Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2021 1:59:48 PM EDT
I am in the market for a couple of red dots. I am looking to add two to two of my AR's and one to my x95. I'm looking for something that wont break the bank right now. I may get an MRO or a Holosun 512c for my x95 at some point.

What is the difference between the dots listed below?

Vortex Sparc.

Vortex Sparc II.  

Vortex Crossfire II

And are those optics listed above about the same as the optics listed below?

Holosun HS403B.

Sig Romeo 5.

I'm looking for something that will take a beating and keep on ticking. I want long battery life too. I watched a video on the Romeo 5 where someone shot it with a shotgun. It took the blast and kept going. That was impressive. I know the HS403B is the same optic as the Romeo. I like Vortex warranty. Its impressive that a company gives that. I just don't know much about their red dots.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of SPARC 2s, they do the job well and hold zero.

The SPARC AR is worth looking at because of the battery required and it’s position.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple of SPARC 2s, they do the job well and hold zero.

The SPARC AR is worth looking at because of the battery required and it’s position.
View Quote

Little hard to turn on compared to shake awake Holosun but turn it on and it shuts off after 12 hours.  
Easier to replace cells.  Nimh safest chemistry out there. If things need that much speed get exact co-witness set up and just center the front sight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Crossfire is a rotary always on micro with 2 mounts.
Sparc AR is meant for ARs and has auto off
Strike fire is a 30mm red dot that can use rigbs to mount it.

I believe Gen 2 of all of these has 50k+ hours Battery Life.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Crossfire is a rotary always on micro with 2 mounts.
Sparc AR is meant for ARs and has auto off
Strike fire is a 30mm red dot that can use rigbs to mount it.

I believe Gen 2 of all of these has 50k+ hours Battery Life.
View Quote

Thanks. I believe they are 50k hours. They just released a version of the Sparc that is solar powered that has a 150k hour battery life.

I’m wondering if I should go Vortex or Sig Romeo5 or Holosun 403B. I think it’s a toss up right now. The only big difference I think too is the warranty that Vortex gives. That’s huge.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a Sparc AR II in today and it seems nice. Haven't got a chance to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just got a Sparc AR II in today and it seems nice. Haven't got a chance to shoot with it.
View Quote

Does it have a shake awake feature?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the SPARC 2 and love it. Going to get the new solar SPARC when it's out. Great warranty with Vortex and I've never had an issue with 3 scopes and 2 red dots from them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In reference to your first question, none of our red dots are the same optics as the others you mentioned.

The "SPARC" without any other designation is quite old and outdated. At this point in time, most all of them are off the market and have at least been replaced with "SPARC II's" at this point, which were a long standing micro red dot for us that performed quite well. It was also very durable, as noted here in this Recoil article - The Dot That Would Not Die

The SPARC AR, which might have been what you were referring to there, is a much more streamlined version specific to AR's or other carbines. Everything control-wise is in the integral base, so nothing sticks off the side or top of the sight. Functionally, it is nearly identical to the SPARC II, though, other than running on a AAA battery rather than a CR2032 and also having much better battery life at 50k hours

Crossfire (We don't designate the red dot as a "Crossfire II" FWIW) - Again, functionally the same as the SPARC AR and SPARC II internally (Not identical, but for all intents and purposes) but has a rotary dial switch on the side for changing illumination intensity which houses its CR2032 battery. Also gets 50k hour battery life. The base on the Crossfire is also removable if you want to run it on something other than an AR.

There is a new optic in our lineup as of just a week or two ago called the "SPARC Solar" which is very much a different optic all around. Internals have been upgraded to offer up a wider FOV through the optic and a really nice image (Parallax free, flat image, minimal tint, etc) and as the name implies, it has a solar panel on the top which actually runs the sight off ambient light to dramatically improve battery life. When there isn't enough ambient light to power the sight, it uses the CR-2032 battery on board. Illumination controls are done via side digital buttons and the turrets are a new design that are completely flush to the body and entirely snag free. It also has a removable base to mount on basically any platform.

