatever you choose.  Good luck.
Mike  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top