Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2018 4:38:46 PM EDT
So I am in a dilemma and before I spend a lot of money on optics for my rifles, I wanted to get opinions from the hive.

So my rifles are as follows:

PWS 14.5”
DD Mk12

Now I was initially thinking of a PA 1-8x platinum on the Mk12 and maybe a PA 1-6x Raptor on the 14.5”.

But now I’m thinking that perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself with BDC reticles. I know they are busy by definition and I’m wondering if I switch to a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 with MOA reticle for both rifles; specifically the 1-6x on the 14.5” and a 2-10x on the DD.

Now the OCD part of me is thinking that I’m seriously missing out by not having a BDC reticle.

The logical part of me says I can learn my dope and my reticle and I don’t have to worry about the BDC not lining up. I can use standard MOA reticles and have a consistent sight pictures in terms of glass quality since the scopes are from the same line. Plus all reticles will work with all loads.

So what are the thoughts of the hive. Are MOA reticles dead and BDC the future?

I know from a minute of man and military perspective with a standard rifle and ammo it makes sense but again, what do I know?

I like the idea of the PST Gen 2 line as a turn key solution for my rifles.

So thoughts?

EDIT:

Rifles will be used our to 500 yards.

14.5” will be used primarily for fighting rifle courses.
Mk12 will be used for precision rifle courses.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You are over thinking it, buy a scope, mount it and shoot it till you know where it will hit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are over thinking it, buy a scope, mount it and shoot it till you know where it will hit.
View Quote
That’s what I thought. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
5.56 BDCs are pretty easy to use since 5.56 is a pretty flat shooting round.

I like to zero at the 300 yard/meter hash (at 300) and confirm POI at all other distances.  With 77gr It's usually an inch and a half or so high at 100, and too close to tell out to 5-600.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like to zero at the 300 yard/meter hash (at 300) and confirm POI at all other distances.  With 77gr It's usually an inch and a half or so high at 100, and too close to tell out to 5-600.
View Quote
Fair enough. So you think BDC is the way to go?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a plain duplex as I don't like busy scopes (hunting, not paper).  Seems to me if you know the range then a bdc would be fine, if you don't know the range then the moa might be better since it can be used as a rangefinder.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Not really.  Measuring stuff with a reticle and calculating range is not a good way to do things.  You're almost just as well off to just walk 'em and skip the math.  The best you'll likely do is a smidge over  50% first round hit probability.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Good BDC reticles are not busy.  They are super simple.

For short to medium range (0-500) I think a BDC is superior to a MRAD or MOA type scope for practical sized targets.

If you want to shoot a golf ball at 300 yards you need a very fine reticle.  But then you need more magnification and that is a different type of goal and a different type of scope entirely.

So many people are incorrect about the utility of a BDC with a variety of ammo.  If the BDC is properly regulated, it will be close enough to work with a variety of ammo.  This utility can be expanded by breaking free of the mode of thinking that you MUST zero at exactly 100 or 200 yards.  You can shift the curve of an ammo to fit the BDC by zeroing at, say 225 yards instead of 200 yards if you are shooting ammo that is a bit slower.

I need to work up a big detailed post of this with a bunch of different ammo, a bunch of different chrono data, and a bunch of strelok reticle photos to illustrate this, and beg someone to make it a sticky.  I have shared this info no less than a dozen times.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like the idea of the PST Gen 2 line as a turn key solution for my rifles.

So thoughts?

EDIT:

Rifles will be used our to 500 yards.

View Quote
PST Gen 2 will be a good fit.

1-6 on the 14.5.

I have a PST Gen 2 3-15 on my PRS Gas Gun rifle.  I am impressed with it, but I don't have much experience with it yet frankly.

BDC for quick and dirty fighting rifle.

MRAD or MOA scope for more precision.  I went MRAD.

I like BDC type reticles on my low powered optics.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The PST Gen2 doesn't offer a BDC now that I look at it.

Either the MRAD or the MOA version will work.  You just need to learn your holds.  I do like the simplicity of a BDC.  The JM-1 reticle was a large part of the reason I bought a Razor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But now I’m thinking that perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself with BDC reticles. I know they are busy by definition and I’m wondering if I switch to a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 with MOA reticle for both rifles; specifically the 1-6x on the 14.5” and a 2-10x on the DD.

View Quote
The PST Gen2 3-15 is only less than 2 ounces heavier than the 2-10 and it is available with the excellent EBR-2C reticle.  I wager you will be glad you went to that scope over the 2-10 when the wind is blowing.  Just my .02.

