Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 1:26:41 PM EDT
What grips do you have on your ARs now and which are you buying soon? What do you like and not like about each one? I seriously hate the stock AR grip and I planning to get one soon, and was hoping for recommendations

I really like the looks of the Ergo Grip from Olympic, but I haven't actually gotten to put my hands on one yet. I really like the finger grooves and the thumb shelf, as well as the textured surface. My father-in-law has a Contender with what is essentially the wooden equivalent of that grip design, and that's a seriously sweet grip. I've heard many good reports about this grip, too. The MSRP on this grip is $25 or so. Here's a picture of it:

http://www.olyarms.com/images/f3e.jpg

I've also heard a lot of good reports on the Hogue grip. It's got the textured surface and finger grooves, but not thumb shelf. The MSRP on this one is $21.95. Here's a picture:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/prodimg/15000L.jpg

In this forum, I saw the Battlegrip mentioned. I haven't heard of it outside of this forum, but it looks like a nice grip. It's got the little duck bill that I wish the others had, but it doesn't have finger grooves or the thumb shelf, or even any texture on the surface where I usually hold my thumb when shooting. The price mentioned on these was $31, if I remember correctly. Here's one of the pictures posted of them:

http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/TD/Picture%20007.jpg

So.. what would you recommend? What do you have and what's good and bad about it?

Thanks for any info or suggestions you may have.

- Jason
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
let's see, i've owned the:

A1 grip - liked it better than the A2 grip as the finger rest always ended up under my fingers instead of between them

A2 grip - see A1 grip

Duckbill - hated it. the bill wasn't undercut enough.

Lone star ordnance stowaway grip - POS - didn't even install it on my rifle.

I've handled the ergogrip and hogue grip enough to decide they weren't for me.  i didn't like the feel of the ergogrip.  i'm a lefty and would need the ambi ergogrip.  i liked the feel of the overmolded hogue, but my hands did not fit the finger grooves.  it's all personal preference as people with different sized hands will have differing opinions.

i switched to the tangodown battlegrip on all my rifles and have recently changed to the newer versions with texture.  it's my personal fave so far.  i like the looks, feel and quality.
another thing - it adds UTILTY - it stores batteries for my light/optics; something else the others don't do.

cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have four Ergo's (all ambi's) mounted on three rigs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned MANY grips over the years, but I really like the Samco G27.  It offers great ergonomics and has watertight storage.  The Hogue and ERGO Grip just felt too skinny and lacked deep fingergrooves.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 Ergos and one SPR. If you have big hands go with the SPR (Sierra Precision Rifles). Brownells sells them. Don't forget gappers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want Ergo grips get them from the manufacturer. [url]cavalryarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
SPR

[img]http://www.fulton-armory.com/spr-handgrip-100_50.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Duckbill.

Battlegrip's nice, but my only (small) gripe is that it can only hold 2 Li batteries, & I'd need 3 to feed to my Surefire. Newer [i]stocks[/i] (Vltor, soon MSS93) can hold at least 3. As far as my sight goes, Aimpoint makes an extended battery cap option to hold a spare in a 2-sided carrier, so all you need to do is open it, turn it around, & re-insert it, fresh battery first.

That said, if my light was a 2-battery affair, I have a Battlegrip, fer sher.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#8]
For a precision gun, the SPR is a fine grip, but if you are looking for the best available grip for a fast action AR, the Battle grip by Tango down is your ticket.  In a fast action grip, you don't need thumb rest or finger groove, it will just get in the way of manuvering you weapon to suit the CQB enviroment.  the texture on the new battlegrip is a great addition.

I had Ergo ambi, Buck bill, Hogue and they are all fine grip, Duck bill being my favorite, and Ergo is my second choice and the top choice on my SPR rifle. except keeping the Ergo on my SPR, I switched all my grips to Battlegrip.  I just like the battle grip that much better.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Hogue.  I tried the TD Battlegrip V 1.0, and it didn't seem comfortable to me (I have long fingers, so it seemed my trigger finger was in the wrong place).

I agree with everyone on the SPR grip.  I purchased mine for a target AR, and is very comfortable.  The only thing I don't like about it is how the backstrap does flow like the Ergo grip does.  But that's just me.

Try several out, and pick the one you like.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
After many grip purchases, I now have Battlegrips on all my rifles. Handsdown the best for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My new AR15 will be for coyote hunting and general target shooting at the range, not any serioius CQB stuff. I want a comfortable grip that is easy to hold the same every time to improve accuracy. Based on that criteria and usage plan, which grip would you recommend? I'm right handed, too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]My new AR15 will be for coyote hunting ... not any serioius CQB stuff.[/b]

What if the coyotes get in close? [;)]

Anyway,
I like the Battlegip #1, closely followed by Ergo grip.  Houge a distant third.  

Ergo comes in two flavors, rubbery and hard.  I have the hard version from Cav Arms.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]

I currently have an older Ergo Grip but I'm seriously looking at the new textured Battlegrip.  A big selling pioint for me is the water tight battery compartment.  I just recently got an EOTech 552 and having an extra set of batteries that are easily accessible is big plus in my book!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered a G-27 grip along with a RRA riser mount tonight. I'm picking up my AR tomorrow and am going to look at some grips there. I might pick up one of those to try, too.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top