Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 3:23:34 AM EDT
Disclaimer: Holosun/Primary Arms are better/superior in every way. But it's possible to score one of these for $60 or a TRS-25 for a bit less. While the Holosun/Primary Arms run $130-200.

I purchased an AT3 Tactical RD-50 out of curiosity more than anything. I received the optic for only $60 shipped so it didn't set me back much. I was some what impressed with the you tube reviews. The Amazon reviews and reviews on their site are kind of meaningless to me though. It's really easy for them to be biased.

In the past I've purchased TRS-25 on amazon, and had to send them back immediately. The Bushnell I am comparing the AT3 with is actually a defective one (I haven't sent it in for warranty yet, this trs-25 was actually a freebie)

The Bushnell TRS goes for about $52 shipped on Amazon, and around $80 on other websites such as Primary Arms, Classic firearms and other websites. In my honest oppinion each one of these purchases has been a gamble I have lost out on. I've had 3 TRS-25 in a row that were not satisfactory.

The AT3 without mounts or body armor sells for about $75, but can be found on sale for $60. (Shipping Included)

During their initial release they were amazing, but over time Bushnell changed things, cut corners, and still charged about the same price for things. They used to be very robust and an amazing value.

Both red dots look nearly identical, the bodies are exactly the same design. But there are some differences.

Battery Compartments are similar as far as O-Rings/PCB Board are different.

Windage/Elevation looks totally different. The AT3 has beefier O-Rings, the metal used appears to be stainless or aluminum. Also the threads look a lot cleaner (as far as machining).

The screw used for Nitrogen purging on the AT3 is covered. IMO I believe this seals the optic much better than a screw alone.

The Bushnell TRS-25 Specifications are:
CONFIGURATION1X25MM
RETICLE3 MOA DOT
LENS COATINGMULTI-COATED
RETICLE COLORRED
NUMBER OF BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS11
PARALLAX50
FIELD OF VIEW (FT@1000YDS/M@1000M)UNLIMITED
WEIGHT113G / 4.0OZ
LENGTH63.0MM / 2.480IN
EYE RELIEFUNLIMITED
EXIT PUPIL25.0MM / 0.984IN
CLICK VALUE1 MOA
ADJUSTMENT RANGE70+ MOA
MOA PER REV40
MOUNTWEAVER
RAINGUARDNO
WATERPROOFYES
SHOCKPROOFYES
FOGPROOFYES
EXTENDED BATTERY LIFEYES
NITROGEN PURGEDYES
View Quote
AT3 RD-50 Specs

Power / Obj. Lens: 1x25mm
Reticle: 2 MOA Red Dot
Lens Coating: Multi-coated
Weight: 3.6 oz
Mounting Length: 1.1 inch / 28 mm
Total Length: 2.4 in / 61.8 mm
Exit Pupil: 22mm
Battery Type: CR2032 (Renata™ CR2032 Battery Included)
Battery life: up to 50,000 hours on lowest setting. Approx. 5,000 hour with typical use
Windage/Elevation Click Value: 1 MOA per click
Adj Range: +/- 35 MOA (total adjustment range 70 MOA)
Eye Relief: Unlimited
Parallax Adjustment: Fixed
Field of View: Unlimited
Night Vision Compatible: No
Nitrogen filled: Yes
Waterproof/Fogproof: Yes
Recoil resistance - Certified up to 500g's. Certified for use with large-caliber rifles and shotguns, as well as "springer" airguns with 2-way recoil
Body material: 6061 Aluminum
Finish: Matte black anodized
View Quote
Bushnell TRS-25 Features/Observations

Battery Life: 2,500-3,000 Hours on Medium Settings (It isn't really listed, just speculated)
Finish: Honestly the finish seems like a really cheap/shiny paint. It reminds me of how airsoft products are coated.
Material: The grade of aluminum is not stated. Weight is 4 oz. Feels like chinesium to me.
Waterproof rating: not stated
Purge Screw is visible/accessible.
Emitter Location: 3 O'clock (Old Units were at 6 O'clock and had issues with the red dot "ghosting" at 11 O'clock . Several of the TRS-25 I ordered had this issue)
Tint/Glass Clarity: Slight blue/green hue to it
Customer Service: Limited warranty on the TRS-25, Money order for $10 is needed for return shipping..
Illumination Knob:Loose/Not Tactile.

