Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 8:47:39 PM EDT
Hi everyone!
Just got cleared for Santa to bring me a Sure fire M900A and a Knights RAS II for my PB Bushy M4  !!
Well, With the Surefire on it's way I need your help!
Who's got it? Who has the deal?

Thanks !!
Happy Holidays-

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Wes Grant at MSTN
[email protected]

Cheers,
Keld Knudsen
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Any deal you find right now will be the best deal, because to my knowledge, they are all sold out and none of the dealers are able to get anymore at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, scratch that last post... MSTN just posted that they have them back in stock, but expect to sell out soon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
[BROWN] DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO WITH THE S.I.R.ITS QUALITY IS MATCHED BY NO ONE.THE RAS II IS A QUALITY CRAFTED PIECE ,BUT IT DOES'NT HAVE THE ADVANTAGES THE S.I.R. DOES.IF YOU OWN BOTH AS I DO, YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT I MEAN.    SOLDIER1[BROWN]   [RED]DELTA[/RED]              [SNIPER]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK, scratch that last post... MSTN just posted that they have them back in stock, but expect to sell out soon.
View Quote

Well somebody must have the other 2/3 of the production run...Of course, I already got mine from MSTN.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO WITH THE S.I.R.ITS QUALITY IS MATCHED BY NO ONE.THE RAS II IS A QUALITY CRAFTED PIECE ,BUT IT DOES'NT HAVE THE ADVANTAGES THE S.I.R. DOES.IF YOU OWN BOTH AS I DO, YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT I MEAN. SOLDIER1
View Quote

Soldier, could you be a little more specific?  What advantages are you talking about?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
do they make the SIR for non-flat top AR's
that still have the carry handle ?

Parish....

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn -
Too many choices- Decisions-
I was gonna be all happy with the RAS but-
Gotta do more research-
Happy Holidays!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Neither the SIR or the RAS II will fit on fixed carry handle uppers. Flat tops are required. Soldier, I have both as well, although I dont yet have possession of the RAS II! Should be delivered this week.

I have been following the RAS II since Dave Lutz of Knights gave us all a sneak peak many months before its release. In fact I was the person who posted the first pics any of us saw iof the first prototype. Based on my experience with the SIR and my knowledge of the RAS II, I am confident my prefference between the two will remain with the SIR.

However, thats just me and I do think the RAS II has some advantages over the SIR. Both are top quality systems, both are very similar in their design. But there are small but noticable differences in them. Some folks may appreciate the advantages the RAS II offer, some may like the advantages of the SIR.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go on the SIR/RAS II myself. From what I've read, I like the SIR better. Unfortunately, I'm leaning more towards the EOtech sight, right now. I read a post about EOtech maybe trying to get something going for the SIR. Surely they'll do something since the SIR is so popular. Right now my choice looks like RAS II/EOtech or SIR/Aimpoint. Any advice?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Precisely my point SIR and EoTech does not allow for co-witnessing. This in itself is not a crime persay, but co-wintessing the irons is a nice advantage. Forward mount the EoTech to the RAS II's handguards and you have a perfect co-witness.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Would you go with the RAS II/EOtech 552 combo or the SIR/Aimpoint Comp M2 combo, and why?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, personally, if I had to do only one, it would be the SIR and Aimpoint. But thats just me. Here's why;

First, I like the Aimpoint much better than any EoTech. I have always found the Eotech reiticle to be somewhat grainy. Battery life on the EoTech is also pittiful when compared to the Aimpoint. I do not like the button controls of the EoTech when compared to the simple knob of the Aimpoint. I think the aimpoint is just a simpler and more robust optic. I think it is built tougher and more durable. Having said that, I know too many good people who love their EoTech's and I know they are a fine sight. In addition, EoTech should be releasing a new series sight soon that addresses the few complaints there have been. I look forward to seeing it.

Also, please understand I do not actually have my RAS II yet. I just tracked it via FedEx and it will be delivered to me this week. However, like I said, I have been following it since any of us first heard about it many months ago. Based on what I have actually seen and done with the SIR and what I know about the RAS II, I believe I will still preffer the SIR over the RAS II. Here's why.

I like the fact that the SIR has removable rails. Rails are good thing to have on your handguards. But unwanted rails are uncomfortable to hold on to and they can heat up very quickly. The RAS II's answer to this is to cover the rails with pannels. Pannels are ok, and they do sheild your hand from the edges of the rails and the heat they will acquire. But the pannels are directly attatched to these aluminum rails and even they will heat up eventually. The SIRs answer to unwanted rails is to allow you to take them off completely. I like that. You dont have to worry about having or losing pannels, or having the pannels heat up. You dont need the rail on that part of the gun, take it off.

I also like that the lower half of the SIR is synthetic, not aluminum. I am telling you, the lower portion of the SIR simply does not heat up. Period. In some testing I did, I ripped 5 mags through the SIR on full auto as fast as I could load the mags. It got warm, but no where near to hot to hold. I did the same thing to an Oly FIRSH which is another aluminum rail handguard, and it became too hot to handle. If all goes well, I will be doing the same test to the RAS II I have coming on Sunday. We used a digital thermometer in these tests and will have precise figures to show people just how hot they got.

In the end, I can hear someone saying that the synthetic lower of the SIR is weak and they would rather have an all aluminum handguard. I disagree, but not so strongly I dont want an RAS II myself! I can also hear people saying they would rather lose the removable pannel of the RAS II than the aluminum rail of the SIR. Again, I can see the point, but the off chance that I lose the actual rail does not outweigh the advantage of not needing pannels to begin with that I get every time I shoot the gun. Others might disagee and I dont feel strongly enough about it to make an argument.

In the end, either would be a great set up. Thats why I am getting both! But my favorite AR, the one that gets all the trigger time and attention has all my favorite gear on it. Needless to say, it has an SIR.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent response new-arguy.  I too await my RAS II for comparitive testing.  Each system has its advantages and disadvantages.  Size, weight, heat, construction, stability, optic mounting, and of course prices all play a part.  If possible, best to get a look at each system (range, shop, or buddy) and hold it.  Also decide what optics/accessories you will want to mount.

So many choices, options, and prices.  Ain't it GREAT!?!?!  [bounce]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Got the RAS II via FedEx today. Much quicker than I expected. Got it on after a little work, I'll post a more detailed report later. Nice system. Very nice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got the RAS II via FedEx today. Much quicker than I expected. Got it on after a little work, I'll post a more detailed report later. Nice system. Very nice.
View Quote

Can't wait to see it-
Give us a full report-
We are living vicariously through ya!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top