I haven't used the Primary Arms scopes but I know many people are very happy with them.  I don't mean to disparage them in any way.  I am well pleased with my Vortex optics.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The PST Gen2 3-15 is only less than 2 ounces heavier than the 2-10 and it is available with the excellent EBR-2C reticle.  I wager you will be glad you went to that scope over the 2-10 when the wind is blowing.  Just my .02.

I haven't used the Primary Arms scopes but I know many people are very happy with them.  I don't mean to disparage them in any way.  I am well pleased with my Vortex optics.
View Quote
I was planning on putting the 3-15x MOA Gen 2 on my 24” 6.5cm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty fair assessment. I have a TA31-D (geared to M193) that also works wonderfully with 77gr loads zero'd that way. Plus/minus 3" out to 600 is more about me being able to do a) range estimation and b) dope the wind.

I would say to the OP, if you are considering a particular BDC reticle, go back to the company and ASK them what are the specific MOA drops between their hashmarks. First response is likely to be something like quoting from their own manual, e.g., "Zero at 100 and at 300 you'll be dead-on, blah, blah..."  Don't settle for that; you want to know the actual divisions between them. If they publish a detailed image of their reticle, great. Then, using basic ballistic software, you can often find a slightly altered zero that you can do - as samuse pointed out above - that makes your load work for you in practical terms.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you guys want my opinion...
View Quote
Id be interested when you get a moment... TIA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You guys know you can always hit me up with questions and I'm happy to run numbers too, either to confirm or to try to find a better solution. I do it all the time, it's part of my job and I enjoy it.
View Quote
Fair enough. Everyone has their own set of circumstances they live in (e.g., clone attacks) & that can be respected. I've found as you indicate that the better firms' support folks are like you, in that they eat this stuff up & are happy to engage with someone on specific questions.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
@PA_Mike

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. This obsession of mine came from seeing the reticles PA has been putting out. But my issue with PA (respectfully) is that they only have 1 option for a high-end glass LPVO.

Vortex’s PST II line is a solid option that covers all my bases.

However, I feel like I’m “missing out” if I don’t go with a BDC reticle.

However, when I used StrelokPro, the 1-8x platinum lines up perfectly with my Mk12, but none of the BDCs worked as well with my 14.5”.

This is why I’m at a loss. On one hand, I have proof for one of my rifles that BDC is great. On the other, MOA works well and I can have cross rifle uniformity.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I have spent 35 years shooting NRA/DCM/CMP tournaments and over that course of time have been very comfortable clicking elevation and windage over the course of fire .

BDC is fast and furious for GI's to quickly get on target, not necessarily for great precision. It's a rough tool for close enough.

Learning mildot or moa drops isn't as fast as BDC but can help with ranging.

I zero every rifle I own that doesn't have a BDC at 200 yards. I know my clicks from years of practice.

Use what works for you and what you feel the most comfortable with. If you get a BDC, zero it at 300 yards using the 300 yard hash mark. Doing this will  balance the BDC for use with your ammo and rifle combination.

You may be a little high or a little low at other distances, but overall you rifle will work with your BDC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not really.  Measuring stuff with a reticle and calculating range is not a good way to do things.  You're almost just as well off to just walk 'em and skip the math.  The best you'll likely do is a smidge over  50% first round hit probability.
View Quote
You must be joking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You must be joking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You must be joking.
How much UKD shooting have you done in real conditions??
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Think he may be one real deal guys on here... Unless Im mistaken
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You must be joking.
22 years worth in SOF and as an instructor in a few venues. You?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you’re saying an MOA reticle is the way to go?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly, and I'd go mils before MOA. I do need to explain that I differentiate between a grid and BDC, though. Grid (Horus type) is good. BDC (stadia set up for assumed ammunition, barrel length and conditions) is a cookie cutter for Joe to be good enough for government work.

The issue to which I took exception was that mil relation isn't useful and one should just start shooting and drag shots into place. It's silly. Yes, one should "click and drag" from observed impact to put a follow up shot on target, but the first shot should be a very educated guess. Lacking a workable range card or LRF, mil relation is pretty useful for first-round hits and setting up for reengagement. One can use a dope chart to reference anatomy and environmental measurements, as well as hold overs from a PBZ, to make quick work of it. In any case, you need a starting point for range estimation when your PBZ runs out, and mil relation is a good option.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OK so what I'm saying here is my personal opinion and not official Primary Arms policy or anything, although I'm likely to reference our reticles since those are the ones I have the most experience with. If you want to defer to someone with superior experience, because your uncle was issued a Redfield Accu-Range back in World War Nam Storm and he swears it's all you'll ever need, ok, I'm not going to try to change your mind. This is just how I see it as a guy who does more shooting with all of these systems than the average bear, and sees how customers actually use our stuff.

