Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan to compare this weekend. I'll start a new thread.

I just found this ARFCOM video from Shot Show, nice look at the FSO and reticle details:
GRSC FSO Full Spectrum Optic - SHOT Show 2019
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of comments:

I live not too far from Ed, so I met with him a couple of times over the last several months to take a look at the prototypes of this scope.  The scopes I saw are not the same as the production ones will be, but what I saw looked quite promising.  I will most definitely test the production scopes thoroughly.

The reticle is unique, but I am reasonably used to it (I still have one of the prototype 1-4x24 scopes from back when Ed tried working with Millett) and it works well.  I've shot out to 1000yards with the prototype and  I think it is good general purpose solution for AR platforms.

There was a question earlier in the thread whether there may be enough space in the market for two tiers of this design.  I think that there is, but there may be some interesting designs out there that could serve as a platform for Ed's reticle.  However, honestly, I would rather have Ed focused on this one for a bit.  This is a different way of thinking about reticles and I think Ed can reach a lot more people with a $550 Chinese scope and sorta raise awareness that this thing exists.  After that would a good time to explore additional platforms.

Also earlier in the thread there was a question about exit pupil diameter.  Exit pupil calculation of objective divided by magnification is not valid for the entire magnification range of the most scopes, especially of the LPVO designs.  The exit pupil of this scope is indeed 3mm on 10x.  However, on 1.1x it is most definitely not 27mm.  At lower magnifications, the objective lens is no longer the field stop and the effective objective diameter is smaller.  In practical terms, when I looked at a bunch of FFP 1-8x scopes last year, their exit pupils ranged from ~8mm (NX8) to ~12mm (XTR II).

I have not had a chance to measure the exit pupil on Ed's scope, but it should be in that same approximate range.  We can probably assume 10mm for now and when production scopes are here, I'll measure it.  If my guess is correct, the exit pupil is 10mm between 1.1x and 3x.  Between 3x and 10x it can be calculated by simply dividing objective diameter by the magnification.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also earlier in the thread there was a question about exit pupil diameter.  Exit pupil calculation of objective divided by magnification is not valid for the entire magnification range of the most scopes, especially of the LPVO designs.  The exit pupil of this scope is indeed 3mm on 10x.  However, on 1.1x it is most definitely not 27mm.  At lower magnifications, the objective lens is no longer the field stop and the effective objective diameter is smaller.  In practical terms, when I looked at a bunch of FFP 1-8x scopes last year, their exit pupils ranged from ~8mm (NX8) to ~12mm (XTR II).

I have not had a chance to measure the exit pupil on Ed's scope, but it should be in that same approximate range.  We can probably assume 10mm for now and when production scopes are here, I'll measure it.  If my guess is correct, the exit pupil is 10mm between 1.1x and 3x.  Between 3x and 10x it can be calculated by simply dividing objective diameter by the magnification.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
View Quote
Thanks, that's why I asked since in the real world, exit pupils are always all over the map when comparing optics and a bad exit pupil is usually a deal breaker for me, ie. the primary Arms 1-6 and 1-8.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A couple of comments:

I live not too far from Ed, so I met with him a couple of times over the last several months to take a look at the prototypes of this scope.  The scopes I saw are not the same as the production ones will be, but what I saw looked quite promising.  I will most definitely test the production scopes thoroughly.

The reticle is unique, but I am reasonably used to it (I still have one of the prototype 1-4x24 scopes from back when Ed tried working with Millett) and it works well.  I've shot out to 1000yards with the prototype and  I think it is good general purpose solution for AR platforms.

There was a question earlier in the thread whether there may be enough space in the market for two tiers of this design.  I think that there is, but there may be some interesting designs out there that could serve as a platform for Ed's reticle.  However, honestly, I would rather have Ed focused on this one for a bit.  This is a different way of thinking about reticles and I think Ed can reach a lot more people with a $550 Chinese scope and sorta raise awareness that this thing exists.  After that would a good time to explore additional platforms.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
View Quote
Thanks for explaining that about low end exit pupil. Good to know.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely interested in one for a 6.5 grendel build.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's why I asked since in the real world, exit pupils are always all over the map when comparing optics and a bad exit pupil is usually a deal breaker for me, ie. the primary Arms 1-6 and 1-8.
View Quote
We are indeed fortunate to have the DLOO here
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting thread and optic here.  I'm indeed intrigued.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI - @GRSCfred posted in Industry today that it's close...
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump - with question.

It was rumored that an offer of "if you buy the 1-6x, then we'll give a 1.1-10x for free" might be in the works/on the table?  Any truth to this?

I'm definitely interested...

Hoping to see a glowing review from LRRFP52!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice, I’m waiting to buy one as soon as they are ready.

