BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2018 11:11:55 PM EDT
what says the hive on these? lightweight 16" cheapo build in 5.56
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
primary arms raptor, burris rt6, or maybe a steiner p4xi if you catch a really good sale and a coupon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Steiner
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
^ what he said.  Best value around that price point.  If it’s a little above your price point, sell some blood.  Tons of threads on this scope.

This is good advice.  Let us know how you like it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#4]
VXR(add to cart for best price @$382)
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VXR(add to cart for best price @$382)
View Quote
I really want to try one of these... I've got a P4Xi on a 11.5" SBR.

But i'm assembling another 11.5" and was just going to go with another P4Xi , anyone have both with some input?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But i'm assembling another 11.5" and was just going to go with another P4Xi , anyone have both with some input?
View Quote
Id stick w/ what you know if you dont have any major complaints w/ the Steiner. I dont see it lacking compared to VX series. Familiarity...
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I sold my VX Patrol for the P4xi and just got some rounds through the latter this week. The Steiner is without a doubt the superior LPVO. Glass is similarly crisp but there's less blurring and bleed at the edges, especially when at four power. The eyebox is more forgiving at one power and anecdotally the FOV 'feels' a bit wider at one power. The Leupold is a fine, fine optic and for the money, it's a no brainer. But in absolute terms I prefer the Steiner. It's very impressive for $500(ish) optic.

I will say that the weight of the Leupy was impressive. Or the lack thereof, I should say.

ETA: Both optics sat atop an 18" upper, just for context. So, more of a patrol rifle setup than an SBR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sold my VX Patrol for the P4xi and just got some rounds through the latter this week. The Steiner is without a doubt the superior LPVO. Glass is similarly crisp but there's less blurring and bleed at the edges, especially when at four power. The eyebox is more forgiving at one power, and anecdotally the FOV 'feels' a bit wider at one power. The Leupold is a fine, fine optic and for the money, it's a no brainer. But in absolute terms, I'd absolutely prefer the Steiner. It's very impressive for $500(ish) optic.

I will say that the weight of the Leupy was impressive. Or the lack thereof, I should say.

ETA: Both optics sat atop an 18" upper, just for context. So, more of a patrol rifle setup than an SBR.
View Quote
Thanks for the comparison. Yeah the weight of the VXR is what had me wanting to try one... I'll just grab another P4xi more than likely. Been a solid optic thus far and I've used it fairly hard.

I agree ICU on sticking with what your familiar with, the weight of the VXR is what had me intrigued
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x firedots can be had for around $400 if you look around.

Great LPVO
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
If the VX-R Patrol has a 30mm tube, why does it have a 20mm objective?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
The Steiner is great, but I am stuck on how nice the glass is on the Burris RT6 for less than $300.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The Steiner is great, but I am stuck on how nice the glass is on the Burris RT6 for less than $300.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Not intending to thread jack but RT6 owners; is it truly rugged enough for duty/combat?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
p4xi should be the only option at this price point.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
RT6 seems to be the best for the money.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not intending to thread jack but RT6 owners; is it truly rugged enough for duty/combat?
View Quote
My opinion: The only thing in the $400 range that qualifies says Aimpoint on the side.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My opinion: The only thing in the $400 range that qualifies says Aimpoint on the side.
View Quote
I'll agree with this, and go a step further: the only thing that qualifies is something with redundant backups and the ability to be replaced quickly by the dude in the arms room.

You're playing the odds with any optic, because some percentage of every single optic will fail, at which point you have a backup sighting system, and after using said backup you're able to return to someplace that can quickly swap out your failed optic for one that works. That's what makes an optic truly combat-ready, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
P4Xi
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aimpoint doesn't make a LPVO.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

In other words, there are no LPVO in that range that I would consider for duty.  In fact, the only optic that I would consider for a duty gun in that range would be the Aimpoint PRO.

I have a hard time finding a low to mid $$$ LPVO that I would trust.  They really are inherently fragile.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess I should have been more specific. Chances are I won't be falling out of MH-6s or surviving to fight after a VBIED explosion, or being engulfed in flames in a fire.
My intentions are to acquire an LPVO that can withstand hard regular use with some banging around and other CONUS-practical neglect.
These are all electronic devices with glass components, so logic tells me they are ALL subject to failure.
I justice noticed after doing a little research, Burris themselves and a couple third parties mention the RT6 being suitable for "duty".
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I guess I should have been more specific. Chances are I won't be falling out of MH-6s or surviving to fight after a VBIED explosion, or being engulfed in flames in a fire.
My intentions are to acquire an LPVO that can withstand hard regular use with some banging around and other CONUS-practical neglect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think it the RT6 would fine on a kick around rifle.  It wouldn't be my first choice for one that was primarily for defensive use, although it would likely be just fine.  So far I continue to be impressed with it.

These are all electronic devices with glass components, so logic tells me they are ALL subject to failure.
I justice noticed after doing a little research, Burris themselves and a couple third parties mention the RT6 being suitable for "duty".
True enough, all optics are relatively fragile.   They are not all equally fragile. If I had to put a less expensive optic on something I would have to depend on, it would certainly be a prism or red dot.  
A variable power scope is a more complex animal. To bring it in at a price point, you have to make more compromises.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think it the RT6 would fine on a kick around rifle.  It wouldn't be my first choice for one that was primarily for defensive use, although it would likely be just fine.  So far I continue to be impressed with it.
View Quote
That's good hear. I don't wont to go all out for my first LPVO and the RT6 is starting to sound like a good middle ground to start with.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's good hear. I don't wont to go all out for my first LPVO and the RT6 is starting to sound like a good middle ground to start with.
View Quote
I was impressed enough to buy one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top