1. Plain reticles. Duplex Crosshair, German #4, fine crosshair, etc. If you prefer this because the other reticles seem "too busy" that tells me the added information the other reticles provide is useless to you. You don't see the need for any other visual cues because you'll never use them, because the only kind of shooting you do is on a square range with targets at known distances, close enough that bullet drop isn't a factor. This isn't an insult-- I was that guy for a long time. The only ranges I had access to topped out at 100 yards and we had to shoot sitting down at a bench, the range officers wouldn't even let us shoot from prone. In this situation I just sighted in at 100 yards and that's all the rifle or myself ever got to to do. One shot every 3 seconds, please. And, I didn't know what I was missing. I never had to compensate for wind really, never had to worry about bullet drop, never had to worry about range estimation, any of that stuff. So hey, simple crosshair "always worked for me" as long as I was chained down to that kind of shooting. This can actually get pretty extreme-- benchrest shooters use second focal plane scopes with fine crosshairs, right? Their targets are always at 1000 yards, they always have a dedicated time opportunity to sight in before the match starts, and they use mechanical clicks for all corrections. So yay, people use a simple crosshair at 1000 yards, it can be done.

The downside of the simple crosshair is, if I had gone out on a hunt and spotted a lovely deer walking at an unknown distance past 200 yards, with a 10 mph wind pushing left to right, I would have to say "That's an impossible shot" with my setup and not even try it. Then the game becomes, can I stalk to within what I think is 100 yards of this deer and wait for the wind to die down, so I can take a shot that is within the limited capabilities of rifle and shooter. Honestly, if you aren't shooting out to a distance where wind calls matter or bullet drop matters, get a $150 red dot from us and enjoy superior speed up close, and spend the rest of the money on something else. You don't really need a 1-6x24 or a 4-14x44 to shoot stationary targets inside 100 yards.

2. BDC reticles. BDC reticles work great if you are running a fairly standard setup and standard ammo. The more closely your setup aligns with the "native" specifications of the BDC reticle, the better. Military guys have taken some pretty amazing shots with 4x ACOGs because the BDC for their issued optic is tuned specifically for the exact ammo (62 grain M855) and barrel length (14.5") of their rifle. In that case the BDC is dead on all the way out to 600 yards. If you take the same exact scope and you put it on a 20" M16A2 and you feed it 55 grain M193 ammo, you'll be close, maybe close enough to get a hit somewhere on target, but you won't be optimal. With a ballistic calculator like StrelokPro or BallisticAE you can come up with a custom "zero offset" where you sight in an inch high at 100 yards or something to help the rest of the BDC fall into line. You also might need to calculate a custom offset to account for other factors like weather or altitude above sea level. For example in our ACSS 5.56 system, if you are running 62 grain M855 through a 16" barrel, if you are 1000 ft above sea level we recommend zeroing half an inch high at 100 yards. If you are 2000 ft above sea level, zero dead on at 100 yards. If you are 3000 ft above sea level, zero half an inch low at 100 yards. So even with a BDC there is some ability to adjust and optimize accuracy. The advantage of a BDC is that once you've sighted in, you don't have to do math, you don't have to count clicks, you just hold over using the aiming cues which are labeled nicely for you. It's great for police and military applications where the rifle might sit in a truck for 6 months before being grabbed in an emergency by anyone wearing a uniform or badge. Bad guy at 300 yards, you think? Ok, hold to the hash mark labeled "3" and start shooting immediately, and you are likely to score a hit SOMEWHERE in the first few rounds. For military, police, or tactical competition style shooting, it's fantastic. If you have our ACSS reticle you can even estimate range through the reticle, compensate for wind conditions, or take shots at moving targets, if you understand how the reticle works. Is it busy? Yes, because it's offering you more information you can use to make a smarter decision about where to aim.  Speaking just for myself, I don't even see the parts of the reticle I'm not using at any given moment. I honestly forget the ranging ladders are there on our reticles because I've never used them, because all my shooting is still at targets of known distance in advance. So, my particular brain pretty much chooses to look right past the ranging ladder. Other guys might spend all their time being frustrated and angry that the damn ranging ladder is in the way and they've still never even used it ONE time... right?

