Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2018 3:04:34 AM EDT
I am thinking about picking up a 2.5X magnified prism scope from Primary Arms (linked) to put on a rifle. I know next to nothing about magnified optics, and would like a little advice. First off, will an A2 front sight interfere with my sight picture, or because of the magnification, will I see "through" the front sight post. As for my other question, does anyone have any experience with this scope? I have heard good things about PA, but would like some insight into that particular scope.
Thanks!

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-2-5x-compact-ar15-scope-with-patented-cqb-acss-reticle-pac2-5x
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have zero experience with that optic but plenty with others from them and all have held up and performed nicely. As far as the FSB, that is about the magnification it starts to disappear so I think you will be able to tell it is there but it will not get in the way. My experience with that is I have a 4x acog and could not see it at all, and a 1.5x acog and could easily tell it was there but did not bother me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
With a 3x magnifier I can sort of make out a shadow of the FSB if I'm looking for, but usually don't notice it.  I suspect you'll be fine with 2.5x.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am thinking about picking up a 2.5X magnified prism scope from Primary Arms (linked) to put on a rifle. I know next to nothing about magnified optics, and would like a little advice. First off, will an A2 front sight interfere with my sight picture, or because of the magnification, will I see "through" the front sight post. As for my other question, does anyone have any experience with this scope? I have heard good things about PA, but would like some insight into that particular scope.
Thanks!

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-2-5x-compact-ar15-scope-with-patented-cqb-acss-reticle-pac2-5x
View Quote
Well, lets go to the source.  @PA_Mike   He has always taken the time to answer questions about the products.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Have their original Gen 1 3x prism scope. You can most definately see the FSB through it. It is out of focus, but it is a very noticable sight picture obstruction. 4x power on up is when the FSB starts to dissappear enough to not be a detriment.

Personally, I cannot stand having obstructions in my sight picture. I would go with flip up buis (magpul pros as they have a great reputation and are super low profile when folded) instead of FSB with a fixed low power prism scope.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you so much, for all of the info, I really am looking forward to that pic! This will be my entry into long range shooting (past 100yds), so I don't think I would be able to hit targets past 250, even if I had the right gear, so this scope seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I really appreciate the awesome customer service, it certainly helps with me making up my mind on what to get!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with PA_Mike. You want a bare minimum of 1x magnification power for every 100yds you intend to shoot. Of course they're some wiggle room there as everyone's different and Ballistic Drop Reticles/subtensioned reticles also help extend that, but it is a solid baseline. I personally prefer 2x magnification power for every 100yds I intend to shoot as 50yd shots are far easier on my eyes.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the 2.5x and like it very much.  Just enough magnification to help out to a couple hundred yards while still being pretty fast up close.  The FSB is visible, but blurred out and I find it easy to “look through”.  I think the 2.5x is one of the best bang for the buck offerings from PA, especially when they go on sale.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The 2.5x is a fine scope its more orientated for shooting within 200 yards. I prefer more magnification for shooting out to my ranges limit of 328 yards. (at least 4x)
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
@PA_Mike Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about the optic and take those pics. I will definitely be picking one of those up here in the near future!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I do have one question. On the product page it shows the reticle as being zeroed at 50/300yds wouldn't it be 50/200? If so how does that translate to the following dots? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome! Thank you I really look forward to trying it out, and learning more about (semi) long range shooting!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top