AT3 Tactical features

Battery Life: It's advertised at 50,000 on a low setting. Seems a little pointless to me to list that. What caught my attention is that the battery life is around 5,000 hours on medium settings. Nearly double that of the Bushnell. The 1 and 2 settings on this are plenty bright indoors though. 11 Is kind of Retina Blinding.
Finish: It's actually hard coat anodized, none of that cheap shiney paint.
Material: 6061 Aluminum. Weight is 3.6 oz. Negligible, but it makes me think that the alloy used in the Bushnell might use an inferior alloy.
Waterproof rating: not stated, but the Orings do have my attention on both red dots.
Emitter Location: 6 O'Clock, just like the early release TRS-25 that rocked.
Tint/Glass Clarity: I found it really clear, almost as clear as the Vortex Crossfire red dot.
Customer Service: Lifetime warranty. I contacted AT3 about returning a magnifier I purchased because it didn't play well with my astigmatism. Not only did I get a refund but they picked up shipping and sent me a pre-payed label. They will take care of you.
Illumination Knob:Tight/Tactile

If you want a cheaper optic, and loved the original TRS-25, I'd pick up the AT3. There are coupon codes out there and they do sales often. At first glance it looks like a clone or copy. But if anything it is a refinement with better build quality, materials, battery life, and a better warranty.

I wanted to give these guys a chance. They could be the next primary arms.

Anyone else have one? How are they holding up.

Also table top reviews are stupid, I'm going to throw this on my new Mossberg 590A1 and put some slugs through it first chance I get. Will update when that happens.

Also my apologies on the close ups, Holy fuck dog hair gets everywhere

Also for those who have a good TRS-25 the body armor/mounts will work with it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 of the TRS-25 red dots with the yellow graphics (suppose to be better than the ones with the white graphics), they haven't failed me yet and my grandson likes it on mis muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The TRS-25 was $47 on Amazon last I checked.  I have 4 of them, and I am sure I got two of them cheaper than that on black Friday deals.  You should also look into the TRS-26.

I can't imagine how some other product is "better in every way".  Unless it shoots the rifle for you, I would find it hard to beat the value of the TRS-25.

Funny how I haven't had to send a single one back, and I shoot the living fuck out of my rifles.

Pic of an optic, actually mounted on a shooter's rifle:

ETA: Don't mount your optic as shown. I found that with tolerance stacking on Picatinny rails, the hand guard rail could end up wider or narrower than the rail on your upper, causing..............issues.  Don't span your optic clamp across the intersection of the rail surface.  It didn't cause any issues with this .45 at the ranges where it is employed, it is just something to take into consideration.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The TRS-25 was $47 on Amazon last I checked.  I have 4 of them, and I am sure I got two of them cheaper than that on black Friday deals.  You should also look into the TRS-26.

I can't imagine how some other product is "better in every way".  Unless it shoots the rifle for you, I would find it hard to beat the value of the TRS-25.

Funny how I haven't had to send a single one back, and I shoot the living fuck out of my rifles.

Pic of an optic, actually mounted on a shooter's rifle:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Macon-CNC-45ACP-209613.jpg

ETA: Don't mount your optic as shown. I found that with tolerance stacking on Picatinny rails, the hand guard rail could end up wider or narrower than the rail on your upper, causing..............issues.  Don't span your optic clamp across the intersection of the rail surface.  It didn't cause any issues with this .45 at the ranges where it is employed, it is just something to take into consideration.  
View Quote
Honestly I don't know why I'm so unlucky. I owned a trs25 when they first came out. I really regret selling it. Imo even more recent gold lettered RDS had issues. Th original survived torture tests, was fried on ultimak mounts, etc.

I'm just psyched I basically found something with a similar build quality/price as the original trs25. , but with a few improvements
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushnell has returned the TRS-25's emitter diode to its original 4 o'clock position.  Moving it to 6 o'clock caused an undesirable vanishing red dot at extreme viewing angles due to the shroud position.  That is fixed and was the only thing wrong.

You can't go by logo color.  My old one had a white logo and 4 o'clock emitter.  It's been beat on for 5-6 years now and just keeps running.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a TRS-25 that kept on going for years, and I have a TRS-32 that is also long lived, but the dot is too big. I like the idea of a 2 MOA dot in a low cost tube, would make the Trash Panda complete!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top