3. Grid reticles. Grid reticles are the most accurate, but they come with a heavier workload. Reticle designers try to make the grids easy to navigate but the bottom line is that the numbers next to the grid are mathematical in MOA / MRAD, not actual yardage. So if you're hunting with a grid reticle and your hunting buddy uses a laser rangefinder to tell you that the deer is at 350 yards, and you get excited and hold halfway between the "3" and "4" hash marks on the grid reticle, you are likely to miss. Instead you need to remember your exact drops that you painstakingly calculated earlier, that your bullet actually drops 4.7 MOA at 350 yards so you need to hold just a bit high of the number "5" MOA hash mark to hit. I would never take a grid reticle out into the field without a pretty detailed dope sheet taped to the stock or to my forearm or something for quick reference, and even then, I'm going to be much slower to engage than I would be with a BDC (because I have to look away from my scope and target to reference my sheet-- hope the target isn't moving while I do this!). I trade speed for accuracy-- I have a higher chance of hitting that deer with my first shot, because this rifle is mine and I know everything about the bullet's behavior at various distances and winds, I calculated it all myself, and now I benefit from all that homework by taking a better first shot than I could with a BDC. This is especially true for non-standard configurations, like guys who are taking 12.5" 6.5 Grendel pistol builds out to 600 yards. That's pretty badass but nobody is going to make a BDC for that, right? They have to create their own BDC by doing the math ahead of time. The grid reticles also give you many more holdover points than a BDC does, which adds much more accuracy potential while also making the reticle even busier. Shooters who are averse to "busy" reticles have heart attacks when they look through an MOA grid, but if your game is to hit playing cards at unknown distances between 400 and 700 yards, it's the only way to go.

In summary:
Plain crosshair-- highly controlled shooting environments, or beginner level shooters
BDC-- maximum speed and ease of use, or intermediate level shooters
Grid-- maximum accuracy, speed penalty, maximum complexity, or advanced level shooters
View Quote
You're  an expert and I'm just a hunter.  But I'd disagree with you at least on duplex reticle.  I set up my scopes for max point blank range, which may be about 325 yds for my rifle (or close to a 200 yd zero).  I know an elk is about 28" from shoulder to brisket.  It isn't hard to figure out at what magnification  the duplex subtends 28" at 325 yards.  I know at glance whether or not I'm within my definition of point blank or not.

True, it takes more mental gymnastics to deal with a longer shot.  It can still be done though if you know the specifics of the scope.

I've resisted BDC scopes because in the very low light 1/2 hour before sunrise, which is legal here, I dont want to try and figure out which hash mark is the correct hash mark.

I think it comes down to what specific situation are you thinking about.  In all reality the last 3 elk (cows) I've shot were all under 50 yards and in heavy timber.  Hunting somewhere where you are lucky to get within 400 or 500 yards of a critter in windy conditions I might choose a different method.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK so what I'm saying here is my personal opinion and not official Primary Arms policy or anything, although I'm likely to reference our reticles since those are the ones I have the most experience with. If you want to defer to someone with superior experience, because your uncle was issued a Redfield Accu-Range back in World War Nam Storm and he swears it's all you'll ever need, ok, I'm not going to try to change your mind. This is just how I see it as a guy who does more shooting with all of these systems than the average bear, and sees how customers actually use our stuff.

1. Plain reticles. Duplex Crosshair, German #4, fine crosshair, etc. If you prefer this because the other reticles seem "too busy" that tells me the added information the other reticles provide is useless to you. You don't see the need for any other visual cues because you'll never use them, because the only kind of shooting you do is on a square range with targets at known distances, close enough that bullet drop isn't a factor. This isn't an insult-- I was that guy for a long time. The only ranges I had access to topped out at 100 yards and we had to shoot sitting down at a bench, the range officers wouldn't even let us shoot from prone. In this situation I just sighted in at 100 yards and that's all the rifle or myself ever got to to do. One shot every 3 seconds, please. And, I didn't know what I was missing. I never had to compensate for wind really, never had to worry about bullet drop, never had to worry about range estimation, any of that stuff. So hey, simple crosshair "always worked for me" as long as I was chained down to that kind of shooting. This can actually get pretty extreme-- benchrest shooters use second focal plane scopes with fine crosshairs, right? Their targets are always at 1000 yards, they always have a dedicated time opportunity to sight in before the match starts, and they use mechanical clicks for all corrections. So yay, people use a simple crosshair at 1000 yards, it can be done.

