Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2021 9:44:52 AM EDT
Finally decided to break down and get an Aimpoint Pro.  I'm old fashioned and have always just used iron sights but it's time.  What would you suggest for mounting?  I'm not planning on swapping a bunch if ever.  Saw several options but no clue......thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
LaRue LT150. I personally like the factory mounts, but if you want something different the LaRue is a good way to go.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LaRue LT150. I personally like the factory mounts, but if you want something different the LaRue is a good way to go.
View Quote

That's where I was looking.  Not sure of the difference between Lever and VFZ though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Found it, thanks!@
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
An ADM mount is plenty accurate with its return to zero for a red dot. You would not notice any POI difference taking it on & off. No need to over pay for a QD red dot mount, but I wouldn't buy cheap crap. I go with Bobro mounts when I feel like spending more. The auto adjust to any rail with no tools or manual adjustment. If you're not into that, ADM all the way. Everyone says "LaRue LaRue", but they require adjustment AND a tool. What's the point UNLESS you intend to KEEP it on the same rail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An ADM mount is plenty accurate with its return to zero for a red dot. You would not notice any POI difference taking it on & off. No need to over pay for a QD red dot mount, but I wouldn't buy cheap crap. I go with Bobro mounts when I feel like spending more. The auto adjust to any rail with no tools or manual adjustment. If you're not into that, ADM all the way. Everyone says "LaRue LaRue", but they require adjustment AND a tool. What's the point UNLESS you intend to KEEP it on the same rail.
View Quote

ADM has terrible POI shift for a qd mount. You have to adjust an ADM mount as well but in a worse method than just tightening a nut with a wrench and being done.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried a few different mounts for my CompM3 and ended going with a QRP2 mount with the shim installed
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ADM has terrible POI shift for a qd mount. You have to adjust an ADM mount as well but in a worse method than just tightening a nut with a wrench and being done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Got any links to back up that claim? Otherwise it's a baseless claim and we can disregard it.

I previously said,
An ADM mount is plenty accurate with its return to zero for a red dot. You would not notice any POI difference taking it on & off
Plenty of videos, tests and literature documenting this. NO I would not use an ADM on a precision optic because POI shift, while not drastic, it is present. Fine for a red dot.

Everyone knows ADM mounts can be adjusted with no tools. It sounds as though you are trying to spin this to make it sound as though requiring a wrench is 'better' because you said the "method" of adjusting an ADM mount is "worse". How so? Please elaborate. I've never had any issues adjusting an ADM mount on my red dots with no tools. Some claim that it would be ideal if the bolt had less coarse threads, but still no issues what so ever.

The point of a QD mount is obviously for being able to remove and reinstall it on the same rail, BUT ALSO to be able to install it on another rail AND reinstall it it on the original rail (keeping track of optic adjustments). When you HAVE to use a wrench to manually tighten a mount to a rail ... you're missing the point of a repeatable QD mount. Bobro requires ZERO adjustment and NO tool. ADM only requires you turn the nut BY HAND and zero tool. That makes Bobro mounts the ideal QD mount. Now LaRue came out the the C.A.N. mount for this very reason ... no tool, just turn the nut by hand. Now they just need to make that an option for all of their mounts IF it is reliable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got any links to back up that claim? Otherwise it's a baseless claim and we can disregard it.

I previously said,  Plenty of videos, tests and literature documenting this. NO I would not use an ADM on a precision optic because POI shift, while not drastic, is present. Fine for a red dot.

Everyone knows ADM mounts can be adjusted with no tools. It sounds as though you are trying to spin this to make it sound as though requiring a wrench is 'better' because you said the "method" of adjusting an ADM mount is "worse". How so? Please elaborate. I've never had any issues adjusting an ADM mount on my red dots with no tools. Some claim that it would be ideal if the bolt had less coarse threads, but still no issues what so ever.

The point of a QD mount is obviously for being able to remove and reinstall it on the same rail, BUT ALSO to be able to install it on another rail AND reinstall it it on the original rail (keeping track of optic adjustments). When you HAVE to use a wrench to manually tighten a mount to a rail ... you're missing the point of a repeatable QD mount. Bobro requires ZERO adjustment and NO tool. ADM only requires you turn the nut BY HAND and zero tool. That makes Bobro mounts the ideal QD mount. Now LaRue came out the the C.A.N. mount for this very reason ... no tool, just turn the nut by hand. Now they just need to make that an option for all of their mounts IF it is reliable.
View Quote

https://www.recoilweb.com/guide-to-quick-detach-scope-mounts-57239.html

If you’re moving optics to completely different firearms you obviously are in a very controlled environment like a range where you have the ability to re-zero. There’d be no excuse for not having tools.

The ADM has a finite amount of adjustability. You have only 6 choices for an entire revolution of the nut. Optimal tightness is never there in my experience. Also, the adjustment can only happen with the mount unlocked. It’s just a guessing game of unlocking, spinning, and locking instead of just setting it and being done.

No one said anything about Bobro. Good mounts aside from the bulk. I stick to Scalarworks for my dedicated optic qd mounts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]
No one is going to use a Bobro mounted red dot on different guns. If they can afford Bobro they can afford separate optics.

I really like the finger adjustable Larue mounts, but a Larue wrench is always in my range bag.

