Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2018 2:01:37 PM EDT
I have an 11.5" SBR and for 2-3 years I've had a TR24G on it. Now I love this optic. I really do - But I've recently built a 14.5" upper for it, and realized that I wanted an MRO on the 11.5 instead of a LPVO.

I was going to move the TR24G to the 14.5, but at 45 years old I am getting to the point where 1-4X is getting a little less comfortable for me, and I feel like I want a 1-6x or even a 1-8.

Ive been thinking about trading off or selling the accupoint and getting a 1-6x gen 2 PST viper - or even a 1-8x (but it's so heavy) trijicon or vortex HD.

I also have my ACOG which just sits in the safe, but its still only 1-4X.

Those who have the gen2 1-6x vortex, is it comprable in quality and glass to the Trijicon? I'll miss that awesome green triangle for sure, so fast and easy to pick up, and I'm not sure I want to trade it for a dot. Wondering if people who have run both have any opinions....
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you love everything about the TR24 but wish it were a 1-6, why wouldn’t you just get the TR25 and call it a day? Same everything as the 24, but it’s a 1-6, and has (to me) better glass and less scope shadow around the image when shouldered.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have recently done exactly this.  And while the vortex is amazing, I would not say it is amazingly better.

First and foremost.  The razor is crazy heavy.  Even the E version which is 4oz lighter than the original.  Going from a TR24 to the razor almost made me throw up it is so much heavier.  It changes everything about the way the rifle handles for the worse.

So basically the decision point needs to be can you justify the 1) added expense but most importantly the 2) added weight for the pros of the razor.  Those pros being top of the line field of view, the little bit of extra power, and the thin reticle.

I will be honest with you and say that I found the glass quality of the trijicon to be very good and the 4x vs 6x was barely a difference.  For instance I have used a strike eagle 1-8 and despite being 8x the TR24 was better at 4x due to clarity.  So in regards to the trijicon vs vortex what it comes down to is the different reticle.

The triangle reticle is fast and easy to use, but not “precise”.  3gun competitions out to 200yards max against 12” steel plates is this reticles limit.  I don’t even know if more power will fix that, isn’t the triangle like 7 MOA or something?  I never did, but I guess if you are hunting the triangle reticle could work out for you a little further since your target is so big, maybe out to 300 for still “precision” hunting with the trijicon.

The razor reticle is clean and clear and the bright dot is really nice,  I barely have any time behind my razor but I can tell you that the eye box is much less forgiving than the trijicon; with the razor, head placement is much more important.  I like to shoot with the collapsible stock barely extended, so I struggle to get my head in a good position without having to move the stock out more which now places he optic further forward and then the rifle feels heavier.

So, do I think the razor is amazing...yes.  Am I considering buying another one...yes.  Am I upset that I ever sold my TR24...yes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The razor reticle is clean and clear and the bright dot is really nice,  I barely have any time behind my razor but I can tell you that the eye box is much less forgiving than the trijicon; with the razor, head placement is much more important.  I like to shoot with the collapsible stock barely extended, so I struggle to get my head in a good position without having to move the stock out more which now places he optic further forward and then the rifle feels heavier.
View Quote
This goes to show how huge the eyebox is on the accupoints.

Razor is generally regarded as having the most forgiving eyebox on a 1-6/8.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have an 11.5" SBR and for 2-3 years I've had a TR24G on it. Now I love this optic. I really do - But I've recently built a 14.5" upper for it, and realized that I wanted an MRO on the 11.5 instead of a LPVO.

I was going to move the TR24G to the 14.5, but at 45 years old I am getting to the point where 1-4X is getting a little less comfortable for me, and I feel like I want a 1-6x or even a 1-8.

Ive been thinking about trading off or selling the accupoint and getting a 1-6x gen 2 PST viper - or even a 1-8x (but it's so heavy) trijicon or vortex HD.

I also have my ACOG which just sits in the safe, but its still only 1-4X.

Those who have the gen2 1-6x vortex, is it comprable in quality and glass to the Trijicon? I'll miss that awesome green triangle for sure, so fast and easy to pick up, and I'm not sure I want to trade it for a dot. Wondering if people who have run both have any opinions....
View Quote
Vortex is not the way to go. Get a 1-6 accupoint or the 1-8 accupower. I got buddies that are on that vortex band wagon and the wheels are falling off just like their scopes. They’re all ditching them for Leupold mk6’s or the 1-8 accupower or 1-6 accupoint. For a general purpose optic the 1-4 accupoint is great. It’s still my favorite scope.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vortex is not the way to go. Get a 1-6 accupoint or the 1-8 accupower. I got buddies that are on that vortex band wagon and the wheels are falling off just like their scopes. They’re all ditching them for Leupold mk6’s or the 1-8 accupower or 1-6 accupoint. For a general purpose optic the 1-4 accupoint is great. It’s still my favorite scope.
View Quote
I am going to agree with TBone....

I am moving towards LPVOs and the Accupower scope is great....I have the 1-4 and 1-8 Accupower and a NX8, all three are great.  The 1-4 is on a SBR, works great...

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Vortex has one good scope with is the razor and it has good glass but it’s heavy, 1/2 moa adjustments and for my eyes I don’t like the .75 moa dot. I prefer something bold which is why I like the Trijicon reticles. The other vortex stuff is Chinese glass. If it’s not German, American, or Japanese glass it’s not worth my money. I’ve seen more vortex scopes break than others too. My buddy broke two razor scopes two matches in a row and the viper scopes have had problems too. Yeah they have that great warranty but I would prefer a product that I know is rock solid.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top