Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2018 6:36:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for a scope mount for a Kahles K16i 1-6x scope and was looking for some input. My requirements are as follows (in order of precedence):

- Extremely Durable (Worthy to be put on a work rifle)
- Light Weight
- Affordable (I'm willing to pay for quality, but who doesn't want to save a few bucks right? lol)
- QD is not required. Once mounted; that's it. It's living on that rifle.

Given the requirements, I think of the Geissele Super Precision Mounts. Having said that, Larue and ADM mounts can be found for pretty cheap on the EE. Larue non-QD options, new aren't too expensive either. Scalarworks 30mm mounts look pretty cool, but cost $400 and I'm not sure how durable they are.

Just wanted to see what you guys think and if anyone had some input. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Geissele
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Warne is pretty good for around $100.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
here it is
View Quote
This was my thoughts as well. Get Jon's scope caps as well. Having said that there is a fair amount of quality choices.

http://www.aadmount.com/
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you dont need QD id be looking at Warne or maybe one of the Seekins mounts to try to shave some weight off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Geissele, wait for a sale and you can find them for around $240-260.  There’s a 1.93” in the EE now for $225.
Otherwise, I’d look at Badger.  Their Recon Unimount would work really well if you don’t need/want a 1.93” or 2.04” mount.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Geissele, wait for a sale and you can find them for around $240-260.  There’s a 1.93” in the EE now for $225.
Otherwise, I’d look at Badger.  Their Recon Unimount would work really well if you don’t need/want a 1.93” or 2.04” mount.
View Quote
Aw helle naw.
For less money you can buy Badger Ordnance Rings. Badger has been making essentially bullet proof rings since well before Geissele jumped in. Lot less money than the big G and essentially the same quality.

ETA: Badger is what is on my M14/ M21 type rifle. Rock solid, no shift. Jon Wolfe, a well known M14 gunsmith uses them on most of his scoped builds. $169.99 all day long at Brownells, but can be had for less if you shop around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Warne is pretty good for around $100.
View Quote
X2 for the Warne mount. They are unbelievably rugged. There are probably other mounts that are lighter but the Warne Skel mounts are as rock solid as you can find.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Here we go again

It's kind of like a Grendel vs 6.8 thread
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aw helle naw.
For less money you can buy Badger Ordnance Rings. Badger has been making essentially bullet proof rings since well before Geissele jumped in. Lot less money than the big G and essentially the same quality.

ETA: Badger is what is on my M14/ M21 type rifle. Rock solid, no shift. Jon Wolfe, a well known M14 gunsmith uses them on most of his scoped builds. $169.99 all day long at Brownells, but can be had for less if you shop around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aw helle naw.

I really like my Badger one piece mounts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Warne X-skel is a solid choice.  You want the extended eye relief.

I am sure the Geissele is a great mount, but holy $.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#12]
LaRue has an introductory price on their new mount (click adjustments as opposed to needing a wrench). $140 through Christmas. I know you said you don't need QD but $140 for a brand new LaRue mount is hard to beat.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LaRue has an introductory price on their new mount (click adjustments as opposed to needing a wrench). $140 through Christmas. I know you said you don't need QD but $140 for a brand new LaRue mount is hard to beat.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/
View Quote
I would probably go this route as I've been happy with my Larue mounts and the price is pretty good right now.

All the major companies make good mounts.  The only ones I don't use anymore are Bobro.

G's are very pretty, nicely machined and a great option if you don't mind dropping the cash.  The NF Unimounts and Badger mounts are cheaper and provide the same functionality.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My current list and what I personally spend my money on.

If you're on a budget:
- Warne if you want a bit more robust
- Aero Precision if you want a bit less weight

If you want the best and don't wipe your ass with cash:
- Nightforce
- JP
- Badger
- AAD
- Seekins
- Vortex branded Seekins
- IOR
- Larue
- ADM

If you want the best and wipe your ass with cash:
- Geissele
- Sphur
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I wipe my ass with cash. To be fair, it's probably softer than wiping it with my Spuhr mount.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#16]
If you got the cash grab the new scalarworks 30mm mount.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Geissele mounts do everything I want a non QD mount to do and then some.

