Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2018 1:45:47 PM EDT
Which does everyone recommend.Iam looking at getting a eotech xps or exps3. Have never used a holographic sight. Probably only use for small game and target shooting. Please help. Thanks to all that reply.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolute feels better to me. I can actually get a cheek weld on the rifle. Downfall is controls for eotech with absolute are on the rear of the sight. Lower third has side controls which are easier to use but not as comfortable. If you ever plan to use a magnifier side controls, and by default lower third, makes more sense. I believe there are absolute and lower with rear controls but not side controls.
If you are running a fixed front sight and not flip ups I dislike absolute. I dont like the front sight blocking the dot. It ruins the whole point if having a 1 moa dot for me. The front post is larger than the dot. If using flip ups it doesnt matter.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My personal preference (and I have both folding and fixed sights on my ARs ..... If you have fixed sights go with 1/3 co-witness, if you have folding sights then there's no reason no to have absolute co-witness.  Either way, that little dot on top of the front sight post doesn't really affect things.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolute feels better to me. I can actually get a cheek weld on the rifle. Downfall is controls for eotech with absolute are on the rear of the sight. Lower third has side controls which are easier to use but not as comfortable. If you ever plan to use a magnifier side controls, and by default lower third, makes more sense. I believe there are absolute and lower with rear controls but not side controls.
If you are running a fixed front sight and not flip ups I dislike absolute. I dont like the front sight blocking the dot. It ruins the whole point if having a 1 moa dot for me. The front post is larger than the dot. If using flip ups it doesnt matter.
View Quote
Opposite for me. 1/3rd feels better for me. Being higher up feels comfortable because I'm not pulling down to get the same sight picture.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Opposite for me. 1/3rd feels better for me. Being higher up feels comfortable because I'm not pulling down to get the same sight picture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. Your head is more upright and situational awareness is better IMO.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolute.  
1). Allows utilization of rear peep site to clarify dot for more extended engagements and zeroing.  (Zero them separately)
2). Keeps everything Lower and more compact overall.  Some might not notice, but I’m OCD about weight and center of gravity. Also Helps a bit with moving your firearm to your face, not the other way around.
3) if you do ever have to go to Buis under duress, you will instinctively sight down center of glass. Obviously one def doesn’t want to err on the high side while reacting to contact.
Gl hope some of this helps
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Also...MPBR zero is ideal w this setup IMO
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
yes
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My personal preference (and I have both folding and fixed sights on my ARs ..... If you have fixed sights go with 1/3 co-witness, if you have folding sights then there's no reason no to have absolute co-witness.  Either way, that little dot on top of the front sight post doesn't really affect things.
View Quote
+1

I believe this as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll third this. I'm a fan of lower 1/3rd just because I can get my head higher up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolute on ones with flip up BUIS for me. Lower 1/3 on the one I have with A2 front sight.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Lower 1/3 even with flip ups. I shoot from very square, heads up style approach though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I never liked the idea of a lower 1/3 scope until I shot one. It’s absolutely awesome, and keeps your head up while shooting. Love it!
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using an absolute co-witness w/ a fixed front sight.  It doesn't bother me one bit.  The red dot sits right at the top of my front sight post.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Lower 1/3 on my Ar's and absolute on my ACR
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Absolute on mine.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Lower 1/3 or higher.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
As you have probably discovered by now, absolute vs. lower 1/3 is an entirely personal affair. The truth is both work fine.

I need lower 1/3 (or higher) if I'm running a fixed rear sight. I can use either style if the rear sight can fold.

I prefer absolute co-witness with a quality folding rear BUIS. My cheek weld is consistent and it makes me "feel" more accurate. Both systems are very fast provided you don't waste time trying place the red dot on top of the front sight post before making the shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top