The downside of the simple crosshair is, if I had gone out on a hunt and spotted a lovely deer walking at an unknown distance past 200 yards, with a 10 mph wind pushing left to right, I would have to say "That's an impossible shot" with my setup and not even try it. Then the game becomes, can I stalk to within what I think is 100 yards of this deer and wait for the wind to die down, so I can take a shot that is within the limited capabilities of rifle and shooter. Honestly, if you aren't shooting out to a distance where wind calls matter or bullet drop matters, get a $150 red dot from us and enjoy superior speed up close, and spend the rest of the money on something else. You don't really need a 1-6x24 or a 4-14x44 to shoot stationary targets inside 100 yards.

2. BDC reticles. BDC reticles work great if you are running a fairly standard setup and standard ammo. The more closely your setup aligns with the "native" specifications of the BDC reticle, the better. Military guys have taken some pretty amazing shots with 4x ACOGs because the BDC for their issued optic is tuned specifically for the exact ammo (62 grain M855) and barrel length (14.5") of their rifle. In that case the BDC is dead on all the way out to 600 yards. If you take the same exact scope and you put it on a 20" M16A2 and you feed it 55 grain M193 ammo, you'll be close, maybe close enough to get a hit somewhere on target, but you won't be optimal. With a ballistic calculator like StrelokPro or BallisticAE you can come up with a custom "zero offset" where you sight in an inch high at 100 yards or something to help the rest of the BDC fall into line. You also might need to calculate a custom offset to account for other factors like weather or altitude above sea level. For example in our ACSS 5.56 system, if you are running 62 grain M855 through a 16" barrel, if you are 1000 ft above sea level we recommend zeroing half an inch high at 100 yards. If you are 2000 ft above sea level, zero dead on at 100 yards. If you are 3000 ft above sea level, zero half an inch low at 100 yards. So even with a BDC there is some ability to adjust and optimize accuracy. The advantage of a BDC is that once you've sighted in, you don't have to do math, you don't have to count clicks, you just hold over using the aiming cues which are labeled nicely for you. It's great for police and military applications where the rifle might sit in a truck for 6 months before being grabbed in an emergency by anyone wearing a uniform or badge. Bad guy at 300 yards, you think? Ok, hold to the hash mark labeled "3" and start shooting immediately, and you are likely to score a hit SOMEWHERE in the first few rounds. For military, police, or tactical competition style shooting, it's fantastic. If you have our ACSS reticle you can even estimate range through the reticle, compensate for wind conditions, or take shots at moving targets, if you understand how the reticle works. Is it busy? Yes, because it's offering you more information you can use to make a smarter decision about where to aim.  Speaking just for myself, I don't even see the parts of the reticle I'm not using at any given moment. I honestly forget the ranging ladders are there on our reticles because I've never used them, because all my shooting is still at targets of known distance in advance. So, my particular brain pretty much chooses to look right past the ranging ladder. Other guys might spend all their time being frustrated and angry that the damn ranging ladder is in the way and they've still never even used it ONE time... right?

3. Grid reticles. Grid reticles are the most accurate, but they come with a heavier workload. Reticle designers try to make the grids easy to navigate but the bottom line is that the numbers next to the grid are mathematical in MOA / MRAD, not actual yardage. So if you're hunting with a grid reticle and your hunting buddy uses a laser rangefinder to tell you that the deer is at 350 yards, and you get excited and hold halfway between the "3" and "4" hash marks on the grid reticle, you are likely to miss. Instead you need to remember your exact drops that you painstakingly calculated earlier, that your bullet actually drops 4.7 MOA at 350 yards so you need to hold just a bit high of the number "5" MOA hash mark to hit. I would never take a grid reticle out into the field without a pretty detailed dope sheet taped to the stock or to my forearm or something for quick reference, and even then, I'm going to be much slower to engage than I would be with a BDC (because I have to look away from my scope and target to reference my sheet-- hope the target isn't moving while I do this!). I trade speed for accuracy-- I have a higher chance of hitting that deer with my first shot, because this rifle is mine and I know everything about the bullet's behavior at various distances and winds, I calculated it all myself, and now I benefit from all that homework by taking a better first shot than I could with a BDC. This is especially true for non-standard configurations, like guys who are taking 12.5" 6.5 Grendel pistol builds out to 600 yards. That's pretty badass but nobody is going to make a BDC for that, right? They have to create their own BDC by doing the math ahead of time, and if they hand their rifle to a friend, their friend needs to reference the dope sheet and maybe get coached up by the rifle owner before the shot is taken. The knowledge about where rifles hit using a grid reticle is not easily passed from shooter to shooter, not standardized where someone can train on a specific configuration and then always be effective just by grabbing one rifle out of many.