The new Larue LT204 for 140 is really really really hard to beat on any scale- thats a hell of a lot of mount for the money.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the Aero Precision mounts.  Lightweight, reasonable cost and durable enough.  Not the quality of a Geissele or other high end mount but I never had one fail me in any way.  I have seven of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
5.48 oz. Scalarworks Leap 30mm. Costs a bunch but it's high quality and good lookin. I like that the base is skinny, nothing sticking out like a QD lever or nut attachment. It still has QD though.
This is going on a Noveske rifle with vortex razor hd gen 2-e.

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Geissele.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only ones I don't use anymore are Bobro.
View Quote
What did Bobro do to you?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What did Bobro do to you?
View Quote
Two mounts that wouldn't hold zero in a row. Their dependence on a spring to hold zero and no machined in recoil lug causes issues. They don't generate enough clamping force to keep mounts from sliding around, so if the spring recoil lug shrinks you will see .005+ in front to back movement.

In my case, both mounts failed after ~500 rounds. One rifle went from around .5moa to over 1.25moa. The other went from about 1moa to 3+moa. In both cases, dropping the scopes in a G mount fixed the problems. Bobro repaired the mounts/replaced the spring lugs and I sold them as I see it as a design flaw.

Interestingly, the models they cut for Trijicon no longer have the spring lug design. Instead they will always have .001 to .002 front to back movement, but no chance for it to grow.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone used the Brownells 30mm Cantilever Mount?  They are on sale this week for $59.99

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/mount-sets/30mm-ar-style-rifle-cantilever-scope-mount-prod113444.aspx

I received one in a trade and it seems to be pretty well made.  It says its made in the USA.  Normally sells for $120

Looks like it could be made my Vortex or Warne.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has anyone used the Brownells 30mm Cantilever Mount?  They are on sale this week for $59.99

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/mount-sets/30mm-ar-style-rifle-cantilever-scope-mount-prod113444.aspx

I received one in a trade and it seems to be pretty well made.  It says its made in the USA.  Normally sells for $120

Looks like it could be made my Vortex or Warne.
View Quote
I think it looks more like a Leupold MK IV IMS than Vortex or Warne.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
5.48 oz. Scalarworks Leap 30mm. Costs a bunch but it's high quality and good lookin. I like that the base is skinny, nothing sticking out like a QD lever or nut attachment. It still has QD though.
This is going on a Noveske rifle with vortex razor hd gen 2-e.

https://i.imgur.com/eLYRgDo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cEq66SG.jpg
View Quote
I really wish they would release one with 1/2" nuts on it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Larue 204 on sale thru Christmas and a chance to win a uu kit.
What more could you want,the best mount out there at sub 150 money. Get a mbt trigger too at 87 bucks they rock.
Pete

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive got the Scalarworks LEAP Scope mount and it is awesome. But I only spent that kind of money because I was needing it to be as light as possible. Geissele during scratch and dent sales is probably the overall best value. I also have an old Alamo 4 Star (Now ZRO Delta) mount that has had a gazillion scopes in it and no issues.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really wish they would release one with 1/2" nuts on it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm interested in user reviews with heavier optics. I worry it will be difficult to tighten the design properly.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm interested in user reviews with heavier optics. I worry it will be difficult to tighten the design properly.
View Quote
It actually feels more like you are ratcheting than tightening.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Larue 204 on sale thru Christmas and a chance to win a uu kit.
What more could you want,the best mount out there at sub 150 money. Get a mbt trigger too at 87 bucks they rock.
Pete
View Quote
They cam directly on the rail.  I don't like that.  It rips up the rail unnecessarily.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They cam directly on the rail.  I don't like that.  It rips up the rail unnecessarily.
View Quote
It doesn't do any damage other than cosmetic marring. Who cares about that on an AR15?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Aero if you want the lightest about, 3oz,

Nightforce Unimount if you will tolerate a bit more weight, 5oz
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#33]
My ADM recon mount has been thrown in barrels for about 4 years and has never been off zero more than an inch at 100 (i zero once a year before the start of 3 gun season usually).
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Lightest and lowest price? Aero
Most durable? G (or maybe Warne, dunno, don’t have one)
Best value? Larue 204
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Geissele
View Quote
Buy on EE & save
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top