Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2020 10:23:15 PM EDT
https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-etr-1-10x28-atmr3-ffp-ir-mil-uhd/

34mm, 19.2oz, FFP mil and BDC, 3.7" eye relief, FOV @100 yards 117.3-11.7 ft.

MSRP $1140 which is a MIL/LE price of $684.  Pretty expensive for a Chinese scope.  However the Ares ETR is an outstanding scope, if this little 1-10 performs as it's bigger brother Ares it may rival the LOW clones currently being pumped out.  Dare say... a budget Razor 1-10?

Thoughts, opinions?
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

MSRP $1140 which is a MIL/LE price of $684.  Pretty expensive for a Chinese scope.  However the Ares ETR is an outstanding scope, if this little 1-10 performs as it's bigger brother Ares it may rival the LOW clones currently being pumped out.  Dare say... a budget Razor 1-10?

Thoughts, opinions?
View Quote

Leupold has a MIL/LE program.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Leupold has a MIL/LE program.
View Quote

Yes, as does literally every other optic manufacturer/reseller.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thoughts, opinions?
View Quote

The most impressive part of those specs is the weight, if accurate. I’d still probably go with an Arrowhead 1-10x with mil/moa reticle for half the cost. It’s only 1.2oz heavier and has a FOV of 115.6’ (1x)-11.5' (10x). I’m trying to wrap my head around a China made scope with a $1100+ MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The most impressive part of those specs is the weight, if accurate. I’d still probably go with an Arrowhead 1-10x with mil/moa reticle for half the cost. It’s only 1.2oz heavier and has a FOV of 115.6’ (1x)-11.5' (10x). I’m trying to wrap my head around a China made scope with a $1100+ MSRP.
View Quote

I wasn't impressed with my Swampfox, the 8-10 range was terrible and the glass overall wasn't very good.  

I'm hoping once reviews start trickling in and they start hitting the streets we can get first hand comparisons.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wasn't impressed with my Swampfox, the 8-10 range was terrible and the glass overall wasn't very good.  

I'm hoping once reviews start trickling in and they start hitting the streets we can get first hand comparisons.
View Quote

The glass on my 1-8 Arrowhead is pretty good. Granted, it doesn’t compare to my Bushnell Elite or Zeiss scopes, but it’s on par with my Nikons and leagues ahead of the old Strike Eagle 1-6 I had. I don’t have any firsthand experience with the 1-10 Arrowhead.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen some recent FFP LPVOs with a reticle that is battle size at 1x and disappears at high magnification, giving way to a very useful cross reticle. This is not one of those scopes. At 1x the reticle is so small it might as well be a dot. I'll take a clear 2FP scope over that. Right now that might be the Swampfox, but I hope something else comes along that's less of a brick.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen some recent FFP LPVOs with a reticle that is battle size at 1x and disappears at high magnification, giving way to a very useful cross reticle. This is not one of those scopes. At 1x the reticle is so small it might as well be a dot. I'll take a clear 2FP scope over that. Right now that might be the Swampfox, but I hope something else comes along that's less of a brick.
View Quote

March F 1-10 shorty.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m not buying a Chinese magnified optic, let alone one for a grand.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m not buying a Chinese magnified optic, let alone one for a grand.
View Quote

Agree, and I wouldn’t buy even at the .mil price I could get it for.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll stick with the proven track record of the Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#11]
For me, the Razor isn't even an option due to price so I'm glad to see another 1-10x on the market.

This scope looks very promising. FOV is identical to the Vortex and better than the other budget 1-10x scopes from Atibal and GSCR. The Vortex reticle has more wind holds but the Athlon BDC reticle extends 200 yards further. Athlon has less turret adjustment but the whole point of the reticle kind of makes that irrelevant for me. I also like the Athlon and Vortex MOA and MIL reticles better then the Atibal and GSCR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless it's daylight bright, it's a total nonstarter for anything other than plinking off a bench, and, frankly, that's not much of a bar to meet.

Guys, stop wasting your money on Chinesium scopes just because they've got a huge erector ratio and a semi-decent reticle.

ETA: There's so much that's driving me insane in this thread. You know why the Razor Gen3's MOA reticle stops at 600 with the BDC and then gives you straight MOA holds past that? Because load and velocity differences make BDC past 600 even more of a crapshoot than it normally is, and you really do need to know your holdover. That's what we call "intelligent reticle design". Athlon's Japanese-made line being pretty good has no bearing whatsoever on what their Chinese line is going to be like. (A critique also very applicable to Vortex, incidentally.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a review from a reputable source, like nutnfancy, would change my mind but for now I'll pass.
Could be lighter but I'm otherwise happy with my 1-4 Argos Gen 1 til they shave a few hundred off that MSRP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of the very high end Athlon is made by LOW in Japan. For $1100, it's most like one of those.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some of the very high end Athlon is made by LOW in Japan. For $1100, it's most like one of those.
View Quote

The other Ares ETR models are made in China so it easy to assume this 1-10x will be the same. Only the Cronus line is made in Japan.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top