The grid reticles also give you many more holdover points than a BDC does, which adds much more accuracy potential while also making the reticle even busier. Shooters who are averse to "busy" reticles have heart attacks when they look through an MOA grid, but if your game is to hit playing cards at unknown distances between 400 and 700 yards, it's the only way to go.

In summary:
Plain crosshair-- highly controlled shooting environments, or beginner level shooters
BDC-- maximum speed and ease of use, or intermediate level shooters
Grid-- maximum accuracy, speed penalty, maximum complexity, or advanced level shooters
View Quote
Don't neglect the mil-dot/MLR/TMR types.  The later ones with the 0.2 mil marks for mil relation are pretty useful.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah but I already wrote a damn book there while I was on the clock at work, Rictus! LOL

Like I said, you could write a whole serious of blog articles about this stuff, and we are trying to. We have a "Scope University" section at the Primary Arms blog where we are trying to tackle a lot of this stuff.
View Quote
I know how it goes, man.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not exactly, and I'd go mils before MOA. I do need to explain that I differentiate between a grid and BDC, though. Grid (Horus type) is good. BDC (stadia set up for assumed ammunition, barrel length and conditions) is a cookie cutter for Joe to be good enough for government work.

The issue to which I took exception was that mil relation isn't useful and one should just start shooting and drag shots into place. It's silly. Yes, one should "click and drag" from observed impact to put a follow up shot on target, but the first shot should be a very educated guess. Lacking a workable range card or LRF, mil relation is pretty useful for first-round hits and setting up for reengagement. One can use a dope chart to reference anatomy and environmental measurements, as well as hold overs from a PBZ, to make quick work of it. In any case, you need a starting point for range estimation when your PBZ runs out, and mil relation is a good option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, first round hit probability ranging solely with the reticle is poor.  This has been demonstrated many times.

An educated guess and correcting follow up by observing impact is still walking it in.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like I said, first round hit probability ranging solely with the reticle is poor.  This has been demonstrated many times.

An educated guess and correcting follow up by observing impact is still walking it in.
View Quote
That's not accurate, IMO. Also, if you're doing mil relation right, you're going to do better than that. My last UKD shoot was 96/100 on nonstandard targets, with the one second-round hit for 6 points being on a mechanical KD mover at 700 yards (no follow up on the same target engaged). All ranges were determined through mil relation, as usual.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Upon what do you base your assertion, professionally speaking?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I have used a number of scopes with a BDC and found them to get me close, in some cases really close to where I wanted to be on the target. I found that in most cases I prefer a mil/mil optic and to run my ammo/data thru a chron. and a ballistics calculator, that gets me much closer to where I want to be on target and can use the reticle as a BDC b/c now I know exactly where my rounds will be. As a side note, I have had zero luck with BDC's designed for .22lr.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Huck, do you use a grid reticle when shooting this way? If not, how do you like to account for wind?

I've been asking some folks I respect about their techniques for wind compensation, and I've seen some interesting answers, I'm trying to get a handle on what techniques are most popular and effective. One of the big features of our ACSS system is the wind hold dots, but it helps me be a better marketing guy when I understand what other folks are doing when not using our reticles.
View Quote
Are you referencing the ACSS CQB designed for engagements to 600? If so, it looks to be a BDC reticle, right?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Huck, do you use a grid reticle when shooting this way? If not, how do you like to account for wind?