Have a 6.5grendel waiting on an optic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

55Kingpin,
 I am trying to work this out with my partners at Norden Performance.
Tentatively this is the deal I'm trying to work with them.

Two for the price of one.
Buy a Norden Performance 1-6x24 CRS (Combat Rifle Scope) at regular price ($1025 +S&H and taxes, if applicable) and receive a
1.1-10x30 FSO at no extra charge.
This will be a limited promotional if it works out.
I will keep you posted.

I hope to get a sample of the 1.1-10 FSO out to LRRFP52 toward the end of next week.

Thanks
 Ed Verdugo
View Quote
I'll be buying one of these (the 1.1-10×) even if this deal doesn't happen.
If it does, I'll be one happy camper.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

55Kingpin,
 I am trying to work this out with my partners at Norden Performance.
Tentatively this is the deal I'm trying to work with them.

Two for the price of one.
Buy a Norden Performance 1-6x24 CRS (Combat Rifle Scope) at regular price ($1025 +S&H and taxes, if applicable) and receive a
1.1-10x30 FSO at no extra charge.
This will be a limited promotional if it works out.
I will keep you posted.

I hope to get a sample of the 1.1-10 FSO out to LRRFP52 toward the end of next week.

Thanks
 Ed Verdugo
Yeah I hope this deal works out, I will buy for sure. Have a 5.56 rifle that would like the 1-6.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#17]
It is good to see Fred on here.  I met Ed and Fred a few months ago to look at some prototypes and I am really itching to get my hands onto the final production scope.

ILya
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Ed, will this hold up to the recoil of a Scar17? And, is there a waiting list someplace?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FYI,
 I would like to take this time to introduce everyone to GRSC Fred.
 As I am getting older I'm trying to delegate more of the administrative part of the business to others.
 This will allow me more family time and also more field/trigger time.

Fred has been a very big help to me in the past with other projects and the T&E of CRS and FSO.
 I'm sure he will do a good job in his new role.

Fred will be posting here on AR15.com to keep interested parties updated on the status of this FSO project.
 He will also handle the GRSCINC website, social media, and individual internet sales thru the GRSCINC website.

I will continue to post here on AR15.com as needed.

Update on delivery status for the 1.1-10 FSO:

At the Shot Show I was told by my manufacture that we would have the first batch of production scopes by the end of February.

I am now told that there was/is a delay and I will not receive scopes until the end of April. Disappointed? So am I, but there is nothing I can

do about this. I just hope we get the scopes at the end of April as stated.

Also I was told by my FSO manufacture that if we wanted daytime bright illumination we could only have one color, red or green. Therefore the FSO illumination will will be green.

I will instruct Fred to start a list of potential buyers at the end of this month. We WILL NOT take preorder deposits or payment for scopes we do not have.

Thank you all for your interest in this product.

Ed Verdugo
View Quote
@GRSC

Ed - thank you for the response and clarification on the potential promotional deal.  I'm very interested and I'm in no hurry, so the Feb-Apr setback is not a concern to me.  I know it's disappointing for you, but I believe others here will be patient as well.

What made you decide on green over red for the illumination?

@GRSCfred as well
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Any more updates? Patiently waiting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, what a coincidence-I was trying to look at the GRSC site this morning but it was basically non-functional-didn’t know if It was my IPad or what.

Ed-I’m really interested in this 1-10x scope for a 2 gun/all around build I’m finishing up. I have to say that i’m somewhat put off with the reticle being a rifleman’s best option but it’s calibrated for .308........ like most guys in the military, I’m shooting 5.56, not 7.62..... maybe I’m overthinking this as a consumer but it doesn’t make a lot of sense (to me) to buy a scope for my rifle that is intended to make hits out to 1000-1200m but is not calibrated for my rifle at that distance.... I would bet that the trajectory with the .308 load your reticle was developed for starts to deviate from 5.56 ammo around 600m. And at that distance a 3x BDC ACOG like a TA33 is not far behind in potential for getting good first round hit probability.

Maybe I’m not looking at this right-I’d love to have the capability this scope would offer if it were calibrated for 5.56........ hardly anyone on the consumer market shoots battle rifle cartridges anymore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I like everything about this scope, except the reticle doesn't fit my use very well. I'd want to use it on a competition rifle for 3 gun and a crosshairs reticle with an illuminated center dot would be more useful on bay stages where the targets are closer and a lot of times have no shoots covering g part of the target and I'd need a smaller aiming point than the horseshoe. I will keep tabs for possible future reticles though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like everything about this scope, except the reticle doesn't fit my use very well. I'd want to use it on a competition rifle for 3 gun and a crosshairs reticle with an illuminated center dot would be more useful on bay stages where the targets are closer and a lot of times have no shoots covering g part of the target and I'd need a smaller aiming point than the horseshoe. I will keep tabs for possible future reticles though.
View Quote
When the GRSC 1-6 came out I bought one for 3 gun. Same thing the reticale just did not work well. About 6 months after I bought the GRSC the Razor came out and I bought one and never looked back. The GRSC was on EE the day I got my Razor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mustang-Man