Larue is a better mount than ADM. There is no question to those who owned and used both. I have had to repair other officer's ADM QD spring in QD lever. Larue has no spring.

I have at least ten Larue QD/mounts. Next on the list for repeated purchase for high quality but value are Seekins matched 7075 aluminum scope rings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you’re moving optics to completely different firearms you obviously are in a very controlled environment like a range where you have the ability to re-zero. There’d be no excuse for not having tools.

The ADM has a finite amount of adjustability. You have only 6 choices for an entire revolution of the nut. Optimal tightness is never there in my experience. Also, the adjustment can only happen with the mount unlocked. It’s just a guessing game of unlocking, spinning, and locking instead of just setting it and being done.

No one said anything about Bobro. Good mounts aside from the bulk. I stick to Scalarworks for my dedicated optic qd mounts.
View Quote

Bobro mounts are just as wide as LaRue. Actually it appears LaRue is just a tad wider. What "bulk" are you referring to? Pic doesn't work.

OP asked for mount recommendation. Listing OPTIONS is the very point of this thread which makes it more than reasonable to point out the fact that Bobro mounts are ideal. They auto-adjust to any rail with no tool what so ever.

Anecdotal evidence does not explain why the vast majority of ADM mount owners/users do not complain that their mounts are loose. ADM is still in business and doing quite well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No one is going to use a Bobro mounted red dot on different guns. If they can afford Bobro they can afford separate optics.

I really like the finger adjustable Larue mounts, but a Larue wrench is always in my range bag.

Larue is a better mount than ADM. There is no question to those who owned and used both. I have had to repair other officer's ADM QD spring in QD lever. Larue has no spring.

I have at least ten Larue QD/mounts. Next on the list for repeated purchase for high quality but value are Seekins matched 7075 aluminum scope rings.
View Quote

Incorrect. On SWFA the Bobro mount is listed for $136.95. The ADM is listed for $143.99. LaRue is listed for $178.00.

Bobro mounts are ideal. They auto-adjust to any rail, cost less and require zero tools.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bobro mounts are just as wide as LaRue. Actually it appears LaRue is just a tad wider. What "bulk" are you referring to? Pic doesn't work.
https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/topview-1.jpg]https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/topview-1.jpg

OP asked for mount recommendation. Listing OPTIONS is the very point of this thread which makes it more than reasonable to point out the fact that Bobro mounts are ideal. They auto-adjust to any rail with no tool what so ever.

Anecdotal evidence does not explain why the vast majority of ADM mount owners/users do not complain that their mounts are loose. ADM is still in business and doing quite well.
View Quote

Bobro mounts are heavier than all other options aside from the factory mount. There’s always trade offs.

The ideal mount is going to be Scalarworks. It’s lighter, stronger (7075 vs 6061) and it doesn’t have a large latch sticking off the side of it.

ADM’s design is inferior to all others listed so far. McDonald’s is still in business and is doing quite well. Doesn’t mean they make the best hamburgers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not according to published comparison tests.  ADM was well under .2 MOA.   Larue was a little better.  Actually both were well under .2 MOA! You need to be using a precision rifle with sub MOA under benchrest conditions to tease out any difference in POI shift between the two.  I have both Larue and ADM mounts.  My experience is the same.  I prefer Larue for two lever mounts of heavier optics and ADM for most red dots using a single lever.

With dots in particular the size of the dot is larger than the POI shift, rendering replication of actual POI shift differences essentially impossible.

For those who don't want to read the entire article and test protocol here are the results expressed in MOA shift:

ADM 0.135
Alamo 0.027
Bobro 0.016
Burris 0.223
GDI 0.045
GG&G 0.043
LaRue 0.076
PRI 0.049

So ADM had a whopping 0.135 MOA shift!  Can anyone here seriously shoot that well with a red dot?  Or with a scope, for that matter, under any real world conditions?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had great performance from the ADM mount with an Aimpoint PRO. It looks great too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not according to published comparison tests.  ADM was well under .2 MOA.   Larue was a little better.  Actually both were well under .2 MOA! You need to be using a precision rifle with sub MOA under benchrest conditions to tease out any difference in POI shift between the two.  I have both Larue and ADM mounts.  My experience is the same.  I prefer Larue for two lever mounts of heavier optics and ADM for most red dots using a single lever.

With dots in particular the size of the dot is larger than the POI shift, rendering replication of actual POI shift differences essentially impossible.

For those who don't want to read the entire article and test protocol here are the results expressed in MOA shift:

ADM 0.135
Alamo 0.027
Bobro 0.016
Burris 0.223
GDI 0.045
GG&G 0.043
LaRue 0.076
PRI 0.049

So ADM had a whopping 0.135 MOA shift!  Can anyone here seriously shoot that well with a red dot?  Or with a scope, for that matter, under any real world conditions?

View Quote

I already linked that article. I thought the shift was higher when I originally commented. My argument still stands though. Even if there isn’t a noticeable difference it is still an outlier.

I think the ADM is a flawed design in comparison to the others we’ve listed: Bobro, LaRue, Scalarworks, GG&G, GDI, etc.

If you like it, that’s great, I don’t think it’s a bad purchase. I’ve slowly gotten rid of the ones I had and transitioned to either Badger for magnified optics or Scalarworks for Aimpoint micros.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Use the mount that comes with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Aimpoint PRO factory mount.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top