I've been asking some folks I respect about their techniques for wind compensation, and I've seen some interesting answers, I'm trying to get a handle on what techniques are most popular and effective. One of the big features of our ACSS system is the wind hold dots, but it helps me be a better marketing guy when I understand what other folks are doing when not using our reticles.
View Quote
I guess it depends on the rifle/ammo/optic combo and what I was shooting at. I have had good luck with the BDC reticles in RCO's and some Leupold scopes matching up and using the BDC reticle to compensate for wind when shooting man sized targets. But you have to be able to call the wind correctly, a very perishable skill. If I need to be more precise I prefer a mil/mil scope and dial for wind, but again a very perishable skill.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I guess it depends on the rifle/ammo/optic combo and what I was shooting at. I have had good luck with the BDC reticles in RCO's and some Leupold scopes matching up and using the BDC reticle to compensate for wind when shooting man sized targets. But you have to be able to call the wind correctly, a very perishable skill. If I need to be more precise I prefer a mil/mil scope and dial for wind, but again a very perishable skill.
View Quote
If you're using mil/mil I'd look at dialing elevation and holding wind on the reticle using a constant developed through a ballistics calculator, with the constant representing an average 1/4 mil base hold. Dialing isn't fluid and requires time (math and movement) to correct, and it leaves an extra adjustment on the optic. In simplest terms, multiply range in 100s by wind value (actual calculated effect according to speed and direction) by a constant determined by the normal temperature/barometric pressure/humidity (TBH) or density altutide you shoot in. An example would be using the "rule of nines" for M118LR. Distance in 100s (meters) x wind value / 9 = 1/4s mil hold. In other words, every 9 in the result from multiplying distance in 100s / wind value = 1/4 mil. A result of 27 would be 3/4 mil, 24 a "light" 3/4 mil (more than half-mil, less than 3/4 mil hold), and 30 a "heavy" 3/4 mil (more than 3/4 mil, less than 1 mil hold). A result of 36 would be 1 mil hold (9 = 1/4 mil, 9 x 4 = 36). It's a fluid system and plenty accurate. This meshes with a regular mil dot/TMR/MLR dialing for elevation, or grid reticle.

The "rule of nines" is a mathematical simplification of the wind formula for M118LR which uses a constant of 10 for deflection, which is (distance in 100s x wind value) / 35 for mils. However, 35 isn't divisible by 4, so we go to 36 for shooter's math (simplicity), as it's divisible by 9 (1/4 of 36) and close enough for good work. Every 9 is 1/4 mil, so the math is intuitive.

There are other bracketing formulas out there for doing the same thing if you poke around a bit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm referencing, although we don't call the ones that go to 600 a CQB reticle, technically. I'll tell a fun story real quick.

So, at 2018 SHOT Show we had our own shooting lane for the first time at Media Range Day. We brought three scopes and three rifles, all rifles were standard 16" AR15 carbines shooting Magtech bulk pack M193 ammo. We had our 1-8x Platinum ACSS scope, our 1-6x ACSS Raptor FFP scope, and our co-branded Trijicon ACOG TA31 4x ACSS scope. We had two steel targets in front of our lane, one at 100 yards and one at 500 yards. We had a pervasive 5-10mph wind pushing left to right all day long.

We had over 100 visitors come through the shooting lane and we blew through 2,000+ rounds of ammo that day. We were so slammed, I didn't even have lunch. I was so hoarse by the end of the day, I was worried I had trashed my voice for the rest of the week. I was spotting through my personal Bushnell spotting scope (because poorboi) and I managed to coach every single shooter to ring steel at 500 yards that day. Everyone who visited the lane hit the steel torso at 500, with no exceptions. Some of these shooters, especially the foreigners (there was a super cute cop from Brazil, dear God... but I digress), some of them had never fired a rifle past 50 yards in their whole life. To them 500 yards seemed impossible, it might as well be a mile away as far as they were concerned. But all I had to do was show them where to hold on the reticle, once they understood where the wind hold dot was for 500 yards, I got most of them to ring steel within 3 or 4 shots. Then we would hand them a new rifle and different scope and do it all again.

When they hit steel with the Raptor, I would oh-so-dramatically say "So you just hit a target at 500 yards on a windy day without doing any math or touching the turret, right? And this is a $400 scope with a lifetime warranty." Boy did their ears perk up at that. Best day at work ever!

Now, here's the really fun part. Right next to our lane was the lane for a very trendy, expensive laser-rangefinding-coupled optics company. Lets call them, I dunno, Pointing Track. You have to spend at least $4k to get in the door with these guys. Buying a fully integrated rifle system from them can cost up to $13,000. What their system does is, it turns your trigger into a "consent to release" button like the "pickle" button in a fighter-bomber. You don't press down the trigger to fire, you hold the trigger down as consent to release the shot, and when the system detects that your holdover angle matches the laser-calculated firing solution, it fires the gun for you at that precise moment. Cool huh? Except, it can't account for wind calls at all. So, I'm listening all day to their spotter calling out over and over again, "To the right... no, you're still to the right sir. To the right again, sir." The shooters were lasing the target, then pulling straight up to get their holdover and BAM the rifle would release and the wind would push the bullet clean away from the steel. The fact that we were achieving solid hits with a $400 scope that they could not match was just another reason why I consider that day my favorite day at work ever!

Here's some footage from that day as I'm spotting for my friend Ryan who goes by "Oregear" on YouTube. He's a great kid with a bright future. You can hear the wind. Ryan already has some ACSS stuff so he already knew the system and got on steel pretty much immediately. Skip to about 14:25, for some reason I can't do a link that's cued to a specific time in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_-UWOhsdDI

Best day at work. EVER.
View Quote
I appreciate the experience you describe, as I've had it myself. As for windage, if you're providing a canned BDC, then canned windage based on the same assumed barrel length, ammunition and atmospherics is acceptable. It's not precision, but at least better than ball park. For anything not locked into a particular set of barrel length/ammunition/environmental assumptions, I'd provide regular half-mil and mil references in "Christmas tree" fashion so calculations can be made according to end user needs..
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Rule of 9s is a great tool, I used it on active duty and when I was shooting my own 7.62 bolt gun. I retired in 2012, sold my 7.62 bolt gun last year and my local range only goes to 350 yds.

I have held wind in the past, as my eyes get older I find it harder to "see" 1/4 and 1/2 mils (if that makes sense) so I have started to dial wind in some cases. My local range only goes to 350 yds so most of the time I just hold center when shooting 5.56 (Shooting inside 350 yds with my RCO or red dot (PA MD) on my SBR). The same with  my 6.5G, inside 350 yds I just hold center. Since I built my 6.5G I don't really shoot 5.56 past 350 yds and I have not shot my 6.5G enough past 350 yds to really get to know how it shoots in the wind.

I find myself dialing wind shooting .22lr instead of holding most of the time. I can shoot out to 175 yds at the house with .22lr and have a little steel target range for rimfire. I tried a couple of scopes with a .22lr BDC and just haven't had much luck. I have a PA ACCS .22lr scope on a dedicated .22 AR, it is a nice scope for the money but I have not been able to get the BDC to match up with my rifle/ammo suppressor combo. I think I am going to try a PA ACSS GRIFFIN MIL Reticle scope, and run my data thru a chrono and a ballistic ap to come up with holds for elevation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#44]

While I'm not in the same league as Rictus, my humble opinion is I'm a fan of the BDC.

The one pictured is for 62 gr 5.56 off my Burris XTR II 1-5 LPVO.

Once zeroed at 100 yds, it will take you out to what I consider the top end of 5.56 which is around 500 yds.

I have made hits on steel using Wolf 62 gr.

I shoot it a lot and get comfortable with what it will and will not do...

I also recently switched from MOA to MILs in my precision rig and it has been eye opening... Should have done it years ago.

Find something you like... and use it and shoot it and get comfy with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Awhile ago on another board I monitored a thread where this guy was upset that our BDC was way, way off at 500 yards, and he was hopping mad about it. Turns out he's in France shooting a 5.45 AK, and you can't get 5.45 ammo there, so he's handloading using fire formed brass that started out as a different caliber entirely, and his bullets aren't really 5.45x39 pills either, he's buying bullets of the correct diameter commercially. That dude should not be using a standardized BDC reticle.

I'm a huge believer in grid reticles for precision, which is why I'm excited about the upcoming Athena and Hera reticles, in MRAD and MOA respectively. Tie these in with a quality ballistic calculator and you can really do work, but that takes a whole other level of dedication to the craft of shooting and understanding things like barometric pressure and ballistic coefficient. For every person I talk to that wants to learn how to use StrelokPro or BallisticAE, I talk to 30 guys that say "I don't need all that bullshit I just want it to hit at 800 yards, ok?"

.png]R-Grid 2B[/url] replaces the center section of Athena with a bold horseshoe and chevron, which is much faster to acquire at low magnifications. By the time you get past the useful range of the center chevron, the MRAD grid takes over anyway.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#46]
@PA_Mike

So I was doing some research and came across your 1-8x Platinum Griffin MIL

And it looks amazing.

Essentially similar to the NF 1-8x ATACR; which is exactly what I want.

I love that you have the ranging ladders and target leads and I think it will be a perfect optic for my 14.5” AR.

I plan on running a 3-15x on my SPR.

However, my question is this:

Why do you have another ranging ladder/BDC amongst the MIL tree? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a MIL tree reticle that can be applied to any caliber?

I hope that question makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Im starting to agree with that. I’m now thinking of the PST II 3-15x on my SPR and a PA 1-8x Platinum MIL on my 14.5”.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#49]
According to their website, the center hash marks on MIL 2, 3 and 4 are the width of a man at 400-600 yards respectively.

I am curious as to why they have that at all. Is it for ranging, or used as a BDC? If BDC, why have that on a MIL-based reticle?

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top