Atibal offers the same scope with a different reticle and different W/E turrets. That scope might meet your needs. Give it a look. Atibal-optics.com.
Thanks
Ed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mustang-Man

Atibal offers the same scope with a different reticle and different W/E turrets. That scope might meet your needs. Give it a look. Atibal-optics.com.
Thanks
Ed
After some of atibal's recent actions I prefer to spend my money elsewhere. My current plan when I eventually move up to Tacops is the Vortex viper 1-6 but I'd much prefer a FFP scope like yours.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#33]
So do we order it from the site or wait to hear from the waiting list?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I’d be all over this but sorry, don’t care for the reticle. If you had a ballistic dot similar to the Burris 1-8, then I would hold off buying the Burris. I have a vortex scope with Chinese glass that’s pretty good so will assume your will be better. The other manufacturers will have to step there game to compete with yours. Good luck.

Just watched all of your vids you posted. Suggest anyone complaining on the horse shoe reticle watch the videos. Am now reconsidering a purchase. Curious though about price with current trade fighting between USA and china. How are you able to offer at that price? Tariffs not an issue? Since am wanting a new scope for my Grendel, will wait for LRRPF52 review before deciding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow! It's great to see Ed back and kicking butt!

Looking forward to seeing your new scope!

best

Dave Fortier
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the heads up on the other scope. I like their reticle but will still wait for the reviews before deciding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it available? I can put into my cart on the website and I don't see any notes about it being back ordered or out of stock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Here are some pics on 1x and 8x:

This was with an ARD on the objective, so the glass is actually pretty clear.

The box of dots are Mils with 5 mils marked with hashes.  The reticle is very fast for getting on-target without breaking sight picture and your windage tracks are already there.

Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#42]
interesting, In for more info.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bearcat,
 Thanks for your reply.

The reticle I designed for this scope is very mission specific. Even though it is very versatile and very effective for its intended purpose, I fully realize that this reticle is not for everyone. It was never intended to be. Now that this scope/reticle has been put into production I am looking to put other reticle designs into this scope that might be more suitable for other purposes. I would like to put a reticle in this 1-10 scope for use in 3 gun competition. I am open to ideas.

In the mean time if this scope seems to fit your needs, Atibal has the same scope with a different reticle and different W/E  turrets that might suit your needs.

You ask a valid question. How can I sell this scope at  $575.00?  I run a very very very small company with very low overhead. Also I have been working directly with the OEM company to develop/ produces this scope, no middle man. Also look at my videos. To say they are amateurish would be a generous compliment. That's me, Fred and my kids doing the videos website etc. Point is, the more I spend on development and advertising will add to the cost of the scope. I work very hard to keep this at  a minimum. $575.00 does not include a lifetime warranty. You will
have to pay extra for that. I have worked very hard to develop a good product that I can sell at a very competitive price.

The scopes are supposed to ship today. I will be sending a scope to LRRPF52 as soon as get them.

Ed Verdugo
View Quote
For what it is worth, I have the Atibal scope here and I will borrow one from Ed as soon as he gets a few in.

I am not crazy about the Atibal reticle and I really want to see how these two reticle designs look side by side.

There really aren't a whole lot of decent FFP scopes out there in the sub-$1k range, but that competition is heating up now that Burris has announced its RT-8.

With the existing options, I am baffled by some reticle concepts out there.  I do not agree with Ed on everything, but his reticle is intelligently designed and he can comfortably articulate why every feature of it is there.

I swear a bunch of the reticles I see out there look the way the look because they wanted it to look different, not for any functional purpose.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is it available? I can put into my cart on the website and I don't see any notes about it being back ordered or out of stock.
View Quote
I would like to know this myself?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the heads up on the Burris RT-8. If they stay with the same reticle as the RT-6, they can keep it. I’m holding off until reviews are posted about this scope before deciding.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up on the Burris RT-8. If they stay with the same reticle as the RT-6, they can keep it. I'm holding off until reviews are posted about this scope before deciding.
View Quote
Looks like they added 2 other reticles ballistic circle dot (reticle option on XTR II 1-8 IIRC, ballistic CQ MIL (XTR II 1-5x reticle option I think)
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice update. Just waiting on reviews from those who are testing it. Please keep us updated on arrival to sell. Hope you get a large batch in on your first shipment. Should go fast.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#50]
When do you expect the next batch? Thinking I may just place the order and hope it won’t be to long.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top