Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2018 10:35:48 AM EDT
I'm currently doing an SPR-esque build with an 18" HBAR from Criterion. Intended engagement range is 300-800m, with shots out to 1000m when bench resting for fun.

I'm planning on a FFP 3-15x scope since the weight difference between that and a 2-10/12x is negligeable.

For these relatively shorter engagements at lower mag ranges against multiple targets, should I opt for a mildot type reticle like the SCR, or the Horus? Never used a Horus type reticle but heard good things about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I find something like a Horus, xmas tree, ebr-2c, etc... to be about optimal.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#2]
my two cents

I got into longer range shooting with standard mil-dot.  in the middle of a long range class, my elevation turret broke, so the instructor was kind enough to let me use his Bushnell HDMR II 3.5-21X with H59.  I have never looked back after using it.  I was going from estimating b/t 1MIL dots to something that had holdover lines.  I could use the bottom grid out to about 600M for wind calls and elevation - no dialing.  (I was shooting 6.5G on a course that had 600 - 1000Y, from memory, 1K is a 13 MIL elevation dial/hold).  Yes, you can do all of this on a standard mil-dot, but the extra granularity and bottom grid are REALLY useful.  If you are using a round like 308 or 6.5C (everyone else was), you would never have to dial out to 1K.  I think 308 elevation holds were in the sub-10 range and 6.5C were in the mid-8's.

The elevation lead lines (those right on top of the horizontal stadia line that make a "hat" across the reticle) can be used to do distance/hold estimation without formulas or range finder.  We tested that out as well and it works well enough to make hits.

If I could do it over, the two scopes I have that are mil-dot would be H59's or Tremor3, or the Vortex EBR-2C.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mil-dot...especially if you are just learning the ropes with it.  That's my two cents from an average long range shooter that does not do competitions, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Vortex with the EBR-2C mrad reticle.  I like it.  Eliminates the need to dial in many circumstances.  Lack of windage holds is a deal breaker for me for shooting longer range, personally.    You COULD always dial but IMHO the reticle has great utility.  If you manage to spot your miss you have a useful reference point as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
H59's or Tremor3, or the Vortex EBR-2C.
View Quote
This. or the SKMR3
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Horus H102 illuminated and LOVE it! I was looking at a Steiner with the MSR reticle, but after shooting a friend's rifle, I'm glad I saved up a little more for the Horus.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
If you like the Horus, go for it.  There are lots of people that do.

I tried out ATACR 4-16s with the Tremor3 and the Mil-C.  With the T3, the reticle got very small at lower magnifications and became harder to use. The Mil-C, while small, was still very usable.

Though I can see the usefulness of the Horus, I don't find myself wishing for one unless I'm trying to 1) shoot really fast 2) in lots of wind 3) past 600 yards.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top