Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2018 1:13:22 PM EDT
Ordered an ADM 30mm Recon-H (high mount) to run on my 18" SPR.  
Has anyone else used this setup?  Will be used with a Burris RT6 1-6.

Seems to me that with a high mount, I don't have to crane my neck down as far to see through the scope.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Aero - It's an AD Recon-H, 1.9"  ---- can you explain why higher is worse?

THanks
Brad
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It's my "do-all" rifle:  HD, 3-gun, Plinking - with emphasis on HD.

Before we go down that path, no, I can't use red dots 2/2 bad astigmatism.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm running an American Defense 1.93" with our 1-6x FFP Raptor. In the prone at high magnification it's a bit slower because there's more wiggle room with my face, I'm not smooshing my jaw against the stock so hard that it lands in the same place immediately every time. So I wouldn't recommend it with anything that has a picky eyebox if you want to do prone shooting.

At 1x from the low ready or high ready, etc., it is great. I don't have to "turtle" my head at all, I just hold my head straight up, bring the the rifle up and POP my reticle appears with both eyes open just like a read dot. It's easier to be consistent this way, instead of moving two things (gun and my face) I just move one of them, so I've cut my potential variables in half there. I think it's definitely faster when at 1x magnification and standing unsupported. It pairs marvelously with a FFP low power variable, I personally lose almost no time compared to a red dot (likely because the hardware isn't the limiting factor, I am).

For better or for worse, this is what my shooting position looks like with the high mount. Some competition shooters will point out ten things I'm doing wrong here but for the level of shooter I am, this is what a 1.93" looks like in action.

http://primaryarmsoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/MikeGifTest.gif
View Quote
Thanks, I like it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Aero - It's an AD Recon-H, 1.9"  ---- can you explain why higher is worse?

THanks
Brad
View Quote
It's simple.  An AR15 stock is designed to put your cheek and therefore your eye, in line with the fixed A2 front sight which is about 1.5" above the top of the rail.  Stock, cheek, eye and sight, all in a straight line.

I have only one higher mounted scope.  It is a very large, long 6-24x50mm target scope that has a 4" sunshade screwed into the front.  That sunshade extends so far forward on a 16" barrel that it would not clear a folded front sight.  I had to raise it to clear the folded sight.  My cheek weld is not ideal because of that, but it's the only way I could get the scope on the rifle. That is a 1.93" high Larue LT-135.  It is used for match ammo load development and very precise benchrest type target shooting.

That scope comes off during normal duty on that rifle and is replaced by a scope that matches my cheek weld, a mid powered scope in a Larue LT-104 with "standard" 1.5" height.  My eye lines up with the center of the scope eyepiece when my cheek is down on the stock.

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
1.9X” mounts are a thing, mostly for fast shooting like 3-gun mimicking a RDS up close and a ‘heads up’ style shooting. I’ve always used just regular 1.5” mounts, and I’d definitely consider that the way to go for any other style of shooting, and is probably a better option for many that fancy themselves speed shooters as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1.9X” mounts are a thing, mostly for fast shooting like 3-gun mimicking a RDS up close and a ‘heads up’ style shooting. I’ve always used just regular 1.5” mounts, and I’d definitely consider that the way to go for any other style of shooting, and is probably a better option for many that fancy themselves speed shooters as well.
View Quote
Yup, mounting LPV Optics higher is becoming a thing for some.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I love high mounts. Less craning of the neck, more comfortable shooting imo
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a sidecharger and 0.5" cheek riser to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a sidecharger and 0.5" cheek riser to go with it.
View Quote
Or just get a Larue Risr.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top