All day, any day and twice on Sunday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would go Primary Arms advanced micro dot before that
All day, any day and twice on Sunday.
lol I've owned half a dozen PA red dots.  Half of them went tits up.

I've owned 3 of the Sightmark Wolverines.  All 3 were flawless and got run a lot harder and a lot longer than the PA red dots.

Sightmark even replaced one of them free of charge with a brand new one just because I wanted the gen 2 that's compatible with Aimpoint mounts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, at least one person had a good experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:38:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The Wolverine is good to go. It's a pretty solid AAA option. The only bad thing is the weight of the optic, and you need a CASV height mount in order to get an absolute cowitness if you want something QD.

I ordered a Wolverine and was dissapointed that the base was not T1 compatible. I contacted Sightmark and they sent me a return label, and shipped me an upgraded version that uses T1 mounts free of charge. They are a good company and the FSR/CSR red dots are a huge step over their reflex/30mm junk sights.

I have no complaints about the wolverine series of red dots.

I would choose Holosun/Primary arms over them for the weight savings though. If you want to use AAA batteries though they are a solid choice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought you were going Aimpoint PRO after giving up on EOtech

I will tell you...I looked through one of these at my LGS...and if your eyes are sensitive...they will pick up the refresh rate on these if you move the optic...the Vortex Sparc AR also had this issue for my eyes...essentially creates ghosting when you transition from target to target...quite annoying...Vortex UH1 did the same....

If you want a good, inexpensive optic...I am telling you...find a DI Optical RV1...robust design...AA power...very clean dot...parallax is about like an AP Pro.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought you were going Aimpoint PRO after giving up on EOtech

I will tell you...I looked through one of these at my LGS...and if your eyes are sensitive...they will pick up the refresh rate on these if you move the optic...the Vortex Sparc AR also had this issue for my eyes...essentially creates ghosting when you transition from target to target...quite annoying...Vortex UH1 did the same....

If you want a good, inexpensive optic...I am telling you...find a DI Optical RV1...robust design...AA power...very clean dot...parallax is about like an AP Pro.
View Quote
I was going with Aimpoint Pro but I already have several Aimpoints. I want to try something different. ( And less expensive)

The Wolverine  uses AA batteries, comes in 2moa and 4moa dots and is night vision compatible.( In case I need it)

I'm hoping with the 2moa dot, I can still make fairly easy 500 yard shots ; when used with my magnifier.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
DI RV1
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The sightmark products I've seen are poor quality.  Haven't handled this one, but would pass.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I put a Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec Reflex Sight on my wife's AR 22.  It has held up well including a drop onto the cement floor at the range from which it did not loose zero!  I know it has not taken the beating some on this forum would subject it to but I have been pleased with it.  If the Wolverine is built anything like it you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The sightmark products I've seen are poor quality.  Haven't handled this one, but would pass.
View Quote
The Wolfhound/Wolverine/UltraShot/MiniShot lines they sell today are nothing like the cheap little $20 reflex sights that they (and a hundred other brands) used to sell years ago.  Which is what all the "sightmark sucks!" people are thinking about.

This is the stuff they're making these days

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered one with the 2moa dot. It came to around $100.00 with tax.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The RV1 (and probably RV2) are probably the best deal in proven optics.  They are heavy though...my RV1 with ARMS17 mount & battery is 15-oz. on the mail scale.

DI recently released (as in you can actually buy them now - they “announced” them in like January) their SP1 micro.  7-oz. with included mount & battery.  The 2nd one I got from Optics Planet during Thanksgiving week for $169 shipped.

Let us know what you think of the Sightmark; on & off I’ve seen some pretty good sales.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The RV1 (and probably RV2) are probably the best deal in proven optics.  They are heavy though...my RV1 with ARMS17 mount & battery is 15-oz. on the mail scale.

DI recently released (as in you can actually buy them now - they “announced” them in like January) their SP1 micro.  7-oz. with included mount & battery.  The 2nd one I got from Optics Planet during Thanksgiving week for $169 shipped.

Let us know what you think of the Sightmark; on & off I’ve seen some pretty good sales.
View Quote
Will do.

I actually prefer optics with mechanical switches, especially after having every Eotechs I owned drain batteries when not in use ..

That being said, I typically remove the batteries in optics with electronic switches that I'm.not going to use often.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
DI RV1 is probably the best bang for you buck...its a stout red dot...and the dot is very crisp. The adjustments are robust. I want another one soon.

How do you like the SP1?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
So far so good.  Glass is really clear IMO & no discernible tint.  The mount gets a thumbs up & it seems well built, etc. but I’ve only had the first one out a couple times.

I’m not a good judge on dot appearance.  I’ve got a lousy astigmatism so none are going to be perfectly round.  Doesn’t bug me though - not using them to try and knock down fly testicles.

I do have a few nits to pick:
-I’d been hoping battery life was going to be commensurate with the RV’s, but nope.

-The body design doesn’t lend itself to even a bikini much less flip caps.  We’ll see if DI eventually offers something.

-I’d prefer a rotary switch but their button setup works well.

I struggled with another SP1 or the demo unit RV1’s Optics Planet has at the moment.  Time will tell...I hope they’re still making ‘em; will definitely get another one (the RV1)

I picked-up a Nikon SuperDot off the EE also.  Maybe do a comparison to determine the best sub-$200 buck, non-Chinese red dot....since I have the only two in said category!

If I needed another one right now, the PA’s on sale for $119 would be hard to resist.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
My RV1 is the demo unit from OP. Want a 2nd one. They are solid and stout.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Some background: I do own Aimpoint, Trijicon and high end Vortex optics.

I own both the FSR and the CSR.  Between my wife and I we have about 6,000 rounds on each.  I originally bought them as "range toys" because they use a standard AA battery.  However they have been awesome and far exceeded my expectations.  They come with both a low and high mount as well.

I now own 4 of them now.  While I still have high end optics on my go to guns however these have been awesome.  I love that they take AA batteries as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I own both the FSR and the CSR.  Between my wife and I we have about 6,000 rounds on each.  I originally bought them as "range toys" because they use a standard AA battery.  However they have been awesome and far exceeded my expectations.  They come with both a low and high mount as well.

I now own 4 of them now.  While I still have high end optics on my go to guns however these have been awesome.  I love that they take AA batteries as well.
View Quote
Mine arrived today. I got the FSR.

I'm very impressed so far.

Did you get the kill flash for it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm very impressed so.far.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very impressed so.far.

No not yet, I dont think they have been out that long.  I had thought about it but since we usually use them for training/range never went on it.  The red anode is very visible from the front so it may be good for that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No not yet, I dont think they have been out that long.  I had thought about it but since we usually use them for training/range never went on it.  The red anode is very visible from the front so it may be good for that.
View Quote
I think I'll order one then.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
DI RV1
View Quote
This, but all the DI Optical stuff is going up in price. Too many people realized how good they are.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#26]
@Dace

How did you tighten the mounting hex nut?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Dace

How did you tighten the mounting hex nut?
View Quote
The manual says to torque to 35-45 in/lbs which I do with a socket and the Wheeler fat wrench.  Or you uust just use a socker and ratchet and just wing it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The manual says to torque to 35-45 in/lbs which I do with a socket and the Wheeler fat wrench.  Or you uust just use a socker and ratchet and just wing it.
View Quote
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#29]
What mount can I use that will allow 1/3 co-witness?

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top