There may be other reviews on each one of these listed above to prove durability (Likely not yet on the SPARC Solar) but the thing is - that SPARC II which underwent the beating in the recoil magazine was an older red dot all around with not nearly as many nice new updates as the others have gotten since then that actually would improve durability even still quite a bit more. None of these optics should have any issue getting beat on even a great deal.

Hope this helps.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in the market for a couple of red dots. I am looking to add two to two of my AR's and one to my x95. I'm looking for something that wont break the bank right now. I may get an MRO or a Holosun 512c for my x95 at some point.

What is the difference between the dots listed below?

Vortex Sparc.

Vortex Sparc II.  

Vortex Crossfire II

And are those optics listed above about the same as the optics listed below?

Holosun HS403B.

Sig Romeo 5.

I'm looking for something that will take a beating and keep on ticking. I want long battery life too. I watched a video on the Romeo 5 where someone shot it with a shotgun. It took the blast and kept going. That was impressive. I know the HS403B is the same optic as the Romeo. I like Vortex warranty. Its impressive that a company gives that. I just don't know much about their red dots.
In reference to your first question, none of our red dots are the same optics as the others you mentioned.

The "SPARC" without any other designation is quite old and outdated. At this point in time, most all of them are off the market and have at least been replaced with "SPARC II's" at this point, which were a long standing micro red dot for us that performed quite well. It was also very durable, as noted here in this Recoil article - The Dot That Would Not Die

The SPARC AR, which might have been what you were referring to there, is a much more streamlined version specific to AR's or other carbines. Everything control-wise is in the integral base, so nothing sticks off the side or top of the sight. Functionally, it is nearly identical to the SPARC II, though, other than running on a AAA battery rather than a CR2032 and also having much better battery life at 50k hours

Crossfire (We don't designate the red dot as a "Crossfire II" FWIW) - Again, functionally the same as the SPARC AR and SPARC II internally (Not identical, but for all intents and purposes) but has a rotary dial switch on the side for changing illumination intensity which houses its CR2032 battery. Also gets 50k hour battery life. The base on the Crossfire is also removable if you want to run it on something other than an AR.

There is a new optic in our lineup as of just a week or two ago called the "SPARC Solar" which is very much a different optic all around. Internals have been upgraded to offer up a wider FOV through the optic and a really nice image (Parallax free, flat image, minimal tint, etc) and as the name implies, it has a solar panel on the top which actually runs the sight off ambient light to dramatically improve battery life. When there isn't enough ambient light to power the sight, it uses the CR-2032 battery on board. Illumination controls are done via side digital buttons and the turrets are a new design that are completely flush to the body and entirely snag free. It also has a removable base to mount on basically any platform.

There may be other reviews on each one of these listed above to prove durability (Likely not yet on the SPARC Solar) but the thing is - that SPARC II which underwent the beating in the recoil magazine was an older red dot all around with not nearly as many nice new updates as the others have gotten since then that actually would improve durability even still quite a bit more. None of these optics should have any issue getting beat on even a great deal.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying. Its rare that we get the company itself replying to us. Another reason I will be looking at one of these optics to buy. The Sparc AR, if I decide to put one of them on my x95, will they co-witness with my sights?

Mrgunsngear just did a review on the Sparc Solar. Really good information. I can't wait for the testing review of that one. Really great channel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]
It doesn't shake awake.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
spitfire.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The SPARC Solar has an optional motion activation feature if that is what you wish
View Quote

OHHHHH neat! Is it possible to drive over to your place and look at the dot? I can use some red dots, others look like a smear.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the Crossfire II with Larue mount. Really happy with it. Night vision compatible, 50,000 hours battery life. At 50,000 hours that's aimpoint battery life at 5 years left on, no need for shack and wake as its another thing to go wrong. The warranty is a bonus. I sport it on my 300blk sbr.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top