Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2018 1:46:01 PM EDT
Weaver is $200 from Natchez and I don’t need new rings.

The VX-R can be found for around $400 with careful shopping, but I need new rings.

SFP on a 10x or less scope seems fine. Will be used on a 16 inch .308 for shots no more than 500 yards. Probably some deer/bear hunting. Is the Leupy glass twice as good?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the weaver.  glass is very good, don't have a Leupold to compare with though.

For $200, I don't think you can go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The VX-R can be found for around $400 with careful shopping, but I need new rings.

SFP on a 10x or less scope seems fine. Will be used on a 16 inch .308 for shots no more than 500 yards. Probably some deer/bear hunting. Is the Leupy glass twice as good?
View Quote
No idea on the Weaver but the VX-R Patrol is a great optic. I've got one on a Sig .308 and have nothing bad to really say about it.... excellent glass and the firedot is daylight bright in my opinion. Optics Planet has it on sale for $499.99 with a Leupold one piece mount and you can use one of the 10% off discount codes from the Optics Planet code thread on here and you'll be at $450.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
VX-R Patrol 3x9 $383 (add to cart)

link
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VX-R Patrol 3x9 $383 (add to cart)

link
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the VX-R Patrol 3-9x40, and love it.  The glass is very good, and the FireDot illumination is excellent.

I have never used that Weaver, but it was a scope that I strongly considered before buying the Leupold.  I would say that if you don't feel like you're stretching your budget too far, get the Leupold (FYI it used to be $500-600).  If you don't need illumination, then the Weaver is a great deal, especially at that price.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO that daylight bright firedot is worth the extra coin... Not to mention the better glass, 30mm tube(more adj) & tracks just as well as the Weaver.  I have the Weaver w/ no complaints, but $384 is a good deal!
That VXR would look good on that Model 7
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep
View Quote
I love that site. The can deals they had over the summer...
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have both.  Apples and oranges.  Both are very good for their intended purpose.  While both are mil/mil and are of a similar power range, the VX-R Patrol has a much stronger 30mm main tube and the incredibly versatile and effective Firedot motion-activated illumination, which can be left on 24/7/365.  Yes, VX-R glass is better, but the price difference reflects more than just glass.

If you need a basic no-frills tactical scope that hits way above its weight class, the Weaver GST really can be beat. You'll not beat the Japanese glass at that price point, or even for $100 more.

But, the VX-R Patrol is objectively better in many ways.

How much better depends on what is important to you.  For hunting, the VX-R's illuminated reticle that conserves battery life by powering off when still for 5 minutes, is much better in low light when game is most active.  The better glass also extends hunting time in low light.  The illuminated .3mil center dot will get you on moving game much quicker, as well.  The thicker walled main tube is far less likely to be bent in a hard fall in the field.  The low profile turrets are also better for a field rifle than the tall turrets of the GST.

I use the GST on a long range bolt Sako in 6mm that is shot from bench or prone in good light.  It is quite adequate in that role, but the VX-R is better for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have both.  Apples and oranges.  Both are very good for their intended purpose.  While both are mil/mil and are of a similar power range, the VX-R Patrol has a much stronger 30mm main tube and the incredibly versatile and effective Firedot motion-activated illumination, which can be left on 24/7/365.  Yes, VX-R glass is better, but the price difference reflects more than just glass.

If you need a basic no-frills tactical scope that hits way above its weight class, the Weaver GST really can be beat. You'll not beat the Japanese glass at that price point, or even for $100 more.

But, the VX-R Patrol is objectively better in many ways.

How much better depends on what is important to you.  For hunting, the VX-R's illuminated reticle that conserves battery life by powering off when still for 5 minutes, is much better in low light when game is most active.  The better glass also extends hunting time in low light.  The illuminated .3mil center dot will get you on moving game much quicker, as well.  The thicker walled main tube is far less likely to be bent in a hard fall in the field.  The low profile turrets are also better for a field rifle than the tall turrets of the GST.

I use the GST on a long range bolt Sako in 6mm that is shot from bench or prone in good light.  It is quite adequate in that role, but the VX-R is better for hunting.
View Quote
Thank you! Goal is to order the VX-R in the next